Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 06:28 PM

24 posts, read 108,437 times

Advertisements

Defining "nobody" - I mean that I don't have any traits or aspects about me that set me apart from other people. I'm not a doctor, lawyer, businessperson. I don't want to work in IT nor do I have experience in any job field that is currently booming.

About me:
21 (don't have any responsibilities; children, spouses, loans)
Will be College grad; one year left (BA in Philosophy, useless I know)
Speak American English, Spanish, some French
Wouldn't mind picking up another language while I improve my French
US American citizen

Things I don't like about US cities
Sparse cities layouts
If cities are dense, they're usually expensive and have a high cost of living
Cultures seem lacking compared to other cities
I'm not fond of the atmosphere and demeanor in US cities I've been to.

I'm looking for a dense city somewhere in the world (preferably in Western Europe or South America) that a person like me can assimilate into without sacrificing safety or putting my life in danger.

I'm fond of Amsterdam and Barcelona, but they seem to be a community of close knit familiarity. Although I think I can identify with Barcelona culturally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 06:57 PM

228 posts, read 810,876 times
You could probably assimilate easily in any modern developed city. I love the world but I dont get to travel much. However, I have been to Panama City and BUenos ARies. I would recommend both.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:04 PM

549 posts, read 1,666,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Reader View Post
Defining "nobody" - I mean that I don't have any traits or aspects about me that set me apart from other people. I'm not a doctor, lawyer, businessperson. I don't want to work in IT nor do I have experience in any job field that is currently booming.

About me:
21 (don't have any responsibilities; children, spouses, loans)
Will be College grad; one year left (BA in Philosophy, useless I know)
Speak American English, Spanish, some French
Wouldn't mind picking up another language while I improve my French
US American citizen

Things I don't like about US cities
Sparse cities layouts
If cities are dense, they're usually expensive and have a high cost of living
Cultures seem lacking compared to other cities
I'm not fond of the atmosphere and demeanor in US cities I've been to.

I'm looking for a dense city somewhere in the world (preferably in Western Europe or South America) that a person like me can assimilate into without sacrificing safety or putting my life in danger.

I'm fond of Amsterdam and Barcelona, but they seem to be a community of close knit familiarity. Although I think I can identify with Barcelona culturally.
Sydney-Melbourne-Australia

Worst case scenario> You´ll make minimum wage (over $20,000/year)

I dont think youll make minimum wage...so you´ll be making over $35,000/year.

Even a secondary substitute teacher makes almost $300/day in Australia (that´s an example...I teach Math in Miami and I have considered Australia as an excellent option).

U.S. citizens may obtain a working visa to live in Australia. The requirement for U.S. americans to get a working holiday visa is to have a bachelors degree (you will have one soon) and good health. You may renew your visa every year until you turn 31.... enough time to find a beautiful wife and make a family.

If you are a dual citizen and your other nationality is Canadian or European, you dont have to have a bachelors degree in order to apply for a working holiday visa.

Last edited by Eduardo983; 08-27-2009 at 09:15 PM..

Old 08-27-2009, 11:39 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,859,846 times
Basically any major city in Canada..

Toronto
Montreal
Vancouver
Ottawa
Calgary
Edmonton

Old 08-28-2009, 06:39 AM

43,733 posts, read 44,495,603 times
NYC has most of the traits that you are looking for but it does have a high cost of living which is its main drawback. If you are looking to live in another country, you really need to obtain work permit/visa for that country before moving there (unless you are rich & don't need to work).
Western European cities like London & Paris are expensive (similar to NYC).
If you are interested in a Spanish speaking culture you might try Ecuador. Quito the capital might be nice, but I have only visited there (so that is my impression).
I think Melbourne, Australia would fit what you are looking for (having spent 6 months there some years ago).

Old 08-28-2009, 05:44 PM

351 posts, read 1,875,050 times
Try Manila. As a megacity, it's got room for everyone... and no one is a Nobody!

Old 08-29-2009, 11:49 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,370,649 times
Seattle may be a good place for you since the city is small but does have dense housing because of the terrain. Further, it's American and I'm assuming that you are too ... so no need for complicated visas. Most of the populace are transplants, and nerds since many people work for tech firms, Boeing, or in the medical area. There's also a cool arts scene, and I'm sure you can find people who would be willing to take in a nobody.

It is sorta expensive, but still more affordable than most cities already listed on here.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:19 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,391,999 times
Many of the thing you say you dislike about US cities apply to European cities except for the sprawling part (actually, ther is quite a bit of that, too. Then again, outside of the charming city centers of European (and Canadian, Australian, etc.) cities you are oftern relegated to living in dull housing blocks.

The awesome parts of Euro cities that you have visited in your travels with the culture and excitement and high standard of living are expensive, The second-tier cities of Europe look like the big cities but can be quite provincial, xenophobic, or filled with 'foreigners'.

Europe is great but you sound like you have rose-colored glasses. That said I wouldn't discourage you from trying to move to Europe or elsewhere ad priori. Just be realistic. There is no paradise city. The glow will wear off eventually wherever you go unless you have realistic expectations just like with human relationships.

ABQConvict

Old 09-03-2009, 07:26 PM

24 posts, read 108,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Many of the thing you say you dislike about US cities apply to European cities except for the sprawling part (actually, ther is quite a bit of that, too. Then again, outside of the charming city centers of European (and Canadian, Australian, etc.) cities you are oftern relegated to living in dull housing blocks.

The awesome parts of Euro cities that you have visited in your travels with the culture and excitement and high standard of living are expensive, The second-tier cities of Europe look like the big cities but can be quite provincial, xenophobic, or filled with 'foreigners'.

Europe is great but you sound like you have rose-colored glasses. That said I wouldn't discourage you from trying to move to Europe or elsewhere ad priori. Just be realistic. There is no paradise city. The glow will wear off eventually wherever you go unless you have realistic expectations just like with human relationships.

ABQConvict
I don't think I have rose-colored glasses on. I'm very realistic about my endeavors and I know what to expect. I know what to expect in the US, but I don't know what to exactly expect in other places, although I suspect what I expect accurately. And when I went to Europe, I incidentally (since I chose the hostels carelessly ) stayed in pretty much the poor or rural area of cities.

My native culture isn't American, and I felt more comfortable in Europe than I do here even if I was just walking down an ordinary neighborhood. Although I wouldn't mind staying in Bueno Aires or Montreal for a while. Australia seems too far from home.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:32 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,384,030 times
If you're at all interested in picking up German, Berlin would be one of my recommendations. Great neighborhoods, an excellent "expat" community as well as a very diverse German community- the blend of which can provide for a very international experience in an amazing city while also getting started on another language!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World