Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:46 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,292,493 times

Advertisements

Since the 6th grade I have been taught that two spaces, rather than one, is appropriate after a sentence. The reasoning is that two spaces between sentences makes a paragraph easier to read.

I recently started a new job and my boss told me that placing two spaces after a sentence is inappropriate and made me revise a several page memorandum accordingly. Since that time, I have re-taught myself to only use one space after a sentence.

However, his boss, for whom I also do projects, prefers two spaces between sentences. So now, I have had to go back and forth with this rule.

What in fact is the appropriate method regarding the spacing of sentences?

Also, I apologize if this topic has been addressed but a thread title search regarding this subject did not render any relevant results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 06:15 PM

235 posts, read 839,161 times
I was always told one space after any punctuation, except for at the end of the sentence, when it's two spaces. I was told that all through university. I'd suggest going along with whatever your boss suggests, though.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:45 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,562,362 times
One space is fine. Two spaces are not necessary, unless you're writing on an old-fashioned typewriter.

The use of two spaces after a sentence originated due to the use of typewriters. Typewriters used monospaced type, which gave an equal amount of space to each letter. Thus, a "w" and an "i" would be given the same horizontal width, creating an uneven spacing of letters, which was hard to read. To improve readability, the use of two spaces to separate sentences was adopted.

Modern computer typefaces have proportional settings, and, thus, excellent readability. Therefore, there is no longer a need for two spaces after sentences.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:40 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,058,692 times
Marie is on point with the historical aspect of the two-space rule and the generally accepted rule today; one space after a sentence. However, if you are preparing manuscripts or other documents that will be sent out to a specific field of people, such as psychologists or media, it is best to consult the style guide for that field.

In your particular situation, does your company have an in-house style guide that defines appropriate form and layout of documents? If so, that should be your guide. If not, does the company have editors who review documents prior to the document being published? If yes, they should be able to provide you with the style guide they use. If not, then, unfortunately, it may be a case where you need to vacillate between the expectations of the "two bosses."

Old 07-16-2011, 10:55 AM

89,043 posts, read 85,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
Marie is on point with the historical aspect of the two-space rule and the generally accepted rule today; one space after a sentence. However, if you are preparing manuscripts or other documents that will be sent out to a specific field of people, such as psychologists or media, it is best to consult the style guide for that field.

In your particular situation, does your company have an in-house style guide that defines appropriate form and layout of documents? If so, that should be your guide. If not, does the company have editors who review documents prior to the document being published? If yes, they should be able to provide you with the style guide they use. If not, then, unfortunately, it may be a case where you need to vacillate between the expectations of the "two bosses."
This is a great answer.

I am a traditional two-spaces-after-the-period person myself, and I am not going to change that, unless someone is paying me to do otherwise.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:40 AM
bjh

60,378 posts, read 30,584,177 times
I agree about the the typewriter use being a factor vs PCs, but this is one of those, "does it really matter issues? "

If you're typesetting a book, yes. For almost everything else, certainly for private works, absolutely not.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:21 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,851,480 times
Quote:
Although how many spaces you use is ultimately a style choice, using one space is by far the most widely accepted and logical style. The Chicago Manual of Style (1), the AP Stylebook (2), and the Modern Language Association (3) all recommend using one space after a period at the end of a sentence.

How Many Spaces After A Period? : Grammar Girl :: Quick and Dirty Tips â„¢

Old 07-21-2011, 07:01 AM

89,043 posts, read 85,637,996 times
For those of us of a certain age who learned to type pre-computer, it's automatic to do two spaces after a period. I'll have to stop and think in the middle of typing to change that now.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:39 PM

44,436 posts, read 20,210,619 times
I changed to one space when PCs and word processing came along. This sentence is preceded by one space, and the line does not look crowded.

Two spaces would look like this: ". . . along. This sentence . . ." It looks like a little too much space to me.

By the way: in most word processing, you can change your default setting to auto-correct for one space or two between sentences; your choice.

EDIT: Ha ha - After I clicked to submit this post, I noticed that it deleted the second space I put between the sentences in my example. Apparently, City-Data has the default set at one space between sentences. In fact, I just now tried it again with the sentences in this Edit paragraph, and it defaults to one space.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:59 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,330,156 times
In standard keyboard typing, the rule is absolute. Two spaces after the end of a sentence. If you don't do it that way, you fail high school typing and have to take it over. Remember that typewriters had uniform-width fonts, and the width of WWWWW and a lllll both filled the same amount of space on the paper.

Let's check the default. One space
Let's check the default. Two spaces.
Let's check the default. Three spaces.
Let's check the default. Twenty spaces.

I passed high school typing, on manual typewriters (not even electric) with blank keys. So I just automatically double-space.
So I guess it doesn't matter. However, if you click the "quote" button in the lower right of this message, you will see it displayed in the original with my spaces intact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing