Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities is the most iconic one?
London 8 30.77%
Paris 11 42.31%
New York 6 23.08%
Río De Janeiro 1 3.85%
Sydney 0 0%
Tokyo 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 05:39 PM

910 posts, read 367,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Yes it is, it has 4.25% of the worlds population, thats 95.75% of the world that isn't American. Everybody in the world knows 'the clock' Big Ben but what many people fail to realise is that the name Big Ben actually refers to the bell, a sound you hear in EVERY Sherlock Holmes film ever made (and there have been 48 of those alone!) Of course London has many famous landmarks, there is (as you pointed out) Tower Bridge, the Tower of London itself of course, Westminster Abbey, St. Pauls Cathedral, Shakespear's Globe, a certain house the Queen lives in etc. Most 'landmarks' in London are pretty old apart from The London Eye, which was supposed to be a temporary attraction for the millenium but has proved to be so popular that its stayed open and in fact many cities have now copied it and have their own version I believe. Now I realise that some of these 'icons' may be better know in some parts of the world than some of the other 'icons' the city has, I also realise that other cities like Paris, Rome, Sydney or yes New York also have their own icons, but I do know that London and Paris are the two most visited cities for international tourists on the planet and all of these places are chock a block with tourists all year round. Also of course there can be 'iconic' places that aren't even in cities, places like Niagara Falls perhaps. How exactly are you supposed to judge THE most iconic place amongst such well known (well known across the globe) places? I'm not sure its an argument that can really be answered, perhaps the most iconic should be awarded to the pyramids on the outskirts of Cairo? Of all the 'iconic' places I think they've been there the longest :-D
Yes, but Australia is much less than 1% of the worlds population, but somehow you think that their buildings, and bridges are more famous than America, which gets far more international tourists than Australia. I mentioned the Golden Gate Bridge, but also The Brooklyn Bridge is pretty famous to. By the way Bangkok get more international tourists than any city on the planet, but New York City gets more overall tourists, than all of them, because it has a much larger national market.

Last edited by vindag; 08-16-2021 at 05:50 PM..

Old 08-16-2021, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usuari0deldia View Post
I have been in NYC two times. I don’t really like the city at all but it’s definitely a place that everyone has to go once at their lives. I remember the statue looked so small in person. There’s no need to go to see it in person because it’s really underwhelming. It’s better just to take the Staten Island free ferry. Now the Sydney opera house is incredible.
I don't give a rats butt whether you liked NYC or not, and that's not what this thread is about. I personally liked the opera house, but if you go on tripadvisor, some people said up close it looks a big piece of cement, or the coloring isn't that nice white color like you see in photos. To each his own.

Last edited by vindag; 08-16-2021 at 05:58 PM..

Old 08-16-2021, 06:54 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,121,936 times
As much as I would love to say New York, Paris is the most visited in the western world.

Old 08-16-2021, 06:56 PM

90 posts, read 67,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
I don't give a rats butt whether you liked NYC or not, and that's not what this thread is about. I personally liked the opera house, but if you go on tripadvisor, some people said up close it looks a big piece of cement, or the coloring isn't that nice white color like you see in photos. To each his own.
Haha your answer reminded me of this meme
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=o...z9g4Byhu7rkwCM

Anyhow. Just because some dumbs Americans can’t recognise the Sydney Opera house, it doesn’t mean that the rest of world can’t recognise it either.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:01 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Yes, but Australia is much less than 1% of the worlds population, but somehow you think that their buildings, and bridges are more famous than America, which gets far more international tourists than Australia. I mentioned the Golden Gate Bridge, but also The Brooklyn Bridge is pretty famous to. By the way Bangkok get more international tourists than any city on the planet, but New York City gets more overall tourists, than all of them, because it has a much larger national market.
I said it was impossible to claim any of these world famous places as 'more iconic' or if you like 'more famous', I mean how do you ascertain whether Big Ben or the Eifel Tower is 'more iconic'? Both are known by just about every person on the planet, the same can be said of Sydney Opera House and the Statue of Liberty! As for your bridges I've never even heard of 'Brooklyn Bridge', I have heard of the Golden Gate Bridge, Sydney Harbour Bridge and Tower Bridge though, oh and London Bridge of course which is 'falling down'

Old 08-16-2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I said it was impossible to claim any of these world famous places as 'more iconic' or if you like 'more famous', I mean how do you ascertain whether Big Ben or the Eifel Tower is 'more iconic'? Both are known by just about every person on the planet, the same can be said of Sydney Opera House and the Statue of Liberty! As for your bridges I've never even heard of 'Brooklyn Bridge', I have heard of the Golden Gate Bridge, Sydney Harbour Bridge and Tower Bridge though, oh and London Bridge of course which is 'falling down'
Wow you have never heard of The Brooklyn Bridge, I'll bet Brave New World has definitely heard of it! I just googled Sydney Harbour Bridge, and read it was based on NYC Hell Gate Bridge. New York has so many beautiful bridges, that one sort of gets lost in the shuffle.

Last edited by vindag; 08-16-2021 at 07:24 PM..

Old 08-17-2021, 01:49 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,183 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Wow you have never heard of The Brooklyn Bridge, I'll bet Brave New World has definitely heard of it! I just googled Sydney Harbour Bridge, and read it was based on NYC Hell Gate Bridge. New York has so many beautiful bridges, that one sort of gets lost in the shuffle.

It's all just subjective, and there is no one most iconic city, just a lot of cities that are iconic.

New York is one of the most iconic cities, and has featured in numerous iconic movies.

I will never forget first seeing the opening to Taxi Driver with the haunting music and neon city streets.

Equally I will never forget the London of films such as the 'Ladykillers' or Neil Jordan films such as 'The Crying Game' or 'Mona Lisa' or 'The Long Good Friday', as well as cult films such as 'Naked' and 'Withnail and i'.

London and Paris are also both iconic cities, as is every city listed.

Sydney and Rio conjure up certain iconic images, as does Tokyo.

The reality is they are all great cities and all iconic in their own way.

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-17-2021 at 02:03 AM..

Old 08-17-2021, 03:32 AM

Quote:
No I haven't, I've heard of Brooklyn though, I've heard of the Tyne Bridge and the Forth Bridge of course both famous bridges but how famous in the world I don't know, Ironbridge is a famous bridge as the world's first iron bridge (an industrial revolution thing),the point I'm making is these are all famous here and being British very well known here but they are no where near as iconic as Big Ben or tower bridge, perhaps they sort of 'get lost in the shuffle' too.

Old 08-17-2021, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

It's all just subjective, and there is no one most iconic city, just a lot of cities that are iconic.

New York is one of the most iconic cities, and has featured in numerous iconic movies.

I will never forget first seeing the opening to Taxi Driver with the haunting music and neon city streets.

Equally I will never forget the London of films such as the 'Ladykillers' or Neil Jordan films such as 'The Crying Game' or 'Mona Lisa' or 'The Long Good Friday', as well as cult films such as 'Naked' and 'Withnail and i'.

London and Paris are also both iconic cities, as is every city listed.

Sydney and Rio conjure up certain iconic images, as does Tokyo.

The reality is they are all great cities and all iconic in their own way.
Another very sensible good post BNW

Old 08-17-2021, 04:37 AM

164 posts, read 81,180 times
Paris has the most tourists of any city on earth.

So the winner is Paris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World