Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 03:22 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times

Advertisements

Lmao so if you can trust wiki (I hate both left and right wing sites so I doubt wiki/twitter) but anyway there must've been just 6 mass shootings in the last year of the last century compared to 600+ last year, doing the simple math thats 24% increase per year which results in insane exponential increase leading to literally tens of millions of shootings after 50 years. Yeah as even kids know China/India are the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2022, 04:19 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Used to go on holiday in Florida each October with my parents as a kid.
I always wanted to live in America in the first 30 years of my life, last couple years completely changed my mind.
A similar thing happened to me, until about 24/25 the US was the holy grail, loved my time in New York and Miami especially. Now I much prefer to stick around London and travel or live in Europe. South America is also appealing because it's like being in Europe but also like being in the US and the cost of living and natural beauty & zest for living life is a major drawer. The US has almost self-inflicted unnecessary pain unto itself. I think it all began to dwindle post Clinton era.

Old 11-24-2022, 05:40 PM

2,300 posts, read 1,521,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I think a bigger concern that will impact the number of tourist visitors to the USA is the strength of the dollar on top of already high prices for hotels, restaurants, rental cars and many tourist attractions. The dollar has gained almost 15 percent value in the past year over many other currencies such as the Euro, so that means it will cost 15 percent more Euros, Pounds, Yen or Yuan to buy dollars to pay the high prices in the USA.

Violent crime and shootings in the US happen way too often but they usually don't happen in the places frequented by the bulk of international tourists. It's the same situation for Mexico - how many millions of tourists still go to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta or Cancun in spite of the horrific drug cartel violence in other states of Mexico?
Definitely the strength of the US dollar against ours as well as the very high price of flights right now means the US is not on our radar. My brother travels to Nth America nearly every year to ski but his next trip will be to Canada.

We have spent about twenty-five weeks in total in the US and the scenery is the biggest attraction for us. Husband would love to return to Utah, in particular. We would sadly give San Francisco a miss, as the homeless situation was very unpleasant last time.

Old 11-24-2022, 06:03 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
With the extreme high level of shootings in public places in the USA, and the overall climate of violence in this country. Does it impact in the decision making when planning a trip, for business or pleasure to the USA? Some of my relatives in Ireland not all but some, have no desire to visit the USA anymore. I have learned that a few of them have become turned off to the problems here, and don't feel comfortable in public places here. It's primarily the older relatives which I can understand.

Is this becoming more common place for tourist to the USA, deciding its not a place I want to visit or do business with? If so I think I can understand their concern.
Actually, I would love to visit the USA, and sure there is a concern of the high level of violence. However, despite the killings, most of the USA is safe. However, I still do plan to visit there someday.

Old 11-25-2022, 03:23 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Only thing holding me back from a trip to America is the weak euro v dollar

Old 11-25-2022, 07:25 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Violence in the USA is nothing new. You should have seen in during the crack epidemic days of the 1980's and 90's. Only there wasn't social media and most people didn't have internet yet so the information wasn't as widespread. Also like now, most of the violence is concentrated in areas of cities where most tourists won't have any reason to go, and the areas that they do go are relatively safe.

Old 11-25-2022, 07:46 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
With the extreme high level of shootings in public places in the USA, and the overall climate of violence in this country. Does it impact in the decision making when planning a trip, for business or pleasure to the USA? Some of my relatives in Ireland not all but some, have no desire to visit the USA anymore. I have learned that a few of them have become turned off to the problems here, and don't feel comfortable in public places here. It's primarily the older relatives which I can understand.

Is this becoming more common place for tourist to the USA, deciding its not a place I want to visit or do business with? If so I think I can understand their concern.
How can it not? I lived and worked in many countries over a 15-year period in several continents and yes, many people have mentioned fearing a trip to the USA, with good reason.

The USA is expensive, has very little cultural appeal as a young nation, has high violent crime, and not very good food and super high medical cost, all good reasons for the USA getting little international tourism. The one thing we do have is some good national parks., otherwise, I can't think of a good reason for international tourists to visit the USA.

Old 11-25-2022, 09:12 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
I am Canadian and still visit the US (did so a few months ago) but while gang violence generally happens in areas of the US not visited by tourists, mass shootings can happen absolutely anywhere. Including areas frequented by tourists.

Old 11-25-2022, 12:53 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
How can it not? I lived and worked in many countries over a 15-year period in several continents and yes, many people have mentioned fearing a trip to the USA, with good reason.

The USA is expensive, has very little cultural appeal as a young nation, has high violent crime, and not very good food and super high medical cost, all good reasons for the USA getting little international tourism. The one thing we do have is some good national parks., otherwise, I can't think of a good reason for international tourists to visit the USA.
The US can be expensive for Canadians, depending on exchange rates.

As for cultural appeal, I have to disagree. There a quite a lot of places that people would find interesting, depending on your tastes.

Food...well, there does seem to be a lot of bad fast food, and in some places it's prevalent. However there is lots of great food, just do your homework. The larger cities of course are going to have more choice, but if someone says they can't find good food in LA, or NYC, Chicago etc, then they aren't really looking. On a road trip, it can be a bit trickier. By road trip I mean along major highways. A road trip through Napa will be different.

Medical costs...well last month when I was buying medical travel insurance for a trip to Mexico, they did ask twice, if I was going to spend ANY time in the US, because if I were...the cost of the insurance goes up. So ya, it's more expensive, but not unmanageable for tourists.

Violence. It's in the back of my mind more when I'm in the US. I'm certainly aware I'm not in Canada. In the past I just avoided bad neighbourhoods, but over the years, seeing more mass shootings in places that I could have easily been in, has given me pause and I'm sure it's keeping some tourists away.

Old 11-25-2022, 01:32 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
Foreign tourists love to come to America,to San Fran,Las Vegas,NEW YORK, New Orleans.and Hawaii/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World