Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Poll results on living in the USA, looking to relocate to different country outside of US, seeking information on possible countries, warm climate important

View Poll Results: Your opinions on the U.S.
I live here, and I love it. 87 48.88%
I dont live there, but I wish I did. 12 6.74%
I live here, but can't wait to leave. 19 10.67%
I live here but I'm thinking of leaving. 50 28.09%
I would prefer to live outside the U.S. and just visit. 25 14.04%
I dont live there and I never would. 5 2.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 07:30 AM

130 posts, read 466,328 times

Advertisements

Between the FDA's recent appoval of cloning certain foods, this joke of a presidential campaign, the housing crisis, etc.... I'm getting to the point where I'm just sick of the U.S. Does anyone have any ideas about where one could relocate outside of the States? Somewhere that you could still make a decent living though without killing yourself. Oh and preferrably somewhere warm!

Any ideas?

Old 01-18-2008, 08:21 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze18 View Post
Between the FDA's recent appoval of cloning certain foods, this joke of a presidential campaign, the housing crisis, etc.... I'm getting to the point where I'm just sick of the U.S. Does anyone have any ideas about where one could relocate outside of the States? Somewhere that you could still make a decent living though without killing yourself. Oh and preferrably somewhere warm!

Any ideas?

If you want a warm weather with the same kind of standard of living you can go to Spain, Italy or french riviera.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:22 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,755 times
oh, and maybe Australia, but to be honest I don't know where you can find a good weather there.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:37 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
America has become a good place for those who need a forklift to move their money around.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:03 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
I love visiting the US, I find Americans friendly and open and think it is has some of the most spectacular scenery on earth. I know the country pretty well too.

My partner and I considered moving to the US for 3 or 4 years (New England), we thought about it long and hard and decided it wasn't for us after all.

The Nations seems obsessed with money and seems to value success in terms of how much money you earn and how much stuff you can accumulate.

I would not be comfortable living somewhere you are judged entirely on the size of your bank account. Rampant consumerism is bad here in the UK for example but somehow it still feels less prevalent.

Aggressive Capitalism does not sit well with either of us and this forum has highlighted to me the arrogance and complete lack of compassion shown by many to people who are poor and vulnerable.

I find it sickening to hear comments on a daily basis on "so what if people can't afford healthcare it's not my problem, why should I pay for it?!.

It shocks me and I know it shocks the very vast majority of Europeans who regardless of political affiliation ( right or left wing)can still look at other human beings as fellow "brothers" not disposal garbage. Being poor in the US seems akin to being a criminal. In fact I suspect some people have more respect for rich drug dealers and corporate criminals than a homeless but decent man.

I am sure the US are a fabulous place for those with millions in the bank, off-shore accounts and the social sensitivity of sharks ( no offence to sharks who are probably better than that).

Being poor or even just poorer is far, far worse than anywhere else in the developed world IMO.

I believe in human rights, a modicum of social fairness and re-dressing the balance of social injustice.

I believe in a social net so that ALL people have access to what most civilised human beings see as basic rights, access to free education, free universal healthcare, and do not see taxes as some satanic idea to take "my" money away. Decent paid vacation time for ALL people too.

I am also wary of the really slanted media ( bad enough in Europe but seems far worse in America) where it seems a large proportion of the population is basically misinformed on a daily basis by what I consider blatant propaganda. The so called war on terror being one of them.

I am also scared of ANY Nation which encourages people to be blindly jingoistic and seems to imply that any criticism of the country is seen as a betrayal and almost an act of National treason ( also as exhibited in terrifying fashion on the forum).

And finally the fundamentalist Christian extremists ( forum again) really freak me out. Living in secular Europe, I am constantly shocked at some of the hatred, bigotry , xenophobia, homophobia and virtual fascism I see.

I spent 3 years of my life in the US and will always enjoy visiting but I am sad to say it just does not feel right as a place to settle for the reasons expressed above.

And don't get me started on Bush, the war on terror, and all that...

I have to say this forum has certainly opened my eyes further !

Old 01-18-2008, 11:56 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,465,211 times
i live here, and love it for the most part.

just not the way our politics are right now

Old 01-18-2008, 12:06 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,736,727 times
No place is perfect. Politics are usually the problem.
I am happy to live in this beautiful country.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:21 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,067,439 times
Moose, I'd say your assessment is fair for about 25% of the population. Sadly, that 25% are the ones most commonly portrayed in the media and often looked up to as role models by much of the normal citizenry. You will also find them to be very prevalent in the major cities, which is probably why your visits to the US have not changed your views much.

I like the USA. I enjoy living here. I might consider living somewhere else, but for now I'm going to keep doing what I can to foster social change toward a better values set.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:26 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
From my own limited experience working in Europe... I would have to say that many of the people I engaged in conversation had a distorted view of America... saying it in terms of a "Love/Hate" relationship would be a little too strong... but you get the idea.

Health care is one issue that I was repeatedly quarried. The Pastor of a Sunday Service I was invited to visit was not 1 minute into his sermon when he started going after America by saying. "If your not a millionaire you might as well be on the street regarding Health Care in America"

I work in Health Care and I personally know many cases of families of very modest or no means have received the very best Health Care.

One recent case involves a child born with a serious heart defect to a single family Mom on Section 8. This child received the best care Stanford University could offer at NO COST. The child spent 9 months of his first year at Stanford. The care. conservatively, would have easily cost several hundred thousand dollars. If this child would have been born in an EU country, the probability of being treated for his heart defect would be slim to none.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:27 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,736,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Moose, I'd say your assessment is fair for about 25% of the population. Sadly, that 25% are the ones most commonly portrayed in the media and often looked up to as role models by much of the normal citizenry. You will also find them to be very prevalent in the major cities, which is probably why your visits to the US have not changed your views much.

I like the USA. I enjoy living here. I might consider living somewhere else, but for now I'm going to keep doing what I can to foster social change toward a better values set.
Agreed. The media here is an issue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World