Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 10:57 AM

25,702 posts, read 18,777,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I never use "whom", and do not expect it of others.
Shucks, I don't even know what a "subjunctive mood" is. It sounds vaguely obscene.

Examples:

Typical usage I hear all the time: If I was you, I would go to the store early.

Using subjunctive: If I were you, I would go to the store early.

(to be fair, there are still many people who use the subjunctive in this situation. This is the usage of subjunctive most people are aware of, at least, even if they don't use it correctly and/or know what it is called)

Typical usage: My boss insists that I am here at five each morning.

Using subjunctive: My boss insists that I be here at five each morning.

Typical usage: It's not as if I'm wealthy.

Using subjunctive: It's not as if I were wealthy.

Typical usage: It is essential that he's present during the ceremony.

Using subjunctive: It is essential that he be present during the ceremony.

Typical usage: If only I can become president.

Using Subjunctive: If only I could become president. (modal form used in subjunctive construction)

---Sample verb forms---- (subjunctive is actually easy in form as it is typically the "base" or non-conjugated form)

Indicative:
he hopes
he thinks

Subjunctive:
he hope
he think

Indicative:
I am
you are
he is
we are
you are
they are

Subjunctive:
I be
you be
he be
we be
you be
they be

Personally, I don't always use the subjunctive properly when speaking (I sometimes get it right, sometimes not). But when writing, I insist that I be () as accurate as is possible--although, even at that, sometimes I score and sometimes I don't. Having studied several languages and linguistics, I am however, pretty much always aware of the subjunctive construction/mood and how it works. In languages like Spanish or French, it is critical and widely used by all speakers. In some languages like Norwegian, it is nearly non-existent (and basically is non-existent in usage). In English, we can get away with "lazying ourselves around it" without too much of a consequence, even though it is still in the grammar references and used properly to an extent by some speakers.

Before anyone asks: YES, I do love discussing languages, language usage, and grammar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 04:04 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Examples:

Typical usage I hear all the time: If I was you, I would go to the store early.

Using subjunctive: If I were you, I would go to the store early.

(to be fair, there are still many people who use the subjunctive in this situation. This is the usage of subjunctive most people are aware of, at least, even if they don't use it correctly and/or know what it is called)

Typical usage: My boss insists that I am here at five each morning.

Using subjunctive: My boss insists that I be here at five each morning.

Typical usage: It's not as if I'm wealthy.

Using subjunctive: It's not as if I were wealthy.

Typical usage: It is essential that he's present during the ceremony.

Using subjunctive: It is essential that he be present during the ceremony.

Typical usage: If only I can become president.

Using Subjunctive: If only I could become president. (modal form used in subjunctive construction)

---Sample verb forms---- (subjunctive is actually easy in form as it is typically the "base" or non-conjugated form)

Indicative:
he hopes
he thinks

Subjunctive:
he hope
he think

Indicative:
I am
you are
he is
we are
you are
they are

Subjunctive:
I be
you be
he be
we be
you be
they be

Personally, I don't always use the subjunctive properly when speaking (I sometimes get it right, sometimes not). But when writing, I insist that I be () as accurate as is possible--although, even at that, sometimes I score and sometimes I don't. Having studied several languages and linguistics, I am however, pretty much always aware of the subjunctive construction/mood and how it works. In languages like Spanish or French, it is critical and widely used by all speakers. In some languages like Norwegian, it is nearly non-existent (and basically is non-existent in usage). In English, we can get away with "lazying ourselves around it" without too much of a consequence, even though it is still in the grammar references and used properly to an extent by some speakers.

Before anyone asks: YES, I do love discussing languages, language usage, and grammar.

Well, OK, but at almost 77 years of age (2 more days), that is a great deal more than I want to know or even care about, or will remember. But, thanks for the lesson, useless as it may be.

Old 12-01-2018, 05:57 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,682 times
Quote:
I never use "whom", and do not expect it of others.
Shucks, I don't even know what a "subjunctive mood" is. It sounds vaguely obscene.
I agree that it isn't the prettiest sounding term, but it's kind of like a conditional that won't happen or hasn't happened.

For example:

If I were a baseball player, I wouldn't get that many strikes.

If she were a good language teacher, she would have more students.

