Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 07:39 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dali_wami View Post
The best cities are always the ones with the highest crime rate lol, thats where everything is happening, add great scenery and some great people. Oh and the most fun to be had has to be in the ghettos. Surburbia is just boring with white picket fences everyone locked up with a gun strapped to thier scared ass! I must say Southern Africa is really a lively place. Cape Town and Windhoek (lower crime rate than Cape Town) nice cities definately!!
Windhoek is in Namibia, north of South Afirca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 03:38 PM

11 posts, read 38,917 times
i agree with DawnW about Dubai but I'm also surprised that Singaphore is not there !!..It is one of the greatest countries and cleanest .!!they say that the punishment of a drug dealer is death.!!!!they care so much for thier country!!! Indonesia also is one of the greatest in everything .i've experienced living there for a month and while i was eating in a restaurant at the top of a mountain a cloud went thru me and my friend .it was an amazing feeling !!!you really feel that ur flying on the clouds and oh not mentioning the weather .the weather was marvilous .it is really heaven of earth..

Old 08-07-2008, 03:43 PM

318 posts, read 934,157 times
Baghdad only got 13.5 lol, but of the top 10 I wouldnt wanna live in any of them so its not the top ten places to live for everyone.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:17 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
This particular survey is based on opinions by employees who are seconded to different cities. Most, if not all, are very high-paid professionals, with a lot of their expenses paid for, or compensated by their companies, i.e., rents, company cars, flights home, cost-of-living assistance, etc.

This is not the average Joe's world, or the average person's idea of best place to live. Your quality of life won't be as great if you have to pay high housing costs yourself, pay for your own car and its running costs, or have to live in far-off suburbs and have to deal with the terrible traffic on a day to day basis.

Those surveyed in this study will be able to live in high-rent districts, the company helping to pay for that, closer to where they work so they don't experience the horrible traffic. And if the weather is crap, they can afford to jet off some place warm more regularly than the average person.

Although there's an element of useful truth to these surveys, they really shouldn't be viewed as the only valid source of info on Best Place to Live, or make you think if your city is not in the top ten that's it's a bad place to live.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:30 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
This topic is about individual preference in life, depending on each person, other than set universal standards in life for everyone.

I noticed the website link is having way too much emphasis on economic wealth, and economic security mostly for the wealthiest elite people, some other relatively sterile bland statistics, and sacrificing some other important characteristics in the quality of life of a place, at least for cities such as Dusseldorf, Munich, Frankfurt, Bern, Luxembourg, Ottawa. I don’t agree with those cities and they seem relatively dull for most people.

The website link should have included more important characteristics in quality of life, and being more well balanced for what they included over there.

However, I at least agree with a decent amount of cities in the World’s Top 20 best places to live in list, 9 out of 20 places total: Vienna, Geneva, Vancouver, Sydney, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Brussels, Melbourne, Stockholm.

The top 20 list said in the website link: I highlighted in bold only the cities I agree qualifying in the top 20 list The World's Best Places to Live 2008 - Yahoo! Finance

1. Zurich
2. Vienna
3. Geneva
4. Vancouver
5. Auckland
6.Dusseldorf
7. Munich
8. Frankfurt
9. Bern
10. Sydney
11. Copenhagen
12. Wellington
13. Amsterdam
14. Brussels
15. Toronto
16. Berlin
17. Melbourne
18. Luxembourg
19. Ottawa
20. Stockholm

Old 08-18-2013, 04:17 AM

45 posts, read 198,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
=
I've never been to Sydney or Auckland, but I would love to go some day.
You should

Old 08-18-2013, 11:28 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Cool, two NZ cities make the cut. Both great places for a night out (my criteria) I don't really much attention to such lists though.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:12 AM

45 posts, read 198,594 times
Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Old 08-19-2013, 04:00 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,383,967 times
A bit surprising that Dusseldorf and Frankfurt have so high positions. Nice towns I think but nothing special there imo.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:35 AM

1,946 posts, read 2,563,054 times

Japan vs America: Harassment - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World