Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:15 AM

204 posts, read 617,791 times

Advertisements

I inhabit a part of the midwest where many folks don't trust any food that didn't moo or get harvested with a potato digger. I love to try new foods. Authentic it may not be (here in the midwest), but I'll give it a try in hopes there may be a bit of homeland present.

Have any of you tried cuisines that you gave a fair chance, but decided they just weren't for you? What was it that didn't appeal?

The "Southern US cooking in Europe" thread got me thinking.....at first I thought "hell yeah" , to Southern cooking in Europe, but then I considered my experiences with Indian food. I LOVE most Indian dishes I've tried except for Indian desserts. I just can't get past the levels of sweetness and spice combinations in the many that I've tried. So, in my limited experience I do see some tastes/flavors might be hard to enjoy if they're really different from your norm.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 06:18 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
I have a hard time with bitter melon and bitter tea. Just a tiny hint of it is alright, but anything slightly above that is disgusting for me.

I'm with you on the Indian sweets. Most of the ones I've tried have been way too sweet for me.

I wasn't too impressed with most of the food I had in the Philippines. It's not that it's bad, so much that it seemed unremarkable--especially for a country of its history.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:50 AM

29 posts, read 115,551 times
I don't like Korean and the most of the Mexican food (too spicy for me). And don't like Ukrainian cuisine for being too greasy.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:58 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Korean's been the only ethnic restaurant meal I haven't liked. I've tried it twice. Second time was to give it another chance. I love all the various world cuisines, in general. There are sometimes specific dishes I don't like. Most offal, okra, boiled meats, lack of spicing or garlic in meat dishes, too greasy (fish and chips, meat pies, sausage rolls).

Old 12-11-2009, 04:13 PM

183 posts, read 801,792 times
Like some of the previous posters, I also don't like Korean food.

However, I am a fan of most other Asian cuisines...particularly Thai and Indonesian. The funny thing is that I was in SE Asia on business a couple of months ago and didn't like the food at all. I actually ate very little while I was there because I couldn't find anything that appealed to me. I ate mostly fruit. So, perhaps it is safe to say that I enjoy Asian cooking in the States.

Strangely, I'm also not a huge fan of French cuisine. I mean, there are plenty of things I love, like the bread, cheese, pastries, vegetables...but some of it seems too involved for me. I prefer simple, less-involved food and much of what I have had in France was very complex.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:16 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I find most French food to be rather simple. French haute-cuisine is complex as are Indian and various east Asian cuisines.

I had a bad experience in a Hungarian restaurant once but I wouldn't be willing to single Hungarian food out as one I disliked until I have had the chance to try more.

ABQConvict

Old 12-11-2009, 09:16 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,173,884 times
The only cuisine I've tried and haven't really enjoyed at all is Ethiopian food. I guess a big part of the problem is that I really don't like injera, which is the bread used to eat with.

I'm also not a big fan of Mexican food because I hate all the staples (guacamole, rice, beans, etc.). But I generally like most of the other stuff. Chips and salsa, chimichangas, quesadillas (or anything with cheese), churros...

British food ranges from pretty bland to downright inedible IMO, but it does have its saving graces.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:21 PM

550 posts, read 1,356,098 times
I'm southeast Asian, Cambodian, and I love a lot of food from the region. I love Thai and Vietnamese food in general.

I have tried Indian cuisine and could did not like it like I anticipated. I thought Indian cuisine would be similar to southeast Asian but I was slightly wrong. Indian food seem to be very peppery. I am used to spicy food but not like Indian spices. It hits the back of my throat unlike the spices I am used to (thai chili peppers). The pita-like bread is great though!

Old 12-11-2009, 10:50 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
I, for one, was underwhelmed by Vietnamese foods. There's about a million pho and soup places in Seattle and I've been to a few good ones with a Vietnamese woman I had a thing for, and none of them were really spectacular.

Authentic Chinese food (yeah, grasshoppers and various other things they eat, NOT the fried rice and various chicken dishes you can get anywhere in the USA) really hasn't appealed to me.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:06 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
Irish, except for the breakfast. Someone needs to ship a container freighter full of spices to Ireland, along with a how-to guide for using them. Don't get me wrong; I liked nearly everything about Ireland, and I don't even mind that the food didn't stir up much of an appetite. It helped me to lose some weight between all the hiking and walking and knowing not to have very high expectations about dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World