What's odd is sometimes it sounds perfectly fine to use the subjunctive tense as if it is conditional...

Old 12-01-2018, 06:24 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Who is singular. Whom is plural. Substitute them worm "them" or "they".

Give it to whomever wants it.
If THEY want it, give it to them.

To whom it may concern
This is to everybody (i.e. "them")

It does not matter to whom it is given...
Give it to somebody (in the group, one of THEM).

Versus...

Who did this?
Which one is responsible?

We will punish whoever did this.
One person is guilty!

A subtle difference but an important one.
No, whom is not necessarily plural.

To whom did you send the letter?
I sent it to Mr. John Doe.

Who - Whom

"The pronouns who and whoever are in the subjective case, and whom and whomever are in the objective case. Within each case, the pronouns do not change form for singular or plural, and they do not change form for first, second, or third person."

By the way, using the hints in that link, your first example:

should be

Give it to whoever wants it.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Well, OK, but at almost 77 years of age (2 more days), that is a great deal more than I want to know or even care about, or will remember. But, thanks for the lesson, useless as it may be.
It wasn't meant to be a lesson for you specifically. This is a public forum. You brought it up and there are lots of people who still have a bit of curiosity on such matters. I know I do--especially concerning languages. It was meant to shed some light on what the subjunctive mood is for those who might be interested in knowing. I've seen the comment many times on different forums, "I don't know what the subjunctive is." It generally turns out that they don't know it by name, but actually do use it in their speech, at least to an extent.

I can't say I agree with that last comment about being useless. Understanding a language is never useless.

I'm getting up in years as well, and I'm still learning English after all these years. Honestly, that's what makes it fun. When I know everything about a given topic, that's when the topic becomes boring. Luckily, there is very little about which I know everything. (or is that, "...very little I know everything about"???)

Last edited by ChrisC; 12-02-2018 at 09:26 AM..

Old 12-02-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No, whom is not necessarily plural.

To whom did you send the letter?
I sent it to Mr. John Doe.

Who - Whom

"The pronouns who and whoever are in the subjective case, and whom and whomever are in the objective case. Within each case, the pronouns do not change form for singular or plural, and they do not change form for first, second, or third person."

By the way, using the hints in that link, your first example:

should be

Give it to whoever wants it.
That's a very useful link--and great way to check usage of who/whom, etc. There are times where it is very easy to flub that up--at least for me. Much of the time I default to the "safe mode"... if in doubt, use "who."

Last edited by ChrisC; 12-02-2018 at 09:54 AM..

Old 12-03-2018, 10:08 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Who is singular. Whom is plural. Substitute them worm "them" or "they".

If THEY want it, give it to them.

To whom it may concern
This is to everybody (i.e. "them")

It does not matter to whom it is given...
Give it to somebody (in the group, one of THEM).

Versus...

Who did this?
Which one is responsible?

We will punish whoever did this.
One person is guilty!

A subtle difference but an important one.
No, that's incorrect, but pretty original. First time I've seen that take on it!

Who is the usage for He She They

Whom is the usage for Him Her Them.

So, in order to check if you're using the the right one, rearrange the sentence.

I gave the papers to her. ("To whom did you give the papers?", not "to WHO did you give the papers?")

They took the papers. ("Who took the papers?" not "WHOM took the papers?)

That old secretarial school* education paid off.

*I can explain that to those not old enough to know what "secretarial school" was, hehehe.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:30 PM

6,853 posts, read 4,850,706 times
My vote is to keep whom around. Nothing wrong with being old school.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:20 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
I love this article about the use of who vs whom.

I stepped down from the copy department of The New Yorker almost two years ago, hanging up my parentheses and turning over the comma shaker to my successor, who I know will use it judiciously, but I still love the magazine and lose sleep when an oversight (as we prefer to call it) sneaks into its pages. Copy editors never get credit for the sentences we get right, but confuse “who” and “whom” and you are sure to be the center of attention, at least briefly. If you thought the “who” in the previous sentence should have been a “whom,” you are not alone. Let’s review.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...R_pGtuSRjg6_oY

Old 08-10-2021, 09:04 AM

5,706 posts, read 4,278,576 times
I've never been a big fan of whom. There are places where it sounds OK but many more places where it just gets in the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing