Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 11:18 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,878,931 times

Advertisements

Here's something I've been wondering about. Is there any tangible differences between meanings in the words "everybody" and "everyone"? It seems like most people use them on an ad-hoc basis, whatever sounds good at the moment. But some use their own criteria to distinguish them, if there is no "official" criteria in place. Since these two words exist, there's gotta be some difference between them, even if it was lost over history, like the "shall" vs. "will" distinction. I'm interested specifically in US English, but I'm not excluding any input.

I, personally, say "everybody" when it's meant generically, in a sense of "many" or "most"; for example, "everybody [people in society at large] goes to the bathroom in the morning." And I say "everyone" to refer to all members of a specific group; for example, "everyone [all friends who agreed to] is meeting at Starbucks at 6:00 PM." Whether or not my distinction is proper, nobody (ha!) corrected me yet.

This thread also applies to these pairings: "somebody" vs. "someone", and "nobody" vs. "no one". And so do my distinguishing methods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 12:48 PM

10,905 posts, read 7,397,769 times
the "body" words seem a bit more casual or fun to me; "one" words seem more formal.

Everybody dance now!
Everyone dance now.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:52 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
What's the difference between Everyone and Everybody?

Old 03-17-2018, 07:14 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Subtly, "one" respects divergent individuals, while referring to a group. "Body" implies a group membership and confluency of some sort. It is something only a retorician might be concerned about. A crafted political speech might make use of the difference. To the lay person, any difference goes over their head except as a vague feeling.

Both are group (three or more people) words, like "y'all." That causes me to wonder if there is a word for such super-plural words?

Old 03-19-2018, 12:27 PM

5,489 posts, read 3,931,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Both are group (three or more people) words, like "y'all." That causes me to wonder if there is a word for such super-plural words?
Realistically, the cutoff has to be something above 3. No one is addressing a group which includes two other people with either 'everyone' or 'everybody', unless they're ironically making note of poor turnout or something. Or possibly making a self-conscious declaration of 'everyone here has done/been involved in _____', which kind of presumes intimacy/knowledge that you know that everyone else there knows that everyone has done whatever X it is you're referring to. If you're saying 'everyone here has done X' in a truly revelatory manner that is designed to make people say, 'Gee, you're right', then you'd need a group of at least I'd say 5. Which might be a good litmus test for when a group truly becomes a group, as in an impersonal entity which might have factions rather than being united together. Three people together are all together, whether they wish to be or not. The point where group members can ignore one another is reached at maybe 5 or 6, which is also when 'everyone' or 'everybody' becomes a useful way of addressing said group' since neither word assumes that all group members would automatically be paying attention, which is the default assumption if the group is smaller. And I agree that the -one words are more formal....

Old 03-19-2018, 02:19 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,881,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
...Both are group (three or more people) words, like "y'all." That causes me to wonder if there is a word for such super-plural words?
"All y'all"

Old 03-19-2018, 08:47 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
"All y'all"

Nope.

Who says, "All you all"?

Y'all means "all of you".

Old 03-19-2018, 10:02 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Nope.

Who says, "All you all"?

Y'all means "all of you".
I have heard "All y'all." many times in the south. It's said for extra emphasis, like "Every single one of you all."

Old 03-20-2018, 12:09 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I have heard "All y'all." many times in the south. It's said for extra emphasis, like "Every single one of you all."
I was born and reared in Georgia and still live there. I have never heard anyone say "all y'all". If you say "y'all", you already mean "every single one of you."

Old 03-20-2018, 04:49 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I was born and reared in Georgia and still live there. I have never heard anyone say "all y'all". If you say "y'all", you already mean "every single one of you."
Sure. It's the extra emphasis that must be what counts.

I think it's sort of like when someone says they agree 110%. Noe one can agree more than 100%. but that extra 10% seems to make the agreement more forceful for some folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing