Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 01:03 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,473,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
IMO, certain grammar mistakes are lenient.

My biggest grammar pet peeve is the excessive use of ''ain't'', and when it is used as an alternative for all contractions and as a contraction to support another negative. Examples: I ain't got no car,- Double negative; We ain't stupid.- incorrect

Without the contraction:

I am not got no car.

We am not stupid.

You can see how both sentences sound flat out wrong.
"Ain't" is a colloquialism and contraction for "am not", "is not", "are not", "has not", and "have not" depending on the tense and context of the sentence. Therefore, using your example "We ain't stupid" would be correct. As in "We are not stupid," not "We am not stupid."

You are correct, however, in that the first example you provided is indeed a double negative - "I have not got no car."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 01:05 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
OMG! You ended that sentence with an adverb and did not include a comma after "personality."

The world, as we know it, is about to end!
LOL. We have editors at work here today. LOL.

All I can say is, take a chill pill!

Old 01-06-2012, 01:23 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,812,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Where exactly did that word come from. It means probably, right? I've never heard anyone say it but I do read it on the internet a lot.
Yes, it's "Internet" for probably. I use it often.
Also, mebbie for maybe and maroon for moron.
They ain't errors if they're on porpoise.

Me, I hates me some apostrophe abuse.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:31 PM

18,409 posts, read 19,047,428 times
I must drive a lot of you nuts I rarely capitalize in a post

Old 01-06-2012, 01:54 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,554,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
So ignorance/stupidity does not matter?

As a nation, and as an individual, the ability to express oneself in writing is important. Many time inability to express oneself in writing contributes to poverty, hunger, and the "other things" you referenced.

Try qualifying for a meaningful job with a good salary without being able to communicate in some form of the written language.

Indeed! Try turning in a report that requires lengthy descriptions of events and procedures. You won't be there long, if you cannot communicate in writing!

Old 01-06-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Making grammatical errors does not amount to stupidity. Did you even read the rest of my post?

And yep, that's about the extent of usefulness for having perfect grammar. I admit, when you're applying for a job or writing a school paper, it does help, because people do judge you by it. But the only reason it helps in those situations is because people are judging your intelligence based on something that really has nothing to do with your intelligence. In other words, you have to play the game to beat it.

Again, though, if people realized that grammatical rules are arbitrary and learned, they would realize it has nothing to do with someone's innate cognitive ability.

So how the heck do you think you're gonna get through the door!?? You might be intelligent! But if you can't show them your smarts in written form, you will be a genius washing dishes.

This is important....whether you think so or not! Whether you think it's fair or not.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:01 PM

78,523 posts, read 60,718,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Why has our language become so dumb-downed?

One of many things that bug me is the misuse of the "possessive pronoun"
YOUR.

As in: "Your a cool guy" or "Your an important person".

Do they not teach english in school anyomore?

Do people know what a contraction is?

It should say: "You're a cool guy" .....short form of "You are a cool guy". "Your" is only used to show ownership: "Is that your car?"

I actually saw a billboard ad with the "your" used the wrong way!! A BILLBOARD!! This means that either someone didn't catch it or they don't know any better! If it's the latter, that's scary! Because more than likely, that is a college educated person!

Where are we going???
I'm having a contraction right now.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
"Ain't" is a colloquialism and contraction for "am not", "is not", "are not", "has not", and "have not" depending on the tense and context of the sentence. Therefore, using your example "We ain't stupid" would be correct. As in "We are not stupid," not "We am not stupid."

You are correct, however, in that the first example you provided is indeed a double negative - "I have not got no car."

No sir. You are reeeeeally stretching a point.

Ain't is indeed a colloquialism and contraction for "am not".

But not for "is not"". "Isn't" is the proper word for that.

That would translate to "We is not stupid," or "We has not stupid,"

Old 01-06-2012, 02:08 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,675,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Why has our language become so dumb-downed?

One of many things that bug me is the misuse of the "possessive pronoun"
YOUR.

As in: "Your a cool guy" or "Your an important person".

Do they not teach english in school anyomore?

Do people know what a contraction is?

It should say: "You're a cool guy" .....short form of "You are a cool guy". "Your" is only used to show ownership: "Is that your car?"

I actually saw a billboard ad with the "your" used the wrong way!! A BILLBOARD!! This means that either someone didn't catch it or they don't know any better! If it's the latter, that's scary! Because more than likely, that is a college educated person!

Where are we going???
You picked a helluva place to ask this question...............

Old 01-06-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathguy View Post
i'm having a contraction right now.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing