Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 04:55 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not aware of anyone using the phrase "firing on all cylinders."
I guess you prove my point. You have already transitioned out. Either that or you have never experienced a miss. It just cost me a bundle to fix it, incidentally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 05:50 PM

261 posts, read 189,226 times
When you are around mechanics who work on multiple cylinder internal combustion engines and the engine that is being diagnosed is decided to be "out of tune" due to worn ignition components you will hear the mechanic explain that it is NOT firing on all cylinders. (and needs service to restore it's efficient operation) Commonly called a "Tune Up".

Once old parts are replaced with new parts and properly adjusted, the mechanic will pronounce that the engine is "firing on all cylinders".

Today speaking in "Cliche's" is out of hand. (most noticeably in Insurance TV Commercials) But if you want a real dose of confusion, hang out with Military folks who tend to speak in "Acronym's". Just wait until Flo, and Lizard begin to exploit that.

Example:

Sargent to Corporal: "Go to the DO and get the DFAC sheet. I wanna know how many MIKES till CHOW. That OIC didn't spend enough TIG to learn to follow SOP like he should have.....I hope he's just TDY....grrrrrrr

Old 03-28-2021, 07:45 PM

4,242 posts, read 946,857 times
Quote:
you only think this because you are in a transition position where you have experienced old and new. we dont say "roll" down the window or "turn" up the volume anymore
What do people say now instead of "turn up the volume?" (or just "turn it up")

Old 03-29-2021, 09:33 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
More loud! Make more loud!

Old 03-29-2021, 09:56 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,065,439 times
So, the new-hire on the fishing boat admitted he was inexperienced during the hiring process, but that was an understatement. On his first voyage, he mentioned in earshot of the Captain that he was "Going downstairs to the kitchen for a snack". The Captain stood right up and hollered, "Look here, you landlubber. That's not a "kitchen", it's a "Galley". And you're not going "downstairs", you're going "Below"." Pointing in various directions, he continues: "And that there's Forward, toward the Bow, and that's Aft, toward the Stern. And that's Starboard, and that's Port, and this is the Main Deck, and that's the Wheelhouse. and if you don't learn all the correct nautical terms soon, I'm going to throw you out that little round window over there!".

So yeah, I'd think the EV equivalent to "Not firing on all cylinders" will be something like, "Feels like you're three windings short of a full stator", but that just doesn't have the same "ring", does it? There are many similar sayings (insults) related to someone's intelligence, i.e., "He's two slices short of a full loaf", or "She's two quarters short of change for a buck".

Old 03-29-2021, 09:57 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,483,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
The term will still stay the same. It will be like how we still "roll" down the windows and "turn" up the volume on the radio. The only thing that might change is that we probably won't have to "crank" the starter anymore.
I agree, There are many phrases still in use today that were coined decades or even centuries ago.

"The whole 9 yards" (ww2 ammo belt lenght)
"Hold a candle to" (Apprentices in the 1600's would hold candles for their masters so they could work)
"Off the record" (appeared in the 1920's when records were a popular media format)
"The acid test" (method of testing gold by prospectors in the 1800s"
"Bring home the bacon" (in the early 1100's, a popular English business owner would supplement wages with bacon)
"baker's dozen" (Midieval bakers would give an extra loaf because short changing by weight was a punishable offense)
"ball and chain" (1800's imprisonment method)
"basket case" (ww1 term for those who got arms/legs blown off and needed to be carried around)
"cut of your jib" (sailing term)
"Getting sacked" (17th century term for tradesman getting fired and taking their "sack" of tools home)
"dead ringer" (1800's horse racing term for a cheater)
"In the limelight" (19th century stage lighting)
"Keeping up with the Jonses" (1920's comic strip)
"Mad as a hatter" (early 1800's, hats made with Mercury resulting in mercury poisoning)

A lot of these phrases are regularly used today, even though many don't know the origins, nor were alive when the phrase originated.

I believe "firing on all cylinders" will become a phrase like the above. I use it frequently, and not always referring to an internal combustion engine. In fact, I probably use it more to describe a lot of manufacturing processes I manage running efficiently. I couldn't even tell you the last time I used it referring to a vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
I've never owned a vehicle with roll up windows, nor ridden in one, but I say "roll down the window" when in a car. I also still say "turn up the volume" no matter what i'm listening to. TV, radio, computer, etc.

Just because someone might not use such phrases doesn't mean they are dead. They might fall out of use. My kids will likely grow up using phrases like "roll down the window" or "firing on all cylinders" because it's what I say. But someone elses kids might never hear those terms and thus never make it part of their usual vernacular.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 03-29-2021 at 10:13 AM..

Old 03-29-2021, 10:59 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
Automobiles have had such profound impact on the culture that the language is full of them. You are slipping might be referring to a slipping clutch. Squeaky wheel gets the grease?

Old 03-29-2021, 12:07 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
you only think this because you are in a transition position where you have experienced old and new. we dont say "roll" down the window or "turn" up the volume anymore.

old person phrases get phased out and dont necessarily need to be replaced with a new phrase using the technology that has replaced it.
Sure we do. What do people say about the volume? Turn it up! Turn it down. Every modern car I've been in still has a knob for the volume, even with controls on the steering wheel.

Same for windows, "roll them down" even though they're mostly power windows.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:18 PM

5,734 posts, read 4,691,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
As I am trying to stay woke , I need to come up with a replacement for the expression "firing on all cylinders." They tell me ICE will go the way of the VCR so I have to keep my vernacular up to date. Firing on all electrodes? But then there is no fire.
Trying to stay woke?

I think you mean trying to stay relevant.

Wokeness is about ridiculous liberal/progressive thought and critical race theory terms; not cars.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:50 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Trying to stay woke?

I think you mean trying to stay relevant.

Wokeness is about ridiculous liberal/progressive thought and critical race theory terms; not cars.
Clearly, its meaning is shifting, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing