Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 02:06 PM

558 posts, read 1,121,366 times

Advertisements

I'm curious. I'm an amateur screenwriter that is always noticing trends, and usually turned off by most of them. Lately I'm hearing a lot of people (many younger) pronouncing things different. I need to know if I have been saying the words wrong for 37 years, or what's going on.
Here is a couple, and please add some of your own if any come to mind. If I'm wrong in how I pronounce it please tell me.

Refinancing- I say it as it's spelled
REFA-NANCING- How I hear it in commercials lately.

Didn't- Hard to type how I say it but there's a bit of nasal use.
DID-DENT- How most young people are now saying it.
Same with Wouldn't, Couldn't, Shouldn't.

Louisville- Louieville is how I say it.
LOW-VOL- How millions say it, but I have no clue HOW they got it that far off.

So clear me up on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 04:15 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post

Local people in Louisville pronounce it LOO-a-vull (rhymes with "dutiful"), and have browbeaten outsiders to say it that way, the way people do in OAR-i-gun and NAW-lins. It's NASH-vull, too. It hasn't happened yet in CHAWLZ-ton and ma-WAWK-y.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:52 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Are you talking about a glottal stop, like in "oh no she di'int"? I can't think of any other way to say it than "did-dent"

Quote:

So clear me up on this.
As mentioned above, saying "Lewieville" is a sure sign you're from out of town in Louisville.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Are you talking about a glottal stop, like in "oh no she di'int"? I can't think of any other way to say it than "did-dent"

The difference is whether you take the tip of your tongue away from your teeth between the D and the N.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:12 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
I've always seemed to find that people who say did-int, could-int, etc., also say axe for ask.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:11 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I've always seemed to find that people who say did-int, could-int, etc., also say axe for ask.
Huh? I'm not sure I understand. I wouldn't know how to pronounce the word without -int on the end. Unless I'm mispronouncing what you're trying to type I have no clue what you're talking about. I sure as hell don't say axe.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:51 AM

558 posts, read 1,121,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Huh? I'm not sure I understand. I wouldn't know how to pronounce the word without -int on the end. Unless I'm mispronouncing what you're trying to type I have no clue what you're talking about. I sure as hell don't say axe.
Because Didn't has no "i" between the d and n. So when pronounced the n't is run together rather than adding the "i".

Old 01-25-2014, 07:49 AM

19,134 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
I'm an amateur screenwriter that is always noticing trends, and usually turned off by most of them. Lately I'm hearing a lot of people (many younger) pronouncing things different.
Expecting to hear correct pronunciations from the younger set is only slightly less silly than expecting a dog to display good hygiene practices.

And, for the sake of your writing, please make yourself more familiar with proper use of adverbs. Instead of "different", you should have used the word "differently".

Old 01-25-2014, 08:23 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,166,280 times
Quote:
I'm curious. I'm an amateur screenwriter that is always noticing trends, and usually turned off by most of them. Lately I'm hearing a lot of people (many younger) pronouncing things different. I need to know if I have been saying the words wrong for 37 years, or what's going on.
Here is a couple, and please add some of your own if any come to mind. If I'm wrong in how I pronounce it please tell me.

Refinancing- I say it as it's spelled
REFA-NANCING- How I hear it in commercials lately.

So clear me up on this.
Language isn't static - go read Chaucer or Shakespeare or any of the classics. Nor is pronunciation. There are almost too many cultural and regional differences to count. As an aspiring screenwriter, I think you'd need to be aware of those to be authentic, no?

And bonus, I now know how to pronounce Louisville like a native.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:25 AM

88,613 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Thanks, I don't get this either. I say DID-int. I also sure as hell don't say "axe", lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing