Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 07:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,104,813 times

Advertisements

Absolutely not. Nearly every book I read, I am astounded that any human being can write like that. I know I can't, and I can't even imagine that I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 08:42 AM

88,696 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Yes, I know I can.

Will it be a GOOD book? Well, that's a different question entirely.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:47 PM

41,999 posts, read 75,335,663 times
I have! When I was 10 or 11, I wrote a book about the daily foibles of a teenage girl called Kelly. The book was called Kelly, too.

It was handwritten, in pencil, on school tablet paper. I illustrated it myself, designed a cover, numbered the pages, the whole nine yards.

Alas, at some point as I grew older and more jaded, I pitched it.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:26 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,138,254 times
I'm in the process of writing THREE books.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:41 PM

7,151 posts, read 12,700,689 times
I'd always wanted to write a book...I had written and been published in a couple of anthologies, and written non-fiction, research articles for magazines and essays for newspapers and my e-zine...but a book? It seemed so overwhelming; daunting.

But...with the help of an encouraging, supportive writing group, chapter by chapter, I did write a book. It's now published as an e-book. My book has been well-reviewed and is selling steadily. Falling Through Time: Patricia Comroe Frank: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

What a thrill!

I'm flirting with writing a sequel (as readers have requested), but not sure yet...the first book took almost two years. I felt like Alice when she fell through the Looking Glass. One becomes very engrossed in writing a novel and it was hard, at times, to return to reality...especially when reality often seemed much harsher than the world I created in my book! I wanted to stay in my little world of Happy Camp. I loved the characters I'd created; they'd become my friends. When the elder wise woman, Sophia, dies, I cried. Strange, yes? After all, It was ME who'd killed her off...!

My advice is to find a supportive writing group and maybe you, too will realize your dream...word by word, chapter by chapter. It's a wonderful feeling, having a book with your name as author.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:49 AM

25,947 posts, read 18,946,695 times
I teach math at a local university to pay the bills. I do well, so I'm told. In fact, I've been told many times that I should write an algebra textbook in the same style that I teach. Deep down inside, I know this would be helpful to a lot of people because I am somehow able to explain math and algebra to "non-math people" in a way they can understand.

Problem is... I just can't force myself to even start something like that. The irony is that I spend most of my waking hours writing. But I write fiction. I love fiction. I have seven novels published on Amazon and Createspace. I have unpublished written stories lying all around my place and on my hard drive. But I fear I am only able to write "way-out-there" fiction. And math certainly isn't fiction.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:49 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,156,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I know I can.

Will it be a GOOD book? Well, that's a different question entirely.
I'll bet that you could write a VERY good book! Your posts are always interesting (and well-written).

I'm currently writing a book. I am a professional writer, and I've written for newspapers and I write two blogs. I'll probably try to publish directly to Kindle, however, since I want to be in control of my writing. I just can't see myself spending years trying to get an agent interested in my book so that it can be submitted to publishers.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:51 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,156,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I teach math at a local university to pay the bills. I do well, so I'm told. In fact, I've been told many times that I should write an algebra textbook in the same style that I teach. Deep down inside, I know this would be helpful to a lot of people because I am somehow able to explain math and algebra to "non-math people" in a way they can understand.

Problem is... I just can't force myself to even start something like that. The irony is that I spend most of my waking hours writing. But I write fiction. I love fiction. I have seven novels published on Amazon and Createspace. I have unpublished written stories lying all around my place and on my hard drive. But I fear I am only able to write "way-out-there" fiction. And math certainly isn't fiction.
I always absolutely HATED algebra (part of the reason that I was an English/Journalism major was so that I could avoid algebra in college, although I still had to take math).

If anyone could ever actually EXPLAIN algebra to me and make me understand why I should care what "x" or "y" is, it would be a miracle.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:19 AM

88,696 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
I'll bet that you could write a VERY good book! Your posts are always interesting (and well-written).

I'm currently writing a book. I am a professional writer, and I've written for newspapers and I write two blogs. I'll probably try to publish directly to Kindle, however, since I want to be in control of my writing. I just can't see myself spending years trying to get an agent interested in my book so that it can be submitted to publishers.
Thanks for the kind words.

People in my writers groups have self-published with positive results. Go for it!!!

And if you ever want to meet with a writers group in Monmouth County...DM me! We do some critique but it's open to those who request critique and those who want to do it. We are mostly a support group--exchange of ideas, goal-setting, etc. Good people.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:14 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,458,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I'd always wanted to write a book...I had written and been published in a couple of anthologies, and written non-fiction, research articles for magazines and essays for newspapers and my e-zine...but a book? It seemed so overwhelming; daunting.

But...with the help of an encouraging, supportive writing group, chapter by chapter, I did write a book. It's now published as an e-book. My book has been well-reviewed and is selling steadily. Falling Through Time: Patricia Comroe Frank: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

What a thrill!

I'm flirting with writing a sequel (as readers have requested), but not sure yet...the first book took almost two years. I felt like Alice when she fell through the Looking Glass. One becomes very engrossed in writing a novel and it was hard, at times, to return to reality...especially when reality often seemed much harsher than the world I created in my book! I wanted to stay in my little world of Happy Camp. I loved the characters I'd created; they'd become my friends. When the elder wise woman, Sophia, dies, I cried. Strange, yes? After all, It was ME who'd killed her off...!

My advice is to find a supportive writing group and maybe you, too will realize your dream...word by word, chapter by chapter. It's a wonderful feeling, having a book with your name as author.
I'm trying to write a novel, but its kind of tough with school, work and other things. Then I have to research the time period and other things so its def not easy. I'm glad your book is doing well and you really should write a sequel. I have found that people really like series and sequels. I do need to find a supportive writing group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing