Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2021, 07:49 AM

910 posts, read 367,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
England IS the home of football, we gave it to the world, this is a FACT that particularly 'riles' our Euro 'friends' also England NEVER lost a home match against another European nation outside the British Isles until 1953 when Hungary finally became the first team to do it. Thats 81 YEARS of internationals before anybody outside the British Isles had managed to beat them in England....EIGHTY ONE YEARS! So I would suggest that England were the 'original' legends of the game no? England has, to this day, NEVER lost against any African nation home or away, England are ranked as the fourth best team on the planet RIGHT NOW. They were semi-finalists in the last World Cup and finalists in the last Euro's, their youth teams are RIGHT NOW World Cup winners at two different age groups...................so all in all not too bad right?

Ultimately it doesn't matter how many World Cups Brazil win, they could win a hundred but England will still be, as it always has been, and always will be, the HOME of football.

Incidently its the 'home' of rugby and cricket too, Scotland however is the home of golf.
It is because of an arrogant post like this that most of The World was so happy that Italy defeated England!

Old 07-30-2021, 07:51 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
I guess you never heard of the America's Cup in sailing which the USA has dominated since 1851. I fail to see what is so international about cricket? So what it is popular in India, besides Australia some poor British Commonwealth countries. It is not popular in most of Europe, China, USA, Russia, Canada, South America, Japan, and most of the populated wealthy world. Rugby also is not popular in some very important countries and continents. Most of Europe, USA, Russia, Canada, China, India, South America, and Asia, rugby isn't that popular. I think calling rugby and cricket international sports is a sick joke, when I just showed you that most of the world doesn't play those games. They are really just British Commonwealth games, which is hardly the world.
The WHAT! lol..........never heard of it?! sailing! I thought we were talking sports Both cricket and rugby have World Cups contested by dozens of teams and watched by hundreds of thousands of people live in the stadiums and millions of people world wide. Can you think of any other sports other than the Olympic Games (and of course football/soccer) that can match this?

Old 07-30-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Not the Americas Cup, which nobody watches or gives a damn about.

There are 20 Teams in the Cricket World Cup and Rugby World Cup.

A total of 24 nations started in the group stage at Euro 2020.

In the Football World Cup, there are 32 teams were drawn into eight groups.
You still are ignoring the fact that most of the top economies in the world don't play cricket or rugby, yet you continue to call them popular international games. Most of the important countries in the world, cricket and rugby are not popular.

Old 07-30-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The WHAT! lol..........never heard of it?! sailing! I thought we were talking sports Both cricket and rugby have World Cups contested by dozens of teams and watched by hundreds of thousands of people live in the stadiums and millions of people world wide. Can you think of any other sports other than the Olympic Games (and of course football/soccer) that can match this?
If you look at the major economies of the world, cricket and rugby are not that popular.

Old 07-30-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
It is because of an arrogant post like this that most of The World was so happy that Italy defeated England!
Not 'arrogance' just facts, I'm not even trying to claim that they are anything close to the 'worlds best' because they're not, but athough not the best right now England however are one of the worlds top footballing nations, they always have been and it IS the home of football, just like the US will always be the home of Gridiron football. It doesn't make any difference how much our Euro friends dislike this fact or (because of this) how much they 'hate' us either.

Old 07-30-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
If you look at the major economies of the world, cricket and rugby are not that popular.
Along with basketball and football/soccer they are the most watched sports on the planet, 'economies' have nothing to do with it?

Old 07-30-2021, 08:05 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,182 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
You still are ignoring the fact that most of the top economies in the world don't play cricket or rugby, yet you continue to call them popular international games. Most of the important countries in the world, cricket and rugby are not popular.
A lot more play cricket or Rugby at an international levels than play US Sports, and our World Series is actually a World Cup with very good competing nations from around the world.

To put things in perspective -

Football (soccer) has 4 Billion fans worldwide.

Cricket has 2.5 Billion Fans worldwide.

Basketball has 825 million fans worldwide.

Baseball has 500 million fans worldwide.

Rugby has 475 million fans worldwide.

American football has 400 million fans worldwide.

Most Popular Sports in the World - World Atlas

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-30-2021 at 08:14 AM..

Old 07-30-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
A lot more play cricket or Rugby at an international levels than play US Sports, and our World Series is actually a World Cup with very good competing nations from around the world.

To put things in perspective -

Football (soccer) has 4 Billion fans worldwide.

Cricket has 2.5 Billion Fans worldwide.

Basketball has 825 million fans worldwide.

Baseball has 500 million fans worldwide.

Rugby has 475 million fans worldwide.

American football has 400 million fans worldwide.

Most Popular Sports in the World - World Atlas
I don't believe those figures at all, especially for cricket. Please give me a breakdown of each country's cricket fans that add up to 2.5 billion. Once again it is not popular in most of Europe, China, USA, Russia, Japan, South Korea, Canada, Mexico, South America, etc. I guess your just assuming everyone in Africa and India is a cricket fan.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:02 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
I don't believe those figures at all, especially for cricket. Please give me a breakdown of each country's cricket fans that add up to 2.5 billion. Once again it is not popular in most of Europe, China, USA, Russia, Japan, South Korea, Canada, Mexico, South America, etc. I guess your just assuming everyone in Africa and India is a cricket fan.
For starters cricket is practically an official religion in India and Pakistan so there's a billion plus right there.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:04 AM

66 posts, read 42,990 times
Cricket. OH GOD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World