Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 02:54 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,202,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Crimenently was an expletive in our family. Matter of fact, my granddaughter uses it often. And it didn't need to be "deleted". LOL
"Crimenently" - Urban Dictionary: This expression would be used to express some surprise or frustration when a situation did not turn out the way expected. Usually with negative results.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 03:03 PM

48,113 posts, read 21,994,714 times
many of my grammy's recipes were under the general heading of "Mock" as in Mock Cream...Mock Turkey....Mock Custard....Mock chicken croquets.....I think the mock had to do with making do when you didnt have anything to get started.....so if you didnt have apples you would make a Mock Apple Pie ....using crackers. The concept of Mock meatloaf....might call on beans etc. Mock ingredients could vary but often included lentils or beans and onions.

My mom used to make "puddings" that werent dessert puddings....they were meat or vegetables put in a biscuit like pastry and wrapped in cloth and boiled. I think the type of pudding depended on what she had on hand..the original form probably being hamburg and onion and some left over vegetables.

She also made "puddings" that were a sweet dough with a little fruit or jam inside....tied in a cloth and boiled and served with a sweet flavored sauce...perhaps a lemon sauce.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:45 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,265,553 times
This is fun. I still have a mangle to iron, a modern one. I have a sideboard too and a sleeping porch.

Dad always made sure to have a summer kitchen in which he did his yearly canning. He also had a gun room which was locked and out of bounds. There was a root cellar in the basement and if anyone was gaseous they had the wind. At camp we had no bathroom but an attached outhouse with the half moon on the door. The kids got washed up on the long farm sink in the kitchen. At home our kitchen counters were wooden even though the diningroom had a huge chandelier and orientals. He would say give me a 'shout on the horn' when he wanted you to call him on the phone. Everyones shoes were polished once a week and the place had to be 'squared away' or else. You got 'the look', the one where they secretly threatened to kill you or worse, if you didn't act properly. And table manners training was mandatory.

RicRac was a popular adornment on your hand made apron and you used sprinkler bottles which you filled up with water when you ironed. They sold the the heads with holes in them and a cork bottom so you could push it into whatever bottle you had at home that fit.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:00 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Oh, this sounds like fun! It's so interesting how language, colloquialisms, and expressions evolve over the years!
"valise" - for suit case pr luggage

"keepin' company - for dating as in "When your grandfather was keepin' company" with me he used to take me out for "chinks"

"chinks" - for Chinese food as in " when I was expectin' your father, I always made your grandfather get me chinks."

"Victrola" for stereo system. As in "My that's one big Victrola you have there!"

"Frigidaire" or" ice box" - for refrigerator

the "parlors" - as in beauty or funeral - or the living room.

"galavantin'" often paired with "all hours" " I just came to visit and I don't get to see you much cause you're out galavantin' till all hours!"

"goin' out of style" as in - "they were eating and drinkin' like it was goin' outa style".

"expecting" - for pregnant

"fast" - for a women who they considered be promiscuous.or trashy - or both

"fresh" - rude or disrespectful as in " Don't you be gettin' fresh with me now!"

"stoop" for front steps to a home or apartment building. As in "Did you see those fellas and that girl sitting on the stoop last night 'til all hours? They were makin' noise to beat the band, so I hollered at them and that girl was fresh with me. She looked like she might be expecting - that's what happens when your out all night gallivanting til all hours!"

"Spaniards" - for Hispanic people.

Eyetalian - for Italian

"Holy Roller Church" - a Pentecostal church. "As in some times Nellie invites me to the "Holy Roller Church." "You should see how they "carry on" there!"

"carry on" - cause a fuss, or engage in extreme behavior.

"high fallutin" - as in "You grandfather's family never cared for me - they were high fallutin."

Dungarees - for jeans. As in " Your not wearin' dungarees tonight, are you?"

Old 03-02-2011, 04:05 PM

There are many euphemisms for bowel and bladder function.

Has anyone yet mentioned, "Number One" for bladder and "Number Two" for bowel?

Old 03-02-2011, 04:26 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,947,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
"washing" - noun: laundry. "I have to get the washing done today."

"strop" - verb: to sharpen a straight razor by running it back and forth on a thick, leather strap. My father used a straight razor and would "strop his razor" when it became dull. (And I was administered many a "stropping" with that strap, too!)

"tan your hide" - see "strop".

"tarnation" as in "What in tarnation is that?"
Strop was both a verb and a noun. The actual strap itself was called a strop. It had a loop on the end to hang it from a hook. When I was little, very little, I used to get my hair cut in the barber shop on the corner. When the barber was getting ready to shave a gentleman, he would strop the razor and scare the he!! out me. I was always afraid he'd use the razor to cut my hair! That's also where I first saw "the girl on the cover of the pretty pink Police Gazette". That was a really tame, but risque for the time, version of today's Playboy.

We used to listen to the radio at night - no TV yet - and my Grandmother liked Fred Allen. She used to laugh and call him "a caution".

Old 03-02-2011, 04:33 PM

48,113 posts, read 21,994,714 times
Dad would go out to the garden to "pick a mess of beans"..(green beans or string beans)....I dont think he used the term "mess of" to describe any other vegetables. This was just enough for supper....not harvesting.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Dad would go out to the garden to "pick a mess of beans"..(green beans or string beans)....I dont think he used the term "mess of" to describe any other vegetables. This was just enough for supper....not harvesting.
In the South "mess" is still used to describe a quantity of beans. Every good Southern cook knows what it means to "cook up a mess of beans."

Old 03-02-2011, 04:41 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
"washing" - noun: laundry. "I have to get the washing done today."

"strop" - verb: to sharpen a straight razor by running it back and forth on a thick, leather strap. My father used a straight razor and would "strop his razor" when it became dull. (And I was administered many a "stropping" with that strap, too!)

"tan your hide" - see "strop".

"tarnation" as in "What in tarnation is that?"
Good ones! I remember those. And boy do I remember the strop. My grandfather had a few of them hanging in the bathroom but they were used for other things too. The back of the hairbrush was used the same way.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:12 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,923,099 times
Uppity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing