Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2021, 01:04 PM

1,719 posts, read 731,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
diwlari = irene
You're making me laugh! Explain, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 08:15 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 16 hours ago)

27,162 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diwlari View Post
I agree, the UK has a kind of rain that while it's not a lot in volume, it is dreadful and can hang for days and days.

You also have those pretty gray low skies that make everything extremely gloomy while there is not a single drop of rain anywhere. Just cloudiness.
London has less rain than Paris, and similar hours of sunshine to the cities around it.

Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris, and other cities around that area don't get an abundance of sunny days, nor do many German and Polish cities and a host of other cities.

So having seasonal weather and grey skies is not unique to the UK.

Old 07-31-2021, 01:41 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover2458 View Post
"Also the reason other cities in the world accumulate more rain than London is due to the fact that their rain is torrential and appears in the form of thunderstorms or heavy downpours lasting all day sometimes. In England it rains much more frequently, however the rain usually does not last all day, sometimes it does but not most of the time. England has sporadic drizzle and rarely heavy downpours."

You completely ignored what I just said about why London gets less rain its because it rains in much lower quantities, light sporadic rain not heavy downpours, this is why flooding rarely happens in England. And yes England is perfect in summer for sports, other parts of Europe, especially places like Spain/Italy/The Balkans would be uncomfortable due to the heat and humidity, which is why during the recent Euros football tournament players barely sweated while playing at Wembley in London and Hampden Park in Glasgow due to the fact the weather must have been in the teens not 30 +degrees like Seville and Budapest were.

And millions of people in England will complain that they are freezing, maybe not in summer as they have an extremely high cold tolerance even though summer is only slightly warmer than winter, 10-12 degrees or so. When people complain they are freezing it means they are cold it doesn't mean the temperature around them is below zero, you obviously know that and are immature if you're pretending to take it literally. And like I said it's been 25 degrees or warmer less than a quarter of this month, cool and overcast most of the time, you can't argue with the facts I provided especially that most of northern Europe is warmer and sunnier in summer, although similar in cloudiness to England in winter, more cloudy in some parts of Europe than England, although sunnier annually, due to the much sunnier summers. Even Stockholm Sweden is sunnier more than half of the time in July on average.
So now we're supposed to believe we don't get heavy rain in London and everybody in the UK has 'extremely high cold tolerance'!!! What absolute garbage! You are a PRIME example of the people I was talking about before, both me and BNW ARE English, we both live here and yet you think you know better by quoting just about every inaccurate stereotype in the book!! Exactly like I said would happen! Not only that we provide link after link proving you wrong whereas you provide nothing but your stereotypical views! Nobody claims the UK is very 'sunny' but the whole of Northern Europe is NOT sunnier, in fact where I live on the Sussex coast in SE England is one of the sunniest places in the whole of Northern Europe with similar sunshine levels to Bordeaux in SW France. As for 'freezing' that is a temperature of 0 deg C and the point at which water turns to ice, whether you 'think' thats what it means or not. Oh and for your information when England played Croatia in the Euro's it was 30 deg C pitchside.

Old 07-31-2021, 02:05 AM

169 posts, read 130,032 times
I think London's climate is better than that of Amsterdam/the Netherlands surprisingly. The Netherlands might seem mild in winter but it's pure hell - constant winter winds, drizzles and so much humidity that 5-10 C feels much worse than -5 to 1 C in Prague where despite the snow the air felt dryer in winter. I also saw more sunny, clear days in winter in Prague, surprisingly, compared to the Netherlands.

I also can't stand the increasingly hotter Balkan summers, we had a whole week of like 35-37 C here in Sofia! Seems like Varna has the best Balkan climate now, but for me anything above 26 C is too much now.

I personally find the climates of Northern/Eastern Bavaria and Western Czech Republic very nice - mild summers (rarely over 30 C, usually in the 18-26 range) and true (but increasingly milder) winters. Poland's worse than that area as the winters are colder (closer to Russia + less mountains and hills to the east of it), yet the summers can be much hotter, just like in Ukraine/Russia.

The areas around Nuremberg, Amberg, Regensburg, Karlovy Vary and Pilsen seem to be the sweet spot between the mild Oceanic climate and the Continental one. It's good that the Austrian Alps keep the scorching heat from the Balkans/Mediterranean that Hungary gets away and the Western German highlands stop some of the clouds that the BeNeLux gets.

Old 08-06-2021, 11:31 AM

49 posts, read 54,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Given that you ignored my last post here it is again -

The UK has similar weather to Northern France, which is 20 miles off the coast, and the Benelux countries, whilst countries such as Switzerland have far more rain.

The UK also has less severe winters than Northern Europe.

Most people in the UK do go abroad to the Mediterranean, and Europe is quite compact compared to many continents and it's only 638 miles as the crow flies between London and Nice in the South of France, which amounts to a couple of hours on a standard passenger plane.

The cheapest price that I googled is £14 one way, although I am sure you could get a combined return ticket for around £30.

A lot of young people just buy a tent and head for the South of France or the Mediterranean, which has numerous camp sites, and you can have a fairly cheap holiday going by budget airline.

In terms of Manchester it's in the Pennines hills and receives more rain, indeed the western hills in the UK account for a good deal of the UK's rain, with the east and areas such as East Anglia being far drier. Rainfall therefore varies from region to region in the UK.

Scandinavian countries are often light for six months of the year and dark for the other 6 months and are not comparable to the UK, and neither is Moscow with it's severally cold winters.

You can see the rain fall distribution in the map in the Meteorological Office link below -

How much does it rain in the UK? - Met Office

Yes the South of England and Northern coast of France will have similar weather, both being near sea and in close proximity. Go further south and inland in France and it will get warmer, especially in summer. And yes I lived in England for eleven years and visited the balearic islands which had similar weather to New York in summer, although with less clouds. Nice in the South of France is sunny approximately 63% of the year whereas Brest in the northwest of the country is only 39%, similar to London. I'm sure I'm not the only foreigner who has moved to England, not just Manchester but anywhere in the country and has been surpirsed with how frequent it rains. The rain in England is bearable being only drizzle with heavy downpours occuring only rarely maybe once every 4-8 weeks, with drizzle occuring regularly. It's not just Manchester that is wet all of England is very wet.

Birmingham, England Climate Birmingham, England Temperatures Birmingham, England Weather Averages

The frequency of rain in Birmingham 49%, meaning the probability it will rain at any given time of the year being as much of half of the time.

Hull, England Climate Hull, England Temperatures Hull, England Weather Averages

Hull 48% of the time it will rain, practically the same is Birmingham.

Plymouth, England Climate Plymouth, England Temperatures Plymouth, England Weather Averages

Plymouth in Cornwall 49% of the time it will rain.

London, England Climate London, England Temperatures London, England Weather Averages

London, Britain's driest city it still rains as much as 45% of the time, with March the driest month still receiving rain 35% of the month.

Seattle, Washington Climate Seattle, Washington Temperatures Seattle, Washington Weather Averages

Seattle is by far the wettest and cloudiest US city and only rains 41% of the time and is sunny 47% of the time, more than anywhere in Britain. Seattle which is cloudy most of the year still receives lots of sunshine in the summer, around 66% in July which is on par with New York City in July.

UK is very mild in winter and cool in summer as it never gets bitterly cold even on the coldest of winter nights. Not even Scotland goes below around -10 on the coldest winter nights. Many places in the southern US on the same latitude as Northern Africa it drops to -10 or even colder on the coldest winter nights. Scandanavia is slightly darker in winter and lighter in summer than UK, although UK still has very long summer days and very short winter days. I found the summer days too long as it often disrputed my sense of time, although day length-wise it was much better than winter where its light for 6 hours and overcast then dark after 4.30 all evening, at least the summer has daylight until 10 pm. And most of Scotland is farther north than Moscow so has slightly darker winters and slightly lighter summers.

Old 08-06-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
The UK weather is changing due to climate change, and it's predicted that heat waves of 40c will be regular events within ten years, whilst winters have become much warmer.

This does not bode well for other parts of the world that are already have extreme climates, if a country with a moderate climate is set to become more extreme.

Areas of the US and Australia could become uninhabitable and even Southern Europe could have serious problems.

The stark picture of how British summers could look in the years ahead comes as a new report from the Met Office reveals that 2020 was the third warmest, fifth wettest and eighth sunniest year on record.

UK to hit 40C on regular basis even if global warming is limited, scientists have warned - ITV News (29th July 2021)

How summer 2021 has changed our understanding of extreme weather - The Conversaton (30th July 2021)

UK summer temperatures may hit 40C even if global warming is limited to 1.5C, scientists warn - Sky News (29th July 2021)

As for Manchester it's in the pennine hills and therefore receives a lot of rain, and it average 810 mm (31.9 in).

Then again lots of cities have high rainfall rates -

Zurich in Switzerland averages 1,135 millimeters (44.7 inches) which is far more than Manchester.

Geneva has even more rain at 1468 mm | 57.8 inch per year.

Brussels manages about 820 millimeters (32 inches), which is slightly more than Manchester.

Amsterdam's annual rainfall is 844 mm | 33.2 inch.

Naples, Italy get 1008 mm or 39.7 inches of rain

Turin, Italy gets 981 mm or 38.6 inches of rain

Munich (Germany) gets 967 mm or 38.1 inches of rain.

Düsseldorf (Germany) has 956 mm | 37.6 inch of rainfall.

Cologne (Germany) has 989 mm | 38.9 inch of rainfall

And I can go on and on and on.

Yes Manchester has rain but no more so than many other cities, and given the horrors that climate change could unleash then a mild climate seems very welcoming at this moment in time.
For the millionth time England gets MORE FREQUENT rain than the US and elsewhere in Europe but in SMALLER QUANTITES. This is why on paper England is drier than other places, although it rains much more often. I've already said this several times, come on you can't say England doesn't rain often considering you live there!

Old 08-06-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
London has less rain than Paris, and similar hours of sunshine to the cities around it.

Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris, and other cities around that area don't get an abundance of sunny days, nor do many German and Polish cities and a host of other cities.

So having seasonal weather and grey skies is not unique to the UK.
The UK does not have the cloudiest winters in Europe but they do have the cloudiest summers. Many of the places you mentioned are equally as cloudy as Britain in winter, some places even cloudier than Britain in winter. However, all of the places are sunnier in summer, even if Amsterdam and Brussels are only slightly sunnier.

London, England Climate London, England Temperatures London, England Weather Averages

London January: 17% sun
June: 42%
July: 40% sun
August: 41 % sun
Overall summer: 41 %
Overall annual sun: 33%

London, one of England's sunniest cities.

Amsterdam Climate Amsterdam Temperatures Amsterdam Weather Averages

Amsterdam Sun

January: 22%
June: 45%
July: 40%
August: 41%
Overall summer: 42%
Overall annual sun: 36%
About the same as London in summer, sunnier in winter and slightly sunnier overall. Amsterdam is very close to England so this is no surprise.

Brussels Climate Brussels Temperatures Brussels Weather Averages

Brussels sun

January: 21%
June: 40%
July: 40%
August: 45%
Overall summer: 42%
Overall year sun: 36%
Basically the same as Amsterdam and also too close to England itself to really compare fairly.
Paris Climate Paris Temperatures Paris Weather Averages

Paris sun

January: 22%
June: 51%
July: 50%
August: 50%
Overall summer: 50%
Overall year: 42%
Paris considerably sunnier than London in summer and winter and also overall.
Berlin Climate Berlin Temperatures Berlin Weather Averages

Berlin sun

January: 19%
June: 49%
July: 48%
August: 50%
Overall summer: 49%
Overall year: 40%
Similar in winter considerably more sun in summer and annually.

Warsaw Climate Warsaw Temperatures Warsaw Weather Averages

Warsaw sun

January: 21%
June: 50%
July: 44%
August: 48%
Overall summer: 47%
Overall year: 38%
Slighly sunnier anually and sunnier than London in summer.

All of these places aside from Belgium and Netherlands which are very close to UK and will therefore have very similar climate are considerably sunnier in summer and also drier. Yes England is cloudy, even other parts of northern Europe that get cloudy summers its sunnier than England.

Old 08-06-2021, 11:53 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 16 hours ago)

27,162 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Yawn.

London averages approximately 106 rainy days each year and receives a total of 22.976 inches (583.6 millimeters) of precipitation annually.

London has 106 days with rain and 259 without.

The again Irene I don't think any one is really interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoughtCo.

London averages approximately 106 rainy days each year and receives a total of 22.976 inches (583.6 millimeters) of precipitation annually. Comparatively, the six rainiest major cities in the United States average more than 50 inches of rainfall per year with at least 70 rainy days:

Annual Rainfall in London Compared to America's Wettest Cities -ThoughtCo
The Wettest Capitals in Europe Are... - Parka

Old 08-06-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
So now we're supposed to believe we don't get heavy rain in London and everybody in the UK has 'extremely high cold tolerance'!!! What absolute garbage! You are a PRIME example of the people I was talking about before, both me and BNW ARE English, we both live here and yet you think you know better by quoting just about every inaccurate stereotype in the book!! Exactly like I said would happen! Not only that we provide link after link proving you wrong whereas you provide nothing but your stereotypical views! Nobody claims the UK is very 'sunny' but the whole of Northern Europe is NOT sunnier, in fact where I live on the Sussex coast in SE England is one of the sunniest places in the whole of Northern Europe with similar sunshine levels to Bordeaux in SW France. As for 'freezing' that is a temperature of 0 deg C and the point at which water turns to ice, whether you 'think' thats what it means or not. Oh and for your information when England played Croatia in the Euro's it was 30 deg C pitchside.
I never said you don't get heavy rain in London I just said light rain is much more common. And having living there for eleven years and having travelled extensively elsewhere people in Britain have the highest tolerance for cold I've ever seen! How can you not think that? Every single foreign born person that lives in Britain knows that! Ask any foreign person you know from another country if it's common for many people in their country to wear shorts and t-shirt when its 18 degrees I think you'll find they'll be bundled up with layers on especially if they're from a warm climate. I got the shock of my life moving to Manchester from New York! People dress normal in winter when it's cold, even then you will always see a small group of people still with shorts on nice and warm with their jackets on but preferring to freeze their legs off!

In the late winter/early spring in Manchester when the temperature was between 6-8 degrees with clear sunshine hundreds of people would have hoodies/jumpers/cardigans with shorts on, (mostly men with the shorts). 20 degrees in New York and most people would find it too cold to be in a hoodie!

April-May time when the sunny period of weather arrives 14-16 degrees lots of people in shorts and t-shirt even though that is very chilly weather! You won't see anyone in the US dress like that or sunbathe in those temps! People don't start wearing shorts there until the temps climb into the upper 20s!

The UK has very cold and overcast summer weather the warmest it gets is low to mid 20s which is the reason everyone falsely believes it is 'hot' whenever the sun comes out regardless of how cold or cool the air temperature is. I've spoken to lots of foreigners I knew while in the UK and every single one of them was shocked at how people in Britain dress like the weather is hot when in reality its cold and seem to be comfortable! A clear mixture of living in a very cold place that never gets warm, only tepid heat a few days out of the entire year and under dressing all of their lives makes British people extremely cold tolerant. Jacket weather in most places is as much as 10 degrees warmer than shorts and t shirt weather in UK if the sun is out!

Even in summer when it's not a mild spell of weather if the weather is in upper teens and overcast lots and lots of people still wear shorts and t-shirts and don't feel cold! I met Canadians in Mexico once who were shivering in shorts and t shirt when it was 25 degrees and sunny, albeit with wind.

22 degrees and sunny in Manchester and elsewhere in Britain almost everyone is in shorts and t-shirts with many people complaining it is too hot! The air-conditioned room I am in right now is 22 degrees on the button and it is comfortably cool! A bit strange to live in a place so cold that people think cool air is too hot how utterly ridiculous! No wonder every time the UK has weather in the low 20s all you see is people from other countries saying how ridiculous it is that people think it is scorching hot! When its that weather in the US in late winter it will feel nice since it's much warmer than usual winter temps, but its still cool weather obviously, everyone just wears light jackets instead of winter gear!

I visited Germany in early September years ago and it was 23 degrees and the majority of people were in jackets with only some people in t-shirts and a lot of people in jumpers. Nobody in shorts except 2 people out of the thousands I seen that day in Berlin.

I visited Rome one year in April 22 degrees and sunny nearly everyone was in a jacket with lots of people having hoodies underneath their jackets. It's rare to see someone with a jumper on in England in that weather let alone jumper and jacket at the same time! Never seen anyone with a t-shirt aside from about 6 people all day.

Spain in November, 19 degrees and sunny never seen anyone in a t-shirt most people had jackets and scarves on! I seen a man in England sun bathe with his shirt off when it was 12 degrees once! I also seen people swim in the sea when I visited Blackpool when it was only 14 degrees! The most wrapped up people I seen were some people in jumpers most had t shirts on only! Only a handful of people I seen in jackets that day.

