Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2021, 05:36 AM

80 posts, read 80,271 times

Advertisements

In high demand such that they are taking extraodinary efforts to recruit them from abroad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 06:55 AM

779 posts, read 596,122 times
South Korea if I'm not mistaken.

Old 10-08-2021, 12:50 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,600,617 times
In most countries, they now require certification now.

If you have no formal TEFL training, you might be able to get free training and a certificate by volunteerung to teach immigrants in your city..
Brazil used to be good, Maybe Cambodie.

I've heard lots of horror stories about Korea, unfulfilled contracts and horrible living conditions.

Old 10-10-2021, 08:53 PM

Default yeah, have also heard..

That S. Korea is bad in the way you are treated.

Old 10-10-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
In most countries, they now require certification now.

If you have no formal TEFL training, you might be able to get free training and a certificate by volunteerung to teach immigrants in your city..
Brazil used to be good, Maybe Cambodie.

I've heard lots of horror stories about Korea, unfulfilled contracts and horrible living conditions.
The other caveat is that I don't see how you can competently teach English, if you have no knowledge in the local language. They SAY it's not required, but I think to do a good job it is.

Old 10-11-2021, 03:30 AM

536 posts, read 611,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOlBear7 View Post
I think to do a good job it is.
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post

If you have no formal TEFL training,
Not the most important thing for many jobs, you can still get great jobs without this.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:23 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,480 times
I hate that in s Korea, the starting pay has not increased in the last 15 years. I first went in 2016 and I was making monthly 2.1mill won. It's that much or less. wtf?

I did public, got a tefl, got after school work and side work through school and was making 3.5mill into my 3rd and 4th year, but was burnt out with all the extra work.

I dont know if publics are attractive these days. My first year was pretty much the first foreign teacher for publics. 10 to 15 years later, I wonder if the investment was worth it.

Old 11-09-2021, 08:35 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
China but the pay is low by Western standards!

Old 11-09-2021, 02:01 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,827 times
I have heard horror stories about ESL teacher experiences in Korea and China.

Not getting the negotiated wages, very long work hours, poor pay, poor and abusive management, and substandard housing. Those countries also have a stellar reputation of not providing the return fare and agreed upon end of contract pay outs which is normal in the industry. Japan is considered the "choice" country in Asia by a long shot which is why there are far fewer opportunities there...........all the ESL teachers want to go to Japan while trying to avoid China & S. Korea like the plague.

I have heard that most Latin American countries are pretty good and especially the wealthier southern ones of Argentina, Uruguay, and Chile. Saudi Arabia/Dubai are known for offering the highest wages and excellent living accommodation but many {especially women} find the culture shock too big and downright oppressive.

Old 11-09-2021, 08:08 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I have heard horror stories about ESL teacher experiences in Korea and China.

Not getting the negotiated wages, very long work hours, poor pay, poor and abusive management, and substandard housing. Those countries also have a stellar reputation of not providing the return fare and agreed upon end of contract pay outs which is normal in the industry. Japan is considered the "choice" country in Asia by a long shot which is why there are far fewer opportunities there...........all the ESL teachers want to go to Japan while trying to avoid China & S. Korea like the plague.
Probably in the 2000s but not anymore. Japan has not been an attractive destination for ESL for a while because the pay is not all that much higher, but cost of living is. China and Korea were by far the most popular in much of the 2010s but that is no longer the case because a) covid and b) China became extremely hostile to foreigners in recent years.

Quote:
I have heard that most Latin American countries are pretty good and especially the wealthier southern ones of Argentina, Uruguay, and Chile.
It is pretty good if you don't mind making like $800/month.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World