Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2021, 07:11 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsheamountain View Post
More people for whatever reason or reasons want to leave Mexico than want to leave Canada.
The conditions that make a place attractive as a tourist destination do not necessarily make it an attractive place to live, and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2021, 07:27 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Nice one guys, but I don't think asserting oneself against one's (perceived) domestic nemesis is the same thing at all.
Whether it's domestic or foreign doesn't matter.

Asserting ones culture is asserting ones culture. If it were as easy as " just being " there would be no need.

Again, i don't think there is anything wrong with asserting and protecting ones culture...within reason.

Old 12-27-2021, 01:41 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,025,372 times
I don't understand the OP question. Canada is much more attractive to live and much safer. Of course Mexico is great to visit as long as you be careful on avoiding certain neighbourhoods.

Old 12-27-2021, 05:59 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,275,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
The Canadian side of Niagara Falls, is better than the American side.
That's because if you want to see both falls in all their glory, you need to be on the Canadian side. I kinda thought that this was obvious but I guess not.

It's also a fact that the US has far more other accessible natural wonders than Canada.

Old 12-27-2021, 06:26 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Whether it's domestic or foreign doesn't matter.

Asserting ones culture is asserting ones culture. If it were as easy as " just being " there would be no need.

Again, i don't think there is anything wrong with asserting and protecting ones culture...within reason.
Asserting it vis-à-vis an entity that's perceived as an existential threat (rightly or wrongly) is not the same as saying "look at me!" to the entire world.

And I'd say "LOL" to the idea that Quebec does this in any serious way.

What irks "other" Canadians mostly is that most Quebecers identify with Quebec primarily as opposed to with all of Canada.

It is what it is, but it's no more artificial and fanciful than any other form of national identity, which all tend to be fairly artificial or constructed to a degree except for some ethnostates like Iceland or Japan...

Old 12-27-2021, 06:53 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
I don't understand the OP question. Canada is much more attractive to live and much safer. Of course Mexico is great to visit as long as you be careful on avoiding certain neighbourhoods.
more attractive and much safer?
why would a US resident move to Canada?colder climate,weak economy and its national healthcare system has a long waiting list,you could wait up to a year for major treatment.
One advantage is language,while in Mexico,you need to speak Spanish .
Folks retire to Mexico because its standard of living is much lower.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:29 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Folks retire to Mexico because its standard of living is much lower.
I think you mean "cost of living."

Old 12-27-2021, 08:56 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think you mean "cost of living."
That certainly wasn't the only part of that stupid, but wholly typical post that needed correction.

And yes, a U.S. resident would retire to Mexico because it's cheap and they can finally afford some healthcare.

Last edited by BruSan; 12-27-2021 at 09:06 AM..

Old 12-27-2021, 09:16 AM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
A humorous look, excluding all the accents from Quebec and the Territories.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...erta-1.5431783

Here in Vancouver we get told that we sound like Californians. To a degree, I agree, but the big difference is in vowel sounds, and pronunciation of a lot of words, like fragile, process, permit ( in terms of a licence ) etc. Also terms can give us away. Things like " freezing" instead of "novocaine".

Also I find a lot of Americans drop the " t " more often in words like " interesting". You hear " inneresing " a fair bit.
Californians exposed to the BC "accent" never mistake it for a California one. You're right; it's in the vowel sounds, and certain vocabulary differences. There's the famous "a-BOAT" vs. "a-bout".

Yes, there's "inneresting", but there's also "IN-tresting".

I wonder what a US southern accent sounds like to Canadians. And Brits, as well. I wonder if the spoken English in some corners of the south (or Appalachia, as well) is even intelligible.

Old 12-27-2021, 09:32 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

I wonder what a US southern accent sounds like to Canadians..
It's certainly instantly recognizable to Canadians. Caricatural in fact.

Though I'd argue that most Canadians can't tell the various US southern accents apart. They all tend to get lumped in together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World