Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Easy response: digital nomad or travel extensively?
Try being a digital nomad 3 60.00%
Move somewhere new, save money, travel more 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 12:21 PM

13 posts, read 13,413 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I've been looking at the digital nomad (I hate that term!) lifestyle for a while and was hoping to get some thoughts.

I'm 37 and have lived in NYC for about 7 years. Regardless of whether I take on this lifestyle or not, I've decided nearly a year ago that it's time to try something new.

I'm fortunate enough to have a steady job that allows me to work remotely (plus it can potentially benefit from being able to visit potential clients and partners internationally). I've extensively read and considered the pros and cons of this lifestyle, and I know that loneliness and living out of a suitcase are two of the biggest challenges. Thanks to a lot of recent travel, I've become much better at quickly adapting to new places and cultures; when I was younger I would go to Canada weekly and throw myself into Toronto and Montreal without and plans and force myself to adapt. I've been working on bringing that self-sufficiency skill back.

My small problem is storing all my stuff, as I've accumulated enough furniture and everything to move into an actual house and settle into an "adult" life. Bigger problem is that I didn't plan on getting into a terrific and healthy relationship, which happens to include 2 wonderful little girls in it. I love my partner, she treats me better than I've ever been treated, and the girls love me to death. Obviously there's a stigma in taking on someone else's kids, but given that I'd like kids of my own but dread the child rearing process, it's pretty ideal. Despite some catches like this, my family and friends (one being a therapist who's known me for nearly two decades) believe this is the healthiest relationship I've been in. My stepdad even pulled me aside for the first time to tell me she's a keeper and to not mess it up

While she was actually interested in moving and traveling internationally before we met, the kids obviously make this very challenging, and I don't want to mess them up like you hear about in military lifestyles that are also relocating constantly.

My 2 biggest draws to doing this are getting to extensively see the world before I'm too old and settled down, and to expose myself to real problems that give me an opportunity to do something I feel is truly meaningful. I used to enjoy volunteering for things I was passionate about, but it felt like the "office job" of helping others. Tasks are assigned to you, you don't really go anywhere new, and the problems you see tend to be the same as you've known for years. As an entrepreneur for over a decade now, I want to push myself to find new opportunities to do something substantial that will leave even a small legacy.

Lately I've leaned more towards this lifestyle, versus moving in together, settling down, and traveling here and there. I've heard of people who mix both successfully, traveling some 6 months out of the year, but it just doesn't have the same allure and challenge.

Curious if anyone can speak from experience or offer any thoughts to help my decision.

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it if there's a better fit.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 09:33 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 7 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
One of the best actions to fulfill is to frequently Travel often. Even when almost feeling kind of homeless. Fortunately, the endless Hotel rooms accomodation is going to make restless people feel much better about going away from home country for that long. Offering a real sense of security.

Work remotely isn't really equal to paid job opportunity up front attendance at a certain point. What is ethical moral is to get both sides of equation finished. At least try. Even when someone isn't a Digital telecommuter, able to get tons of cash funds for smooth travel. Although, might have to wait up to 12 months before next vacation. And is amount of freedom only two to three weeks rather than two to three months? Even the generous offering might be a bit limiting.

Why not get Work that allows Travel? Such as someone employed on a Cruise Ship or Airplane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World