Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 04:38 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,972,473 times

Advertisements

I am a non-native English speaker, Dutch being my mother tongue. But ever since I received my first English class at the age of 13, I've loved the language.
So I wonder, what is your take on the English language (both from native and non-native points of view)? What comes to mind when you think of English?

For me, it is:

- the vastness of the language. I don't think there are many languages that have a more extensive vocabulary. And since English is the lingua franca in science and technology, new words are created on a daily base.

- the pronunciation. For me, by far the hardest part of English is the correct pronunciation. I know a couple of languages, and none for me is as hard to fluently pronounce as is English.

- the spelling & pronunciation gap: the difference between what you read and what you pronounce.
"Gothi" being the prime example here.

- this is subjective: the sense of "globality" one feels when speaking a language that is spoken in all corners of the world.

Well, I'm curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 06:29 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
I am a non-native English speaker, Dutch being my mother tongue. But ever since I received my first English class at the age of 13, I've loved the language.
So I wonder, what is your take on the English language (both from native and non-native points of view)? What comes to mind when you think of English?

For me, it is:

- the vastness of the language. I don't think there are many languages that have a more extensive vocabulary. And since English is the lingua franca in science and technology, new words are created on a daily base.

- the pronunciation. For me, by far the hardest part of English is the correct pronunciation. I know a couple of languages, and none for me is as hard to fluently pronounce as is English.

- the spelling & pronunciation gap: the difference between what you read and what you pronounce.
"Gothi" being the prime example here.

- this is subjective: the sense of "globality" one feels when speaking a language that is spoken in all corners of the world.

Well, I'm curious
I am a native speaker of American English. At times I don't seem to speak it well--it certainly changes--new words are added frequently--many influences on this language.

If you are Dutch--I rightly or wrongly assume that there is a German influence on the sounds. This is shared with English. I doubt that I could ever learn Dutch, fwiw. German, click-click-click. I managed a bit of French.

???
'Gothi
`Order of Odin' is an epithet which has been made up entirely by magi of the Order of Hermes. The Viking wizards call themselves Gothi (Goe-th-ee). Gothi are priests of the Viking religion, and their magical powers come straight from the Norse gods themselves. All Viking wizards are Gothi, but not all Gothi have the ability to cast spells. They can all open a vey, however. The precise proportion of Gifted / non-Gifted Gothi is up to you, I would suggest about 20% / 80%.'?????

If you are a pragmatist--just listen to the personalities on TV--the news, particularly. CNN--listen to Anderson Cooper and speak as he speaks. Generic--but you will be able to communicate with others in the US.

If you pick others---you take your chances. Regional dialects---we've got plenty and ethnic dialects---there are many.

Anderson Cooper--generic US English.

I am still scratching my head from the coverage of the Royal Wedding. A US journalist mangled the pronunciation of the word mall----maaaaw--no one has any explanation. The 'l' sound is truly not that difficult--they all appeared to be native speakers of American English. Who knows.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:50 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
We English speakers freely borrow from other languages, and incorporate those words into our language without batting an eyelash. Sometimes we mangle the pronunciation, yes.

And then add in the thousands of words from previous centuries that are no longer in everyday use ... Well, it makes your head spin!

Old 05-16-2011, 09:45 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
Dutch---I thought there was a huge dispute about the language of the people of the Netherlands. 'Flemish'---it seems like I heard it was uncivilized to fail to know the difference.

'Dutch is closely related to English and German[n 5] and is said to be between both.[n 6] Apart from not having undergone the High German consonant shift, Dutch—as English—also differs from German by the overall abandonment of the grammatical case system, the relative rarity of the Germanic umlaut, and a more regular morphology.[n 7] Dutch has effectively two grammatical genders, but this distinction has far fewer grammatical consequences than in German.[n 8] Dutch shares with German the use of subject-verb-object word order in main clauses and subject-object-verb in subordinate clauses.[n 9] Dutch vocabulary is mostly Germanic and contains the same Germanic core as English, while incorporating more Romance loans than German.[n 10'

Flemish>>>

http://www.firetree.net/calvino/Dutc...emish_why.html

Old 05-16-2011, 04:21 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,026,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
???
'Gothi
`Order of Odin' is an epithet which has been made up entirely by magi of the Order of Hermes. The Viking wizards call themselves Gothi (Goe-th-ee). Gothi are priests of the Viking religion, and their magical powers come straight from the Norse gods themselves. All Viking wizards are Gothi, but not all Gothi have the ability to cast spells. They can all open a vey, however. The precise proportion of Gifted / non-Gifted Gothi is up to you, I would suggest about 20% / 80%.'?????
I think the OP merely misspelled the well known word "ghoti" -

"gh" as in rough or tough
"o" as in women
"ti" as in action or motion

in other words, "ghoti" is pronounced "fish".

Old 05-17-2011, 03:36 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,972,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
I think the OP merely misspelled the well known word "ghoti" -

"gh" as in rough or tough
"o" as in women
"ti" as in action or motion

in other words, "ghoti" is pronounced "fish".
Hello Rob, no I put the word "ghoti" there on purpose, as indeed it can be pronounced like "fish".
It's a classic linguistic example of the aforementioned spelling & pronunciation gap in the English language.

@TakeAhike: most people here in Flanders call their native tongue Dutch. Flemish is a local variant (or better, a bunch of local variaties). The pronunciation is different, vocabulary is slightly different, but for the rest Flemish = Dutch

Old 05-18-2011, 12:20 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Ghoti can not be pronounced 'fish'. It is a clever bit of linguistic wit, but ultimately is agains the rules of English pronunciation which are actually quite sound. They only seem complicated because they usually follow a set of rules defined by the linguistic origin of the word (Germanic words follow Germanic pronunciation rules, Norman-French words follow Norman-French rules, Latin words follow Latin rules, etc.)

for example, 'ti' can only be pronounced 'sh' if followed by 'on' or 'ous' when forming the 'tion' and 'tious' suffixes in words of Latin origin. Likewise, the 'gh' can not be found in the initial phoneme of a word as pertains to the pronunciation of English words canonically containing 'gh'.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:26 PM

88,596 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Dutch is currently the language on the planet closest to English. Read that somewhere--I think it was John McWhorter's Power of Babel.

A good book for those interested in the English language is The Story of English.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:53 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,211,393 times
I have reflected many times on the complexity of English and how difficult it must be for an adult immigrant to learn it. I also marvel at the ease with which some non-English speakers learn it and how fluent they become with it. During my working years (I was a nurse) I came into contact with many foreign born nurses. Mostly they told me they had more trouble with the slang words and terms than anything else.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:58 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
One beautiful thing about English is that it is actually two vocabularies functioning with a unified syntax, that can be interchanged within a single sentence. We have words that come from the Germanic roots, that are used informally, and words from Latin roots, which are used in a more formal environment.

For example: "I took off my clothes", compared with "I removed my garments". Few languages give the speaker the option to sound either formal or informal, while still expressing the same facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing