Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:14 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times

Advertisements

What's The Difference Between Christians In America and Europe?
I have lived in Europe and America, so I have an opinion, but will not state that here.
What is your opinion? I'd especially like to hear from those living in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 07:03 PM

78 posts, read 72,265 times
I'm from Ireland originally. The difference = that religious people back home don't shove it in your face and generally, your religion is your own private business and people don't ask you "what church do yew go tew?".

Old 06-07-2010, 07:06 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,793 times
^ What BQ said.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:32 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times
If you are a Christian in Europe, you understand that those around you are no lesser beings simply because they don't necessarily share your faith. Your religion is yours, their religion (or lack thereof) is theirs.

If you are a Christian in the US, many apparently believe that they are superior to all those non-believing sinners - and they are happy to let them know. Your religion is your badge of moral superiority, theirs (if is different from yours, is a call to save a soul). Fortunately, not all seem to think that way but it sure seems that those who understand Christianity the least and who fail to practice the basic tenets of Christianity, feel free to proclaim the loudest just how Christian they are (as the engage in every sin in the book - gluttony, pride, etc.)

For the most part, I find Christians in Europe pleasant, in the US obnoxious.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:15 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
What's The Difference Between Christians In America and Europe?
I have lived in Europe and America, so I have an opinion, but will not state that here.
What is your opinion? I'd especially like to hear from those living in Europe.
A very difficult question to answer.

As an American I find that there is a great similarity in how Christianity, which is to say the varieties of Christianity, are expressed from New England to California, and North to South. One may find more of one type of Christian denomination in a particular area than in another, but across the board evangelical Christians are similar from Maine to Arizona, ditto Catholics, Methodists, and so on.

In Europe, where I have chosen to live, religious expression varies more, I think. Religion in Serbian life is not very similar to religion in Portugual, even allowing for the fact that different denominations are in the majority in those countries.

In some European countries a particular religion is also a badge of nationalism. However, in many Western European countries religion it is not intrusive into the public life of the government and state.

In the U.S. religion is constantly dragged into politics; and, consequently, I often have the same very uncomfortable feeling about it as I do in some eastern European countries where religious identity is a strident, viral theme in public life.

In Western Europe, on the whole, practicing Christians and non-believers aren't going at each other as is the case in the U.S.

Many European countries have seen the terrible results of having religion mixed up in royal politics or in various fascist governments, and there is a sense of caution and questioning on the part of many people about religion in government and public life.

On the other hand, I can see the U.S. easily and quickly falling into an increasingly dangerous christofascist swamp because of the ardent cultivation of religious power groups in American political life.

It is interesting to examine the severe boundaries that the Americans put on religion when they oversaw the creation of the Japanese constitution after WW II. If these same concepts were attempted to be introduced into the U.S. constitution nowadays it would cause a religious war. Sauce for the goose would definitely not be sauce for the gander.

Mencken, I believe it was, who said that if fascism came to America it be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross. And I think he had it 100% right.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:18 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
in france catholic is like a state religion, taken with many grains of salt how bout a box full?

Old 06-08-2010, 03:31 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
in france catholic is like a state religion, taken with many grains of salt how bout a box full?
National religion, perhaps; but nothing like a state religion. And, yes, close to a box, indeed.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:35 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
I have lived in the U.S. for 38 years (New York, New Mexico) and except for the odd Jehovah's Witness who has come to my door (maybe once every 5 years) and the occasional Mormon kid with his backpack and bicycle (maybe twice in my life), I have not had anyone show even the remotest interest in my religion, whether I am saved or anything.

The only time anyone asked, "What church do you go to?" was when I was a kid. It was some Italian kids who were looking for protestants to beat up (I pretended to be Irish ;-).

In fact, I naively assumed that most Americans were athiest/agnostic until I was well into my twenties when I started hearing statistics about how many Americans believed in god.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:06 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I have lived in the U.S. for 38 years (New York, New Mexico) and except for the odd Jehovah's Witness who has come to my door (maybe once every 5 years) and the occasional Mormon kid with his backpack and bicycle (maybe twice in my life), I have not had anyone show even the remotest interest in my religion, whether I am saved or anything.

The only time anyone asked, "What church do you go to?" was when I was a kid. It was some Italian kids who were looking for protestants to beat up (I pretended to be Irish ;-).

In fact, I naively assumed that most Americans were athiest/agnostic until I was well into my twenties when I started hearing statistics about how many Americans believed in god.
Well, New York and most of the Northeast along with the West Coast and parts of the Southwest are the most irreligious areas in the country. I remember seeing a recent study that said the Northeast was the number one most irreligious region, but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw that. So you would find less there, but the interior of the country, especially the lower South is way more religious.

So if you have people shoving religion in your face here, it's most likely gonna be in the interior, not on the coasts.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:07 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Southeast is completely different. Social lives revolve around church and church groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World