Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2017, 07:04 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,373,837 times

Advertisements

I was on abebooks looking at different copies of hunter thompdon’s Book hell’s Angels. It was originally published by random House in 1967 but at least as soon as 1972 it was coming out with differentbcovers and under other publisher names. Later versions look like mom and pop publishers I’ve never heard of.

Can anyone explain how this works? The publisher owns the book right—-they pay the advance and maybe royalties so it is their property. And the domain law is 100 years or something for books? After the initial few runs do they start licensing it to other publishers?

Last edited by madison999; 12-06-2017 at 08:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 02:48 PM

10,909 posts, read 7,410,954 times
The publisher doesn't buy all rights, the author usually retains copyright.
Publishers may buy rights to publish first, or in a specific country, or for a specified length of time.

Further, the publisher may sell their rights to another.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:27 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,389,875 times
It sounds to me that the copy rights on the book expired and none of ,Thompson's survivors renewed them.

So that book went into public domain, and any publisher can now print an edition.

Back in 1967 when the book was first published, the copy right laws were different then. An author was given copy rights for 25 years, and that was it. After 25 years, the book went into public domain. (Along with motion pictures, songs, plays, musicals, and other intellectual properties that didn't include inventions. Inventions went to the patent office, where different laws applied.)

That changed in the early 1990s when Mickey Mouse's copy rights were about to expire and Mickey would go into public domain. lThe Disney Corporation could never allow that to happen, so they got the copy right laws radically changed and extended in the time limits.

Thompson was still alive then, but must have neglected to use the law to protect his older works. He could have used the law, but Hunter S. Thompson could have used a lot of things he didn't use. He liked to do things his way.

That included shooting one of his wives wife once. So not renewing a copy right comes as no big surprise to me.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:45 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,845,174 times
How prevalent it is for traditional publishers to later re-publish a book that was initially self-published?

Old 12-06-2017, 06:46 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,486,449 times
Publishers often sell publishing rights. Often, the hardcover publisher will sell paperback rights. Rights to a book club edition might be sold. Foreign rights are typically sold. And so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It sounds to me that the copy rights on the book expired and none of ,Thompson's survivors renewed them.

So that book went into public domain, and any publisher can now print an edition.

Back in 1967 when the book was first published, the copy right laws were different then. An author was given copy rights for 25 years, and that was it. After 25 years, the book went into public domain. (Along with motion pictures, songs, plays, musicals, and other intellectual properties that didn't include inventions. Inventions went to the patent office, where different laws applied.)

That changed in the early 1990s when Mickey Mouse's copy rights were about to expire and Mickey would go into public domain. lThe Disney Corporation could never allow that to happen, so they got the copy right laws radically changed and extended in the time limits.

Thompson was still alive then, but must have neglected to use the law to protect his older works. He could have used the law, but Hunter S. Thompson could have used a lot of things he didn't use. He liked to do things his way.

That included shooting one of his wives wife once. So not renewing a copy right comes as no big surprise to me.
Actually, when Hell's Angels was published the term of copyright was 28 years, per the Copyright Act of 1909. This was renewable for a second 28-year-term. However, the Copyright Act of 1976 changed the copyright landscape, effective January 1, 1978. The length of the renewal term was changed to 47 years for those works copyrighted before that date. The Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998 extended this renewal term to 67 years. These extensions were retroactive to extensions on works that were then in place. This is why The Catcher in the Rye, published in 1951, won't fall into the public domain until 2046 (a 28-year initial copyright, which Salinger renewed for another 47 years before it expired in 1979, which Congress then changed to 67 years. Furthermore, in 1992 Congress made renewal automatic - copyright holders no longer had to register it. Since this was before the initial 28-year copyright term for Hell's Angels expired, Thompson needed to take no action.

The copyright on Hell's Angels won't expire until 2061. Of course, if Congress extends copyrights again it might not expire even then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
How prevalent it is for traditional publishers to later re-publish a book that was initially self-published?
It is not prevalent. In fact, self-publishing a work makes it very unlikely you'll ever find a traditional agent or publisher for it. The only exception to this, and it is an extremely rare one, is when a self-published work actually sells well into the five figures.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:36 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Publishers often sell publishing rights. Often, the hardcover publisher will sell paperback rights. Rights to a book club edition might be sold. Foreign rights are typically sold. And so forth.

Actually, when Hell's Angels was published the term of copyright was 28 years, per the Copyright Act of 1909. This was renewable for a second 28-year-term. However, the Copyright Act of 1976 changed the copyright landscape, effective January 1, 1978. The length of the renewal term was changed to 47 years for those works copyrighted before that date. The Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998 extended this renewal term to 67 years. These extensions were retroactive to extensions on works that were then in place. This is why The Catcher in the Rye, published in 1951, won't fall into the public domain until 2046 (a 28-year initial copyright, which Salinger renewed for another 47 years before it expired in 1979, which Congress then changed to 67 years. Furthermore, in 1992 Congress made renewal automatic - copyright holders no longer had to register it. Since this was before the initial 28-year copyright term for Hell's Angels expired, Thompson needed to take no action.

The copyright on Hell's Angels won't expire until 2061. Of course, if Congress extends copyrights again it might not expire even then!

It is not prevalent. In fact, self-publishing a work makes it very unlikely you'll ever find a traditional agent or publisher for it. The only exception to this, and it is an extremely rare one, is when a self-published work actually sells well into the five figures.
Just want to echo the bolded. Self-pubbing is great for recipe books, poetry, family histories and niche markets with a built-in audience (therapists/hucksters/entrepreneurs) and anyone who simply wants a bound copy of their story.

But if a writer is serious about their craft and believes their work has appeal to a reasonably widespread demographic, they should exhaust all possibilities of traditional publication before going the selfie route.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:48 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,389,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post

Thanks for correcting my post. It's been a long time, and I forgot some of the important details.

But I'm not sure the new law automatically renewed and re-set all the copyrights' time limits. To my knowledge, renewal was easy to obtain, but had to be requested.

But, for sure, any major publishing house with a book by an author as popular as Hunter Thompson would have requested renewal, I'm sure, if there was any way they could do it.

With so much that's changing in the publication business these days, it could be likely that selling the rights to one of Thompson's lesser- prized works was an easy little cash cow, especially if there were no plans at all to publish a new edition.

Selling the rights to a new edition of an old book is something I don't know much about, so if I'm wrong on any/all this stuff, I don't mind being corrected.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:52 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,725 times
It is very, very rare for a publisher to own a book's copyright.

Copyright and publication rights are two very different things.

When I sell a story to a publisher, they buy particular rights -- usually first publication rights. That means they can publish it first. The contract usually has an end date when they no longer have access to those rights. They're renting the book, so to speak.

I still retain reprint rights, film rights, foreign language rights, etc. And when the time period specified in the contract is up, I can resell publication rights again.

It really has nothing to do with copyright. That stays with the creator unless it is a ghostwriting situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing