Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 04:10 PM

7,148 posts, read 12,690,725 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if there are any other ebook authors out there? I published mine on Amazon's Kindle store last month and it was a great experience. Now the challenge is letting the world know about the book.

Does anyone have insights to share? My book (Falling Through Time) has been reviewed five times and has a top five star review status..which is great. What's not so great are the the sales figure.

Guess that's the challenge of self-publishing--you get to do all the marketing.

Love to hear your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 05:54 PM

88,665 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I'm curious if there are any other ebook authors out there? I published mine on Amazon's Kindle store last month and it was a great experience. Now the challenge is letting the world know about the book.

Does anyone have insights to share? My book (Falling Through Time) has been reviewed five times and has a top five star review status..which is great. What's not so great are the the sales figure.

Guess that's the challenge of self-publishing--you get to do all the marketing.

Love to hear your thoughts.
I haven't myself, but a couple of people in my writers' group have. One guy is doing pretty well. He originally had his book up for $9.99. Then he dropped it to $2.99, and the sales picked up. I think he's selling it for 99 cents now.

He did do a lot of marketing--he even recently went to London and Edinburgh and did some appearances at bookstores there and got a lot of interest.

Interestingly, he was first offered a contract by a standard publishing house, and he turned it down. The percentage was too small, and whatever they didn't sell, you have to buy back.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:37 PM

7,148 posts, read 12,690,725 times
Thanks, MightyQueen, that's great your writing friend is doing well with his sales. I guess you'd have to sell a lot, though, if you price your book at $.99 and only get a 30% royalty, $.33/book. At $9.99, he would have made a 70% royalty or close to $7.00. I wonder if his volume is making up the difference in reduced royalty?

Old 11-21-2011, 05:36 PM

88,665 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Thanks, MightyQueen, that's great your writing friend is doing well with his sales. I guess you'd have to sell a lot, though, if you price your book at $.99 and only get a 30% royalty, $.33/book. At $9.99, he would have made a 70% royalty or close to $7.00. I wonder if his volume is making up the difference in reduced royalty?
That's exactly what happened.

Another woman in the group, who self-published but is still trying to get her book into a traditional publishing house, also lowered her price to $2.99 and sold a few more copies.

Hey, I see your location listed as Mid-Atlantic East Coast. Our group is in Red Bank, NJ. Join us if you're anywhere nearby! : )
Actually, I found the writers' group through Meetup.com.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:12 PM

3 posts, read 2,351 times
Default Hi, I'm new here but....

I am a self publisher and I usually make around $2000. a month on sales from ebooks I know I could do better if I would put a little more effort into it. Also you can do a google search for create space that is the branch of Amazon that will print publish and sell your book for you in hardback or paperback and the cool thing is it is publish on demand!

NO Overstock, but you are limited to selling through amazon or your own website but Amazon did do 10 Billion in sales last year crushing all other types of retailers online and offline

Hope this helps, if you want too know more PM me i'll try to help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing