Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2024, 05:33 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

I wish these translation apps had been available when I was in the navy. Have you tried them in your travels? Have you found some worked better than others? The ones that I’m talking about include a camera that translates writing like road and business signs and those that translates speech to help communicate with locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 10:40 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Not an app, but check on Vavus device.

Other than that Google translator is pretty good. I never had any problems with it.(text, voice and pictures)
I think it supports about 100 languages.

Say hi, is pretty good too.

Last edited by elnina; 01-16-2024 at 10:50 PM..

Old 01-18-2024, 11:02 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,379,295 times
When I was living in Germany up until recently, my most frequent trips to a place where I did not speak the language was to nearby Czech Republic, about 1 hour south of my former residence. Most of my travels in Czech Republic were to out of the way places that not many tourists visited and where English or German speakers were not so common. I frequently used Google Translate to communicate simple phrases.

The key to good results with Google Translate is to write or speak the English text in short, simple sentences. For example:
"I want a one-way ticket for a senior citizen over age 65 from Pardubice to Decin." I would simply show the translated text to the train conductor or ticket window attendant and they would tell me the ticket price and hand me the ticket. No hassles.

The camera function on Google Translate works fairly well if you focus it only on the text you want to translate. In Europe, road signs are typically in standardized European Union symbol instead of text format, so never had a need to translate road signs.

Old 01-18-2024, 11:35 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,172,581 times
^^^ That's exactly what I do, and I am happy with the Google translation results. For a machine, it's very intuitive.

Old 01-19-2024, 07:10 AM

710 posts, read 292,160 times
Yeah just use Google Translate. Works good enough and is free. The text translate, with taking a picture and letting the app translate, works well. Used it for business purposes.

Although, we tried to use the verbal google translate in a taxi cab once in China and the driver just ignored it.

Old 01-20-2024, 10:21 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wadd View Post
Yeah just use Google Translate. Works good enough and is free. The text translate, with taking a picture and letting the app translate, works well. Used it for business purposes.

Although, we tried to use the verbal google translate in a taxi cab once in China and the driver just ignored it.
In China, taxi drivers respond best to things that are written down.

Old 01-20-2024, 05:54 PM

710 posts, read 292,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
In China, taxi drivers respond best to things that are written down.
Yes I am no stranger to China taxis (enough to know where to sit when the drivers spits out the window, as they always seem to do - hint: always sit on the right side, or keep your window up), we have our destinations written in Mandarin of course. This was communication that required an on the fly interaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World