Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 10:36 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,677,454 times

Advertisements

Why do American women have so much difficulty with some (nice) guys saying the equivalent to voulez-vous coucher avec moi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 07:31 AM

88,546 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've realised they don't use the term 'fortnight', generally use the word 'rude' only in the sense of lacking manners, say 'half hour', 'a couple of times' (instead of half an hour, a couple of times), use plenty of acronyms for everything (SO, DH, PDA), have this phrase to 'call someone out', don't use the word 'cheeky' nearly as much as us.

Have other non-Americans learnt/noticed anything? I'm talking things you've personally noticed, not the well known differences (lorry/truck, hood/bonnett, color/colour, well known regional slang).

Oh and learnt/learned, spoilt/spoiled tends to be an American/British thing.

This is just get the impression I got but Americans tend to say 'will not', 'cannot' alot more than us. I never use the word 'cannot'.

Any Americans noticed anything other 'strange' usages from non-Yanks?

My American friend comments on phrases he hasn't heard/finds strange. Oh another one, he said in American you would say, 'I went to the hospital' instead of 'I went to hospital' a small one but one he picked up on.

Either way, I think it's quite obvious there are far more Britishisms/Aussieisms that Americans are ignorant of than the other way round.
Interesting post! I didn't realize people in the UK wouldn't say "cannot". My friend's husband is a Brit, and he says he is feeling "peckish" when he is hungry. That's not a word usually used in the US. One that I adopted is "everything is tickety-boo" because I like the way it sounds.

"I went to hospital" is something I noticed a long time ago. I think I read the phrase in a book when I was young and thought it was an error.

"Learnt" and "spoilt" and similar forms are still used regionally in the US.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:33 AM

88,546 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Here ya go: Chuffed.
Hmm. I like that one.

I'm going to start using some of these around the Brits at work.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:02 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,012 times
One fairly recent discovery for me was that, in Ireland (or at least in Tralee), what Americans call the "Emergency Room" or "Trauma Center" is called "Casualty."

They do good work in Casualty, btw...

Old 01-22-2011, 12:56 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
In America:

I have heard (and used) 'peckish' for hungry but never 'kip' for a nap.

Americans sort things out but rarely get themselves sorted.

I have heard the past tense pronounced as in 'spilt' or 'dreamt', especially in NY and the northeast in general, but never spelt (spelled) that way (in American publications).

I regularly misspell 'axe', 'flavour', and 'armour' but never 'programme' or 'aluminium'.

A lot of Americans have taken to the British usage of 'brilliant' to mean something other than the glare of the sun or Einstein's mind.

You might hear an American say 'b*llocks' but it still comes off as an affectation. 'Sh*te' works for some people, but not for others. 'Bloody', while not mainstream, is in the American vocabulary.

It is far more acceptable for an American (among Americans) to use Britishisms than it is to affect British pronunciations, even with a decent accent, unless for comedic effect.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:06 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,677,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
One fairly recent discovery for me was that, in Ireland (or at least in Tralee), what Americans call the "Emergency Room" or "Trauma Center" is called "Casualty."

They do good work in Casualty, btw...
Would you mind if we borrow it for use over here? We have a lot of wars on abstractions going on, and it could be more convenient from that point of view.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:02 PM

165 posts, read 530,399 times
"While" not "Whilst"

rental car, not hired car

drugstore, not chemist

American public school = a free of charge, community school, supported by local "property taxes" and used by the majority of people

American private school = a school that charges a tuition fee, for people who think it's better than a "public school". They are often religious-affiliated, but not always, and sometimes require commuting to a more distant neighborhood

In USA a "Billion" means a thousand million. In UK, I think "Million" means a million million. The use of Decimals and commas in numbers, is reversed from their use in UK. "Mr" and Mrs" are spelled with a period.

"Interstate" = a motorway, either in a rural or an urban area, and which crosses State lines (except for the one in Hawaii)

Sometimes "Freeway" or "Expressway" is used to mean a motorway in a city or urban area.

"Turnpike" means a motorway built prior to 1960, financed with State funding rather than US Federal funding, and on which "Toll" payments are collected on every trip. Often they are named after the State they're in, and are also given "Interstate" route numbers. Although to make things confusing, occasionally you will find ordinary, slow suburban avenues named "Pikes" or "Turnpikes" simply because far back in the 1800s they had charged tolls.

Sometimes Americans will use the word "regular" rather than "proper" to mean an actual object, rather than an improvised or makeshift object.
-

Last edited by slowlane2; 01-22-2011 at 05:50 PM..

Old 01-22-2011, 05:41 PM

165 posts, read 530,399 times
"fancy" in America is an adjective, meaning luxurious, showy, ornate, decorated, or costly

"fancy" in UK is a verb (or noun), meaning to personally "Like" something or find it appealing.

"block of flats" in UK = "apartment house" in America

"give it a go" in UK - "give it a shot" or "give it a try" in America

"dear" in UK (in various European languages "caro" or "chere") can either mean costly, or a term of endearment for a loved person. But in America "dear" only has the latter meaning.
Americans would say "expensive" or "Costly" to refer to price.

"Railway" in UK = "Railroad" in US. "Goods" in UK = "Freight" in US.

"Holiday" in UK can mean an overnight trip away from one's home. In America this is called a "vacation"

"Holiday" in America refers to an official comemmorative day, when employees are excused from working. Many people just stay home on designated "holidays"

Sometimes American written and spoken terms differ. For example "pants" (spoken term) but "trousers" (written term). "Bus" (spoken) but "coach" (written) meaning a long-distance excursion vehicle.

Last edited by slowlane2; 01-22-2011 at 06:01 PM..

Old 01-22-2011, 06:23 PM

592 posts, read 1,813,972 times
One thing I think is that LEARNT is really not a word. It's a slang that's developed from the word "learned". And, it grates on me when I hear it!!!

Old 01-22-2011, 06:23 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,650,634 times
I noticed Americans say 'I could care less' when logically they mean 'I couldn't care less', which is what we say. By the way, number/decimal usage in the UK is the same as the US. A million is a thousand thousand, a billion a thousand million etc. In continental Europe they would write eg 5 1/2 as 5,5 instead of 5.5, but not us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing