Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:25 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times

Advertisements

Two that stand out:

Italians
Chinese

Even if they've lived in a place for generations, these two groups often predominantly identify themselves as 'Italian' or 'Chinese' instead of xxxx country. Maybe that's changing, and plenty don't, but I'm talking where their so-called 'ethnic identity' trascends their identity as a citizen of a certain country. Perhaps this is less so in the US than other countries, which is more inclusive in that sense, but many Italians in Australia sometimes distinguish themselves from 'Australians.'

As for Chinese, there are many so-called 'overseas Chinese' in SE Asia who, by a combination of self-segregation and being segregated by colonial powers, who tend to continue to speak Chinese languages, mainly mix among themselves etc...of course many are more integrated - one could question whether those in Thailand are even 'Chinese' in any meaningful sense, but I've heard that no matter how removed descendants of the Yellow Emperor (according to myth, of course) will always see those who are Chinese by descent as first and foremost Chinese.

I would say the British are an example of the opposite. Those Americans with British ancestry often barely acknowledge it, and you can be born in the UK, come here at a young age and be fully considered an 'Australian'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 08:33 PM

7 posts, read 8,690 times
Australians who moved to the US. They hate their isolated country so much that they deny the existence of it.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:20 PM

210 posts, read 565,846 times
Cubans in the USA?

Old 06-21-2012, 11:26 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,018,557 times
I'd imagine many Canadians, Australians, Brits, after moving to the United States!

Old 06-21-2012, 11:28 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Do you blame the Chinese? They tend to be marginalized or treated like foreigners wherever they are, even if they've been someplace for generations.

Americans cling to their nationality.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:47 PM

497 posts, read 1,430,734 times
Depends on culture and education level.
An immigrant with no culture and ashamed of his country will be brainwashed in no time by the host country.
It is just what happened to European immigrants into the US generations ago, they lost their culture, language and identity because they thought they came from a sh.i-tty country into a great one.
Now Western Europeans with some education who arrive into the US tend to think otherwise, none of them will let their children loose their language unless they are complete turds or country bumpkins.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:57 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,319,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
... stand out:

Italians
Well, if the criteria is simply referring to themselves as "Italian" even after three generations, maybe.

Otherwise, in almost every other respect, except food and a few curse-words, "Italians" from the first generation are among the first to assimilate into a new culture, the "mother" country not giving one hoot for their fate, except maybe very recently.

But if the criteria is lasting educational institutions, then the answer, among the "nationalities" that I know, is the Jews and the Greeks, hands down, with centuries-old traditions and education centers in thousands of counties and smaller local communities throughout the US and Canada, at least, probably also many parts of the UK and Australia, France, Germany, etc.

In contrast, in the US, for example, there is only one Italian school that I know of with institutional support from the mother country, located in Italy's most wealthy ex-patriate consular and business community in the US.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:12 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Americans I would say.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:57 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,293,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Two that stand out:

Italians
Chinese

Even if they've lived in a place for generations, these two groups often predominantly identify themselves as 'Italian' or 'Chinese' instead of xxxx country. Maybe that's changing, and plenty don't, but I'm talking where their so-called 'ethnic identity' trascends their identity as a citizen of a certain country. Perhaps this is less so in the US than other countries, which is more inclusive in that sense, but many Italians in Australia sometimes distinguish themselves from 'Australians.'

As for Chinese, there are many so-called 'overseas Chinese' in SE Asia who, by a combination of self-segregation and being segregated by colonial powers, who tend to continue to speak Chinese languages, mainly mix among themselves etc...of course many are more integrated - one could question whether those in Thailand are even 'Chinese' in any meaningful sense, but I've heard that no matter how removed descendants of the Yellow Emperor (according to myth, of course) will always see those who are Chinese by descent as first and foremost Chinese.

I would say the British are an example of the opposite. Those Americans with British ancestry often barely acknowledge it, and you can be born in the UK, come here at a young age and be fully considered an 'Australian'.

depends which country your talking about

if its the uk , then south asians hold on to the customs of their home country the most , the usa is more geared towards assimilation rather than multiculturalism , that said , italians , irish and chineese seem to hang on to their roots to the old country

your right about the english , in fact you never even hear the term english american used , despite english americans far outweighing every other immigrant group , i suppose its down to the fact that they were the founding fathers , happens in other countries too , in argentina for example , italians are often listed as the number one immigrant group when they are of course second behind spain , being the founding fathers , the spanish are not counted

Old 06-22-2012, 05:39 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
I'd say it's the ones who aren't assimiliting as fast for whatever reason.

Among white Americans, most Catholics, for examples Polish, Irish, Italian, etc. seemed to hold on to the other identity longer than others.

Also, based on race. If everyone calls your the Korean guy, and you're 3rd generation, you're more likely to continue to keep that as part of your identity, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World