Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 08:04 PM

465 posts, read 2,428,089 times

Advertisements

Is there anything you've been through in your life or a topic you're so tremendously passionate about, that you feel you could write a book about it? If so, what topic or experience would that be that others could stand to gain something from? For me, it would my autobiography; and if you knew me, you'd know why. Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 11:43 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,788,997 times
Yep, I've thought about it. In particular I'd like to write my Dad's story (to pay tribute to him) and I think it would give me more closure with his death. So yes I think I will one day but I'm not ready yet.

I'd also like to write my Mom's story, maybe it would help me understand her a little better. And she's got a story!

Old 07-06-2007, 03:48 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,644,854 times
I 'm not sure I have the talent for it but I would love to write a biography of my great Grand-Mother who had quite an amazing life and kids books too as the good ones are just so fantastic. My favourite would be a series of historical crime novels though....

Old 07-06-2007, 11:43 AM

219 posts, read 718,288 times
I'm contemplating one day possibly writing "Evolutionary Biology" and "Neuroscience for Dummies" type books - taking both subjects and presenting them in a way that any average Joe could understand.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:15 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,656,592 times
I think anybody can write a book. The question is if anyone else would want to read it. Thanks for getting me back on course. I am writing a book among other things (embroidery, reading through the Bible, gardening, and trying to keep fit) since I recently retired. I don't want to share anything beyond the fact that it will be about the North Carolina Mountains. I have even chosen the title. I can't seem to keep focused. Being on these threads makes me realize I do have the time and I do enjoy writing. I have decided to make it fiction so I can make it more interesting.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:05 PM

656 posts, read 2,317,131 times
I definitely enjoy writing and could indeed write a book. However, like NC Native, question whether or not people would want to read it. My writing style is very dry and comes from weird angles. After writing a little bit, I have found that I am the only one who enjoys reading it. I've yet to find an effective way to hook a reader. There is no Shelley, Hemingway, or King here.

Ah, to write the Great American Novel... or any bestseller for that matter!

Old 09-06-2007, 09:11 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,944,731 times
I could write my autobiography- let me just dust off these diaries I've been keeping since I was 11. I'm on volume 6 at the moment.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:31 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,893,539 times
Good thread.

I write children's stories & read them to my 4-yr old nephew over the phone. I can't draw so when I see a cute pic I cut it out of a magazine/catalogue & sometimes build a story around it. Sometimes, I print the stories out, gluing the pics into the story. One thing I like to do is print out pics of him & incorporate them into the other pic. I'm not adept with pic programs so do it the old fashioned way. For example, if he's on a bike, he ends up on horseback when I find a horse pic. I don't know that it would be any gift to humanity, but I write them for him, as it's something I would have loved as a kid.

I also have a "darker", more serious side & have written stories, mainly in prose format, regarding NDE's I've had, what lead up to them, what happened during, the aftermath. That's the material I enjoy writing more, as it's a great way to purge inner demons. Okay, that sounded scary. I think those stories would be helpful to others who've experienced the same or are curious about or understanding of others who've been through them.

In the meantime, I'll continue cutting out blue bears & sweet kittens from catalogues.

Fun, fun, fun... VV

Old 09-08-2007, 06:21 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,468,099 times
I've been kicking around writing a book for a few months now. I guess in the past two to three years I have read so many poorly written books that I have literally said to myself "I could do better than this piece of junk." I don't know if I'm just burning myself out in a particular genre or if recent fiction is utter crap. I have now picked up a true artist in James Michener. I tried reading him when I was about 13 but I think it was a little beyond me at the time. I never tried again until I read "Space" a few weeks ago and thought it was fantastic. I'm currently reading "Chesapeake" and find it to be wonderful as well.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:35 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,282,951 times
I just recently wrote a book that is part personal testimony/part grief recovery book for bereaved parents. Six years ago our son was killed in an automobile accident. After that, I kinda wanted to know how other parents dealt with this, how they felt etc. I found that there wasn't a lot out there. There is some (mostly ordered off the internet) but not a lot. Anyway, we found a self-publisher who was reasonable, and my husband formatted it for me. A friend who is a professional artist/photographer very graciously offered to do the cover for me. So it's been about a year in the works but I hope it will help bereaved parents and others suffering a loss of a primary relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing