Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 12:04 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times

Advertisements

I didn't really know where else to start this thread but since a lot of it has to do with the healthcare system in America vs the UK, Cuba and Europe in general.

I'm an American, born to a Scottish mother. She was born and raised in Scotland and I was born here in the states, I traveled back and forth to Scotland to visit family several times as a child.

Even though I have not been raised overseas, I feel a strong connection to Scotland / UK, etc..

Ok, so I watched this documentary and would love to hear from others who have also seen it.

I have to tell you that while I was watching it, I was so enraged and angry at the US and their healthcare system and how they treat citizens of this country when it comes to their health.

I was so mad, so upset, so disgusted and I cried, oh Lord, I cried for the americans featured in this film. It really cemented a lot of beliefs I already had about our country but moreso, it made me want to move to another country OR move if I ever got seriously ill.

It has snuffed out the last little bit of hope I had for the country I live in and the healthcare system.

I guess I just wanted to share my frustration with others from other countries. If you haven't seen this, please put aside whatever feelings / opinions (if any) about Michael Moore and watch it. It's well directed and just very disturbing and disappointing.

Just venting....

Old 04-24-2009, 01:49 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
Yeah I just loved the part where he took a group of Americans to Cuba for their superior health care.
But wait! Earlier in the film a list flashed up on the screen from the World Health Organization showing the U.S. above Cuba in quality of healthcare.

His films are full of half truths and really need to be looked at that way. He did not address many of the reasons why our healthcare needs an overhaul and he offered no answers beyond socialized medicine.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:38 PM

157 posts, read 243,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Yeah I just loved the part where he took a group of Americans to Cuba for their superior health care.
But wait! Earlier in the film a list flashed up on the screen from the World Health Organization showing the U.S. above Cuba in quality of healthcare.

His films are full of half truths and really need to be looked at that way. He did not address many of the reasons why our healthcare needs an overhaul and he offered no answers beyond socialized medicine.
Thank you for this.

I'm an American from the State of Connecticut. I agree that something needs to be done about our health care system, but I truly do not believe that socialized medicine is the way for us. And I say this as someone whose mother had to file for bankruptcy due to medical bills.

One thing that doesn't get a lot of coverage and is glossed over is how much the private sector contributes to the health care system and how much taxpayer funded help there already is for those who can't afford to pay. I volunteer my time at Yale-New Haven Hospital every week, and here are some of the things I've learned:

--Last year alone, at just Yale-New Haven Hospital, volunteers were responsible for contributing 100,000 hours of work.
--Yale New-Haven Hospital has a pay-blind policy, and it's not the only one. That means that if you walk into the hospital with a medical issue, even a non-emergency, you are cared for regardless of your ability to pay.
--In Connecticut (I can't speak for other states), there are programs available to those who are uninsured and whose income is insufficient to support paying medical bills. An acquaintance of mine, who falls into this category, has needed a hip replacement due to a car accident injury for years. Unfortunately, like so many citizens, due to the propaganda out there about our health-care system, he didn't think there were any options and was just suffering. My husband told him about the state program and took him to the doctor to begin the process. He has since received his hip replacement, and the State of Connecticut covered 100% of the cost.

There are other sides to this story, many potential solutions, and a great deal of information that's being omitted from media coverage and government discussion of the issue.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:01 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
The two previous respondents all make valid points. In "Sicko" I think Moore overplays the bad about the U.S. health care system while conveniently glossing over the negative to the systems in Canada, Britain and France.

Please don't construe that statement as supporting what we have. I believe we can learn something from those other systems, but I think we need to craft an American solution to the problem -- one that covers everyone while maintaining the good aspects to what we have.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:23 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Moderator's Note:

Moore's movie Sicko is hardly a recent release. It has been the subject of three other World forum threads, all of which were due to rampant Terms of Service abuses.

Those who wish to gather member's opinions ae welcome to use the Search feature to access those threads.

Let's move on to more productive topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World