Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2021, 05:35 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,532,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post

Sure you can't generalize but stereotypes exist for a reason

My stereotypical view of Americans is the MAGA types.
My stereotypical view of the British are snobby and wannabe royalty.
Yes, stereotypes do exist for a reason. Typically that reason is ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 02:12 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,056,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diwlari View Post
England in winter

England in Spring

England in Autumn

England in summer
You prove my point perfectly, god awful stereotyping keeps people ignorant

Old 07-30-2021, 02:31 AM

27,270 posts, read 13,540,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You prove my point perfectly, god awful stereotyping keeps people ignorant
It's just another new account, set up by Irene & co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwlari View Post

People: Loud, ignorant, pompous versus arrogant, miserable, stuck up. NEITHER.
You can't even produce correct stereotypes.

As for rain, yes it does rain in England and especially in the winter however so what. There are worse climates than mild winters and cool summers.

Old 07-30-2021, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It's just another new account, set up by Irene & co.
I must try to remember everytime she gets band to look out for her next reincarnation!

Old 07-30-2021, 02:41 AM

Quote:
I must try to remember everytime she gets band to look out for her next reincarnation!

Or you could just wait for the inevitable pictures of London during a rain storm.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:21 AM

90 posts, read 67,715 times
Quote:
The Summer temperatures in England are often in the 80's and Cornwall is NOT the sunniest place, West Sussex is the 'sunniest' place in mainland Britain. You are right about the dark in the mid winter though, in the Summer however the Sussex coast gets the same sunshine hours as Bordeaux in SW France.

The stereotypical view of English weather is probably one of the worlds biggest misconceptions. If you want to know the truth of it the biggest problem with UK weather is its unpredictability, that certainly DOES'NT mean its 'always cold and cloudy' it just means its as likely to rain in July as it is in January. New York, Paris, Rome & Istanbul (among others) actually receive more annual rain than London, the North Western Isles of the UK gets 3 times as much rain as the South Eastern end of the island. London is even an area of 'water stress' (place where water is in short supply) no this is not because its VERY dry but because its nowhere near as 'wet' as its reputation and it has a high population density. It is however dark in the UK in December, Winter is also a time when you don't get to see much sun (because its so low on the horizon just as much as 'cloud') when you take this into consideration the sunshine amounts are mainly over 9 months which goes to show just how 'sunny' the south coast can be.

This month in London the max daily temperature (so far) has been 31 deg C, the lowest has been 19 deg C, it has been 30 degrees C or above 5 days out of the 27 this month (4 at 30 and 1 at 31) and below 20 deg on 1 day this month (when it only got to 19 deg C on a wet day) the rest have been between 21 and 29 deg C.
That’s actually not entirely true. Have you seen the weather forecast in London and compared to NYC’s, Istanbul, etc? It’s just cold and rain. The weather here is so sh#t. I just moved to London recently and although I live the city, the weather here really sucks. Summer here is as cold as winter in Sydney. Sure we had some days with really warm weather but now it’s very cold and rainy. A couple of nights ago it went down to 12C and the next days the temperature will be be between 13-19C.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usuari0deldia View Post
That’s actually not entirely true. Have you seen the weather forecast in London and compared to NYC’s, Istanbul, etc? It’s just cold and rain. The weather here is so sh#t. I just moved to London recently and although I live the city, the weather here really sucks. Summer here is as cold as winter in Sydney. Sure we had some days with really warm weather but now it’s very cold and rainy. A couple of nights ago it went down to 12C and the next days the temperature will be be between 13-19C.
London and the UK have just experienced a heat wave, and the weather has been extremely good, although I would have thought you would have known that.

UK weather: heatwave health alert for England extended to Friday - The Guardian

There is also another heatwave predicted for August.

"The current UK heatwave is drawing to a close, but another could be on the way in just a couple of weeks".

When is the next UK heatwave? Met Office weather forecast for August with hot temperatures set to end - inews

It's been a fantastic July with temperatures reaching 32c (90f )and August is all set for anther heatwave, perhaps you are living in a different London, maybe London, Ontario, although I think the weather has also been quite hot in many parts of North America, and Canada has just had a record heatwave.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-30-2021 at 04:00 AM..

Old 07-30-2021, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
London and the UK have just experienced a heat wave, and the weather has been extremely good, although I would have thought you would have known that.

UK weather: heatwave health alert for England extended to Friday - The Guardian

There is also another heatwave predicted for August.

"The current UK heatwave is drawing to a close, but another could be on the way in just a couple of weeks".

When is the next UK heatwave? Met Office weather forecast for August with hot temperatures set to end - inews

It's been a fantastic July and August is all set for anther heatwave, perhaps you are living in a different London, maybe London, Ontario, although I think the weather has also been quite hot in many parts of North America, and Canada has just had a record heatwave.
People seem to completely ignore the London heatwaves we get every Summer - it doesn't fit their narrative. Like you said - cue lots of pictures of London during a rainstorm or people saying 'I went to London once in 2007 and it rained while I was there'. The fact is London is a dryer city than Rome, New York, Paris, Istanbul etc to name but a few but how many people constantly harp on about Istanbul or New York as constantly 'rainy' cities?

Old 07-30-2021, 04:11 AM

Quote:
People seem to completely ignore the London heatwaves we get every Summer - it doesn't fit their narrative. Like you said - cue lots of pictures of London during a rainstorm or people saying 'I went to London once in 2007 and it rained while I was there'. The fact is London is a dryer city than Rome, New York, Paris, Istanbul etc to name but a few but how many people constantly harp on about Istanbul or New York as constantly 'rainy' cities?

Paris has similar weather to London, and NYC has much more extreme weather.

I certainly do not want to live through extreme heat or extreme cold, and mild weather suits me fine.

Even in terms of rain, London doesn't receive that much rainfall by international standards.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-30-2021 at 04:20 AM..

Old 07-30-2021, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Yes, stereotypes do exist for a reason. Typically that reason is ignorance.

I think anyone who has been to Britain knows that the British aren't snobby, they actually have a famous self-deprecating sense of humour and are very down to earth, and this includes the culture of having a pint or enjoying fish and chips etc.

The Aussies are even more down to earth, and enjoy many of the same things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World