Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 06:58 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times

Advertisements

Fiddle around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 07:08 PM

575 posts, read 1,371,884 times
Default hair

In_newengland:

I still use bobby pins to put my hair up in a bun.
I guess the word in magazines now is "chignon" but I know of no one who has ever actually said it in conversation.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:13 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Fiddle around
I still fiddle around

Old 03-01-2011, 07:43 PM

575 posts, read 1,371,884 times
Default phone question

Do people still "dial" a telephone? Although I haven't actually used a phone with a dial in decades.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:00 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
people were sometimes referred to as eggs- "he's a good egg," or "he's a bad egg"

Old 03-01-2011, 08:05 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
Do people still "dial" a telephone?
I do. I have two rotary dial phones in the house and use them daily. I love the loud bells, as my hearing is permanently damaged from too many years of loud sirens and no ear protection.

My Grandmother from N. GA (b 1902) called Coke "Dope".

I still use the term I was brought up on: "icebox". I know one other person who does so as well.

My grandparents would tell me to "wash my teeth".

"Curb feelers". Another grandparent thing.

"Foot feed" instead of gas pedal.

Do kids these days "crank" their cars when they initiate the start procedure?

Old 03-01-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
In_newengland:

I still use bobby pins to put my hair up in a bun.
I guess the word in magazines now is "chignon" but I know of no one who has ever actually said it in conversation.
Oh good. I was just wondering. I use the large bobby pins on my electric rollers and I call them bobby pins but I didn't know whether there was a new word for them.

Hair in a bun--I haven't heard that word in such a long time.

Shot-as in it's broken. These stockings are shot.

Shanks mare - (or however you spell it, meant to walk)

Now I Feel like a limp dishrag and I could

Hit you with a wet noodle.

Well, now it's late and I'm------------

All tuckered out! lol Time to hit the hay.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
people were sometimes referred to as eggs- "he's a good egg," or "he's a bad egg"
and he's such a pill.

Remember in the 60s when the worst thing you could be was a fink? or even a rat fink?

Old 03-02-2011, 07:15 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Yes, in_newengland, my Father and his family were from Devonshire.

And gander was kind of slangy like "get a load of" meaning to take a look at something unusual/funny/"hot"(a good-looking man or woman).
And when my son was in sixth grade, he received a "good egg" award. Little trophy with a fake egg mounted on the base. Hadn't thoought of that in years.
And besides being someone who was always tardy, my step-mother called a particular type of lollypop a slow-poke. LOL

Fontucky, had a friend from VA who called coke dope (and he put salted peanuts in the bottle as he drank his "dope".)
I was raised with an icebox, literally a big wooden somewhat insulated box that a man showed up and put a huge block of ice in there. No electricity required. But don't forget to empty the "drip pan" underneath or you'd end up with a flood in the kitchen.
The curb-feelers thing was actually rigid wires installed on the wheels of the "machine" that would make a scraping noise when you were parked close enough to the curb.

My grandmother called my bike "your wheel", as in "ride your wheel to the park".

Old 03-02-2011, 07:22 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
I remember those "curb feelers" they were supposed to help you parallel park and avoid scraping those low slung cars.....the "window scoops" to let fresh air in the car across the windshield also went out with buggy whips, running boards and fluid drive and now the cigarette lighter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing