Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2023, 01:54 PM

2,616 posts, read 3,144,625 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else recall the Write word processing program? I loved it and haven't seen it in years now.

I worked in an office from 1984-1995. Most of us still used typewriters until about 1992. Then, we had some access to a desktop in another department. It was set up with Displaywrite. I first thought that was good but hated it very soon. I would arrange my page with all needed spacing and alignment, etc. Then print it and it was a jumbled mess. Our geek at the time said "oh you have to have 'what you see is what you get' ". Thought that was the whole point of it. So I scrapped that and used my typewriter. At least I didn't have to leave my desk for it.

We got PC's about 1993 or 94 and their package included Write. I fell in love with it first day. Letters and endorsements were easy to preload, then fill in as needed. I made some of my own worksheet documents that were also easy. If I spaced one item it didn't mess up another, etc.

We got our first home computer in 1995, just as I was leaving the company. It had Windows 3.11 and Write was part of the package. No other package later on had it. My wife liked Microsoft Word. I found it too complex. Now, I use Google Docs for most things, but it can be a pain sometimes.

After I retire, I may set up space for a typewriter again. Sometimes it is the ideal thing to fill in forms, etc. I'm partly geezer and still like some things from yesteryear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 07:01 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Sure, I remember write. I actually probably still have it on two of my older computers. What was even better was Works. Not anywhere near as capable as the Word/Excel/whatever suite, but nailed it for casual consumer use.

I have to keep a couple old versions of Windows going because of MSs penchant for breaking programs, so it could sell more.

I'll try to avoid a rant, but when MS decided to try to kill competition in networking (which it did), files that got sent across the network that were NOT MS generated had errors. I had to write multiple error correcting routines in my program to combat the MS BS.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Sure, I remember write. I actually probably still have it on two of my older computers. What was even better was Works. Not anywhere near as capable as the Word/Excel/whatever suite, but nailed it for casual consumer use.

I have to keep a couple old versions of Windows going because of MSs penchant for breaking programs, so it could sell more.

I'll try to avoid a rant, but when MS decided to try to kill competition in networking (which it did), files that got sent across the network that were NOT MS generated had errors. I had to write multiple error correcting routines in my program to combat the MS BS.
Don't think I ever saw Works.

Isn't it sad that Microsoft had to be so jealous and self centered to sabotage communications like that? There's enough money to go around. I think Sony had that thinking backfire on them with the Beta video format didn't they? They wouldn't allow anyone else to use it, so virtually all videos that got made were on VHS. I think I'm right on that. Haven't read up lately.

Old 09-27-2023, 07:58 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Seems like most computer related companies dig away at functionality until you have to buy new.

My Chrome book ran one program well until an update, then announced it didn't have enough memory for it.

A Windows update rendered my expensive Photoshop program unusable... until I found a work-around online.

And every update on my Kindle tablet makes it slower. A few weeks ago, the battery would be at more than 50% at the end of a typical day; now it's at 30%, so I have to charge it every night. AND they keep changing stuff; I used to be able to upload multiple photos at once easily; now I have to upload them one at a time, and navigate back to their storage every time.

I'm due for a new tablet. Don't think I'll get another Kindle.

Old 09-28-2023, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Seems like most computer related companies dig away at functionality until you have to buy new.

My Chrome book ran one program well until an update, then announced it didn't have enough memory for it.

A Windows update rendered my expensive Photoshop program unusable... until I found a work-around online.

And every update on my Kindle tablet makes it slower. A few weeks ago, the battery would be at more than 50% at the end of a typical day; now it's at 30%, so I have to charge it every night. AND they keep changing stuff; I used to be able to upload multiple photos at once easily; now I have to upload them one at a time, and navigate back to their storage every time.

I'm due for a new tablet. Don't think I'll get another Kindle.
Hard not to be a conspiracy theorist. We see too much evidence of planned obsolescence. Most of us will eventually buy new tech; we have to. We shouldn't have it deliberately forced on us when some of what we have is still good. I have seen similar with e mail. When we first got Verizon e mail years ago, it was in a good format. About a year in, they changed it to something totally junky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing