Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 11:16 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,460,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
I'll bet that you could write a VERY good book! Your posts are always interesting (and well-written).

I'm currently writing a book. I am a professional writer, and I've written for newspapers and I write two blogs. I'll probably try to publish directly to Kindle, however, since I want to be in control of my writing. I just can't see myself spending years trying to get an agent interested in my book so that it can be submitted to publishers.
You can write whatever you want in your book too if you self publish instead of adhering to rules/restrictions of publishers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 12:11 PM

88,863 posts, read 85,308,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
I always absolutely HATED algebra (part of the reason that I was an English/Journalism major was so that I could avoid algebra in college, although I still had to take math).

If anyone could ever actually EXPLAIN algebra to me and make me understand why I should care what "x" or "y" is, it would be a miracle.
ROFL. I am the same way. I don't think that part of my brain works.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:39 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,170,576 times
I'm attempting to write a full length novel now, I've done some short fiction and some articles before but nothing too major. Certainly not enough to buoy me up financially.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
I'm attempting to write a full length novel now, I've done some short fiction and some articles before but nothing too major. Certainly not enough to buoy me up financially.
Same here. Had a couple of articles published, only one of which paid VERY well. Had a couple of short stories published in now-defunct obscure literary magazines that paid me $10 and two copies!

I never really considered writing an entire novel, but then a couple of years ago, an idea that was rolling around in the back of my mind started to gel, and I thought 'why the hell not give it a shot'. So it's very very slowly being written.

Can't quit the day job, though...

Old 11-09-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
I'm trying to write a novel, but its kind of tough with school, work and other things. Then I have to research the time period and other things so its def not easy. I'm glad your book is doing well and you really should write a sequel. I have found that people really like series and sequels. I do need to find a supportive writing group.
I hear that. Mine is a historical novel. I keep realizing I don't know certain things about daily life in that time period that I have to go back and check. It's fun to go back and look.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:29 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,793,173 times
I would love to write a book but do not have the discipline to do it. I wrote a few chapters of a short story years ago and would still like to finish, but I have always had trouble writing at length on demand. For example, in college I might have a 10-page paper due and I'd turn in seven pages. I just wrote till I was done; my teachers didn't mind, and I got good grades. I don't think I have enough words in me to fill a novel.

I've seen plenty of children's books and humourous little gift books that have only a few sentences. I used to belong to a small forum and wrote little conversations between my cats and me* to make my friends laugh. I have no idea how that stuff gets published. If I had to write something funny for a deadline, especially on a regular basis like a columnist does, my mind would go blank. I respect those of you who can sit down and commit to the craft.

* Don't judge me.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:32 AM

7,161 posts, read 12,724,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
You can write whatever you want in your book too if you self publish instead of adhering to rules/restrictions of publishers.
This is exactly so. And you can go print on demand, too for a print version. I spent some time on the agent/publisher chase, but as a first-time novelist, with no track record, it proved daunting to find either. That's why I self-published.

The challenge, I've found, is after you publish. It becomes entirely your job to do the marketing. And with so many books being published as e-books, it's a challenge. There are companies that promise results through their marketing services, but I don't know if they're worthwhile or not.

It all boils down to marketing, sad to say. I succeeded in getting my book reviewed by the book reviewer for the Energy Bulletin as my book has a strong environmental message. This was very cool as the review went out on their wire service. Here's a link to the review, if anyone's interested: Review: Falling Through Time by Patricia Comroe Frank | Energy Bulletin

Old 11-09-2012, 10:27 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,165,587 times
Yes. I used to write many stories when I was younger. I love to write and still plan to do so. Unfortuantely I have been suffering from a major writer's block! It's so frustrating because I have the urge to write but I am not sure what I want to write about.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:34 AM

50,459 posts, read 64,317,889 times
I am half way through a book I've been working on for years. The thing is, I have the beginning and the end, but not enough middle. Now that I know the story, I'm unmotivated to keep working on it.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:52 PM

26,119 posts, read 19,063,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Can't quit the day job, though...
Would it be nice to be able to do that? Keep working towards it. I do. If it never happens, well at least I had fun trying and doing what I most love doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing