Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 01:45 AM

215 posts, read 211,576 times

Advertisements

Of all the countries in the Anglosphere,I believe the US has the most European Jews in population and percentage.Why?

I know there are Jewish communities in countries like Canada,the U.K.,Australia,and New Zealand.However, those communities are much smaller in those countries.

What set the U.S. apart to attract European Jews to New York City,Cleveland,Chicago,etc,than say Perth,Vancouver,Calgary,or Brisbane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 02:38 AM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
Zionists*

Old 04-09-2021, 06:25 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,316,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastVigilante View Post
Of all the countries in the Anglosphere,I believe the US has the most European Jews in population and percentage.Why?

I know there are Jewish communities in countries like Canada,the U.K.,Australia,and New Zealand.However, those communities are much smaller in those countries.

What set the U.S. apart to attract European Jews to New York City,Cleveland,Chicago,etc,than say Perth,Vancouver,Calgary,or Brisbane?
Is the difference really that great in proportion to total population?

On that score, the same can be said other groups of immigrants. Moreover, certain time periods over the past 140 years or so should also be taken into account.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:11 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 5 days ago)

27,189 posts, read 13,477,157 times
Quote:

Many fled Europe due to WW2 and Anti-Jewish Communist states.

America was seen as a land of freedom, and NYC and other cities and areas became home to large Jewish communities.

The persecution of Jews is nothing knew and there was a long history in Europe of religious conflict in Europe.

Jews were massacred in Europe in medieval times, even in England, where there were famous massacres in York, Bury St Edmunds, Stamford, London etc, and in In 1290, all Jews were expelled from England by the Edict of Expulsion.

"One of the worst anti-Semitic massacres of the Middle Ages took place in York in 1190. The city’s entire Jewish community was trapped by an angry mob inside the tower of York Castle. Many members of the community chose to commit suicide rather than be murdered or forcibly baptised by the attackers".

Similar events occurred in other European countries, and after WW2 many were happy to move to the US, given Europe's history of religious intolerance.

THE MASSACRE AT CLIFFORD’S TOWER - English Heritage

History of the Jews in England (1066–1290) - Wikipedia

Edict of Expulsion - Wikipedia

Old Jewry - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-09-2021 at 07:28 AM..

Old 04-09-2021, 08:44 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,316,531 times
The Arabs, whose Semitic language is similar to that of the Jews, and north African groups took over large swathes of the Roman/Germanic Empire, namely in north Africa and a substantial portion of Spain/Portugal, as well as Sicily, Crete, Cyprus, and threatened France and southern Italy. These fledgling Europeans viewed many Jews who remained in those territories as allies of the new invaders/occupiers, a view that continued into the times of the European/Roman reconquest of England, Spain/Portugal, southern Italy, and their attempts to reconquer the eastern Mediterranean (where Greek, Slavic, and Semitic-speaking Christians fared no better on either end of the stick, but that's another story).

Similar view applies to Jews of the former Polish-Lithuanian Empire, sandwiched between the expanding European/German Empire and Russian Empire, and in many cases forced to either choose sides or flee.

By the way, this coincides with southern Italian emigration to New York City where census records show them and these former German/Polish-Lithuanian/Russian Jews living side by side on apartment building floors, even sharing a single bathroom per floor. I have personally been affected by many a marriage during that period.

Anyway, Westerners have favorable views of Jews today because they were natural allies against the Germans and for entrenching a beach head and gendarme on the shores of the eastern Mediterranean, killing two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Back on topic, I would not conclude that the US had a greater force of attraction for Jews than other English-speaking countries until any data is adjusted on a proportional per capita basis, going and coming, and broken down chronologically in greater global context.

Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The persecution of Jews is nothing knew and there was a long history in Europe of political conflict in Europe.

Jews were massacred in Europe in medieval times, even in England, where there were famous massacres in York, Bury St Edmunds, Stamford, London etc, and in In 1290, all Jews were expelled from England by the Edict of Expulsion.

"One of the worst anti-Semitic massacres of the Middle Ages took place in York in 1190. The city’s entire Jewish community was trapped by an angry mob inside the tower of York Castle. Many members of the community chose to commit suicide rather than be murdered or forcibly baptised by the attackers".

Similar events occurred in other European countries, and after WW2 many were happy to move to the US, given Europe's history of political intolerance.

Last edited by bale002; 04-09-2021 at 08:52 AM..

Old 04-09-2021, 11:12 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times
Quote:

Well, those are all much smaller countries to begin with overall, and that’s part of it.

You left out Toronto and Montreal in your examples and instead listed Vancouver and Calgary to compare to New York and Chicago. Why? Toronto is over 3% Jewish and Montreal 2-3%. It’s not NYC levels but those are fairly significant numbers. There are also plenty of US cities with 1% or less Jewish population like my city, Seattle.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:25 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Well, those are all much smaller countries to begin with overall, and that’s part of it.

You left out Toronto and Montreal in your examples and instead listed Vancouver and Calgary to compare to New York and Chicago. Why? Toronto is over 3% Jewish and Montreal 2-3%. It’s not NYC levels but those are fairly significant numbers. There are also plenty of US cities with 1% or less Jewish population like my city, Seattle.
Montreal and Toronto were definitely major Jewish migration destinations in a fairly similar way that cities of the US NE were.

In the case of Montreal many Jewish families actually arrived at Ellis Island and made their way north to Montreal by train.

It's extremely common for Jews in Canada's two biggest cities to have relatives in the US NE.

Also, Jewish populations in places like LA and Miami are more the result of secondary migrations of people already settled in the US NE than people who went directly there from Europe.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:31 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:

Why, is right.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:41 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,529,527 times
Quote:

Winnipeg is also 2% Jewish, and I think Ottawa has a significant percentage as well but I am not 100% sure of exactly how large that community is. It's really only the most Western provinces and the most eastern that lack big Jewish communities, because they didn't have big cities in the early 20th century.

Old 04-09-2021, 02:46 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Winnipeg is also 2% Jewish, and I think Ottawa has a significant percentage as well but I am not 100% sure of exactly how large that community is. It's really only the most Western provinces and the most eastern that lack big Jewish communities, because they didn't have big cities in the early 20th century.
Yes, I should have mentioned the long-established Jewish community in Ottawa, which is about 2% of the population as well.

Lorne Greene, who played Ben Cartwright and Commander Adama, was Jewish from Ottawa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World