Also I know that people in UK are the only Europeans that go to the cold 20 degree canary islands in January and sunbathe there. I've heard some northern French and Germans go but even some of them are complaining it is too cold. Essentially everyone from cold countries UK, Scandanavia, France, Germany will find Canaries pleasant in summer, even though its only borderline warm and very windy. I met someone in Barcelona who visited Fuerteventura, don't know if I'm spelling that right, in July and said it was COLD! only 25 degrees during the day and very windy he said it's warmer on a summer evening than that in Barcelona! I visited Mallorca in July and didn't find it cold once, probably because it was 30-32 degrees during the day and 26-29 in the evenings.

So if you think people in Britain do not have an extremely high cold tolerance you are wrong! If they experienced Canadian winter temps they'd struggle greatly because they're not used to it but weather in the teens that most people are well wrapped up in many people in England wear shorts.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-people-...ts-rather-cold

Someone even asked a question on quora about it, a foreigner living in England! This proves that so many people in England wear summer clothes, i.e. shorts and t-shirts when it's cold that someone has been so baffled by it they've taken the time to ask a question about it! I had a friend from Minnesota, one of the coldest places in the US visit England in 20 degree weather and he was shocked how everyone was dressed like it was 'well into the 80s' or around 30 degrees.

"It has to be.

I often watch British tourists on the beach promenade at the Spanish Costa del Sol. It is easy to identify Brits. That’s the only people walking in Shorts and naked upper body. Their face, upper body and legs are dark red from sunburn.

Obviously there exists a innate body temperature difference of 20 degrees Celsius between Spanish and British people.

Germans are somewhere between."

This answer is very accurate you can disagree with this rationally minded German man as well if you like.

https://www.wunderground.com/history...date/2021-6-13

Yeah on the day that England played against Croatia at wembley it was 27 degrees which is barely warm not 30.

https://www.wunderground.com/history...date/2021-6-18

When they played against Scotland it was only a very chilly 14 degrees and rainy! I remember seeing barely anybody in a jacket and most people with their football shirts on!

One of the games in St Petersburg where Russia played it was 22 and sunny and there were less fans there with no jackets than in London when it was 14 and rainy!

I have provided lots of links to other places which proves you wrong that Britain has more frequent rain than anywhere else in Europe and also cloudier summer and overall weather. And yes Sussex is the sunniest place in Britain but the entire southwest coast of France is overcast being on the Bay of Biscay, go to Nice or Marseille in the mediterranean it's much sunnier!

You obviously know what a metaphor is if people say it's boiling when it's hot it doesn't mean the air temperature is 100 degrees Celsius! It just means they are hot. The same applies for when people say it is freezing, they mean they are cold.

I can understand relativity and acclimatisation fine, I'd expect people from Florida to have scarfs and jackets on when the weather is in the 20s and I'd expect a lot of people in UK to be in a t-shirt in the low 20s weather because that will feel mild since it rarely gets any warmer than that. But no matter how cold a place you live, if you live in the north freaking pole nobody should be in shorts and t-shirt in 12 degree weather and find that comfortable, which is extremely common in Spring in England if the sun is out. If it's overcast and 12 degrees, most people, but not all will feel cold and uncomfortable but low teens and sunny people can sunbathe for hours and not feel cold. Possibly the sun feels warmer to them than other people since it doesn't come out as much and they're raised to believe the sun coming out makes the air warmer regardless if the air is very cold. Yes I'd expect people in England to have a high cold tolerance but not an extremely high cold tolerance!

Old 08-06-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Yawn.

London averages approximately 106 rainy days each year and receives a total of 22.976 inches (583.6 millimeters) of precipitation annually.

London has 106 days with rain and 259 without.

The again Irene I don't think any one is really interested.

The Wettest Capitals in Europe Are... - Parka
Eh, I got my data from a legitimate source, a website specifically focused on climate data, I'd call my data far more accurate, you got yours from a website that makes parkas for crying out loud! Climatemps.com has hundreds of accurate data about temperature, sunshine hours and rainfall from all over the world!

And I shouldn't have to repeat myself but I am not Irene! I'm not even a woman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World