Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 07:38 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
A lot of countries in the Eastern world don't quite accept western ideas about representative democracy.
And they are terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 11:09 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
It's not really difference in culture, it is about those that have land and resources and those who don't have sufficient resources and want yours.

Old 03-08-2022, 07:34 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,603,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Thanks for the lecture but I’m not Caucasian.
But historically, American culture is, and that was called non-trash, to which I responded. What is the heredity culture of "non-trash", as distinct from Russians and Chinese? Define "trash" in this context.

Singapore does mot have land. and does not accept representative democracy. Trash, or non-trash?.

Old 03-08-2022, 07:55 PM

65 posts, read 48,020 times
Chavinism lies on both sides.

India and China were once the biggest economies in the world and see it as their rightful place. The East has always had larger population centers as well. When the East regains its top spot as the center of the economic world (arguably already happening), we won't hear the end of it.

"The west" has been ascendant for 500 years and dominant for 200 years. It sees itself as rightfully placed because of its technology, individualism, human rights etc. etc. It wants to keep its high living standard and doesn't want to compete.

Russia is more Janus faced. Strong traditions as both east and west.

The rivalry between east and west will play out over the coming decades. Its not because one "side" is "wrong" but because both have a lot at stake.

Old 03-08-2022, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Lol, nice red herring.
They weren’t Russians, though. They were Proto-Indo-Europeans, Pontic steppe herders, Yamnayas, or whatever you like them to be called. Russian language, ethnicity and nationalism didn’t exist back then.
lol. nice false analogy. I said nothing that you attributed to me'. I said recent
Russians and recent Americans share the same ancestors. You misrepresented my irrelevant trivia that the origin of Proto Indo-Europeans, geographically, lies within a country today called modern Russia, which I thought might be helpful to make a point. Your argument is like saying "there are no native Americans because there was no place called 'America' in those days"

Old 03-08-2022, 10:26 PM

The only thing I take exception to here is the characterization that Russians are grouped with the Chinese and UNlike Americans, whatever else you have to say about them. Two of my four grandparents got off the boat with Russian documents, and I challenge you to distinguish me from other Americans on that basis aline.

Old 03-09-2022, 06:38 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,373,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
lol. nice false analogy. I said nothing that you attributed to me'. I said recent
Russians and recent Americans share the same ancestors. You misrepresented my irrelevant trivia that the origin of Proto Indo-Europeans, geographically, lies within a country today called modern Russia, which I thought might be helpful to make a point. Your argument is like saying "there are no native Americans because there was no place called 'America' in those days"
Huh? What analogy are you talking about? I made no analogy. Just pointed out the irrelevance of a message and its lack of connection to the topic.

OTOH, Native Americans as Indigenous people of the Americas, they obviously exist as they are linked to a geographic entity, not a specific nation, country or ethnicity. Native Americans as pre-Columbian bearers of a specific nationality coincidental to nowadays borders… definitely not! There is nothing like native Argentinians, native Brazilians or native Colombians either, other than the nationals of each one of these countries.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:21 PM

9,172 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Default Do you think the rivalry between the East and the West is a permanent feature of the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
"East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet" was a famous line written in 1889 by the poet Rudyard Kipling.

Based on what is going on in the world today, do you agree this is true? Is there perhaps something about the geography of the world that affects people's psychology? Even Xi Jinping recently called Vladimir Putin his "best and bosom friend."
Nah, when you look at human history, what we have now is just a blib of time. Things change.

And even right now, there are nations in the East, like Japan and South Korea that are different. There are 176 million people in Japan and South Korea and they are not supporting Putin as their friend.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:26 PM

There is a geographically definable place. called whatever you like. where the Caucasian and Indo-European ethnicity appear to have gained a foothold. Their descendant carried their dominating ethnicity to what is now called "The West". That group includes the modern Russians. Whom a poster called "trash". I requested (but do not expect) an explanation of exactly what "Russia" means, especially in the OP's context of "permanent"?

If I cite an analogous and explanatory example, it doesn't mean that the original OP has now been replaced by a whole new unrelated topic.

Old 03-10-2022, 05:59 PM

17 posts, read 13,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
The only thing I take exception to here is the characterization that Russians are grouped with the Chinese and UNlike Americans, whatever else you have to say about them. Two of my four grandparents got off the boat with Russian documents, and I challenge you to distinguish me from other Americans on that basis aline.
Russians in Russia are grouped with the Chinese in China, no one is talking about Russian-Americans (or Chinese-Americans for that matter) whose grandparents left their homeland to come to the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World