Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 08:35 PM

12 posts, read 43,446 times

Advertisements

Hix...please help me! This poem makes me so confused. To be honest, my ability of poetry is quite bad. Who can help me get the main point of this poem? I guess it tells us something about the meaning of "to live", but I'm really not sure.

Continuing to live -- that is, repeat
A habit formed to get necessaries --
Is nearly always losing, or going without.
It varies.

This loss of interest, hair, and enterprise --
Ah, if the game were poker, yes,
You might discard them, draw a full house!
But it's chess.

And once you have walked the length of your mind, what
You command is clear as a lading-list.
Anything else must not, for you, be thought
To exist.

And what's the profit? Only that, in time,
We half-identify the blind impress
All our behavings bear, may trace it home.
But to confess,

On that green evening when our death begins,
Just what it was, is hardly satisfying,
Since it applied only to one man once,
And that one dying.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 12:41 PM

17 posts, read 54,429 times
I will take a shot at it . Life is what it is. In other words, We make our choices.We decide if were happy or not.Our choices is the only thing we can control,Soooo life is what it is,its in our head,Positive or negative.. Im sure i will be straightened out,thats ok its just a quess...........YG ps.It,s not a very uplifting is it? (the poem that is)

Old 02-25-2015, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,732 times
Consider:

Continuing to live -- that is, repeat
A habit formed to get necessaries --
Is nearly always losing, or going without.
It varies.

That continuing is losing: This clearly leads into the next verse where reference is made the various losses that come with old age. Each day of continuing brings more losses; each say is a diminution of the day before, a ritualized, that is, repeating set of habits that lead to death, loss, degradation.

This loss of interest, hair, and enterprise --
Ah, if the game were poker, yes,
You might discard them, draw a full house!
But it's chess.

Living is a game, but death, our adversary, like chess, is our ultimate checkmate. With poker you would at least have a chance.

And once you have walked the length of your mind, what
You command is clear as a lading-list.
Anything else must not, for you, be thought
To exist.

An interesting verse. Having walked the length of your mind, that is, finished with your thoughts for good, you can see very clearly all that you have accomplished, thought and done. The term "command" refers to the mind's function to subsume or, to borrow from Levinas, totalize what is laid before it. The mind tends to be solipsistic, especially, tough, when death is nearing. One becomes self absorbed with the meaning of one's personal history and the value of it. Others, their problems, the worldly issues in the news yield to the urgency and immediacy of death.

And what's the profit? Only that, in time,
We half-identify the blind impress
All our behavings bear, may trace it home.
But to confess,

This notion of blind impress is important and disputable. Is it a reference to some metaphysical intimation that works from behind the enterprise of a lived life? Is it a kind of old age intimation of immortality? Or is it simply the gathered meaning of all that has gone before, suggesting something completed and whole only. Think as you will on this, it is only half identified, and whatever it is that suggests itself is blind, blind because it does not see you, as a god would see a soul, but its impress has, or appears to have, Promise. But alas:

On that green evening when our death begins,
Just what it was, is hardly satisfying,
Since it applied only to one man once,
And that one dying.

Why green? Suggestive of something vital and promising. Ironic to put this here, in this chess game that no ones wins. It is ironic, and that's life, if you will: The moment we start to consider our death because death is upon us, we begin a novel introspection,we question as if for the first time, and first time events possess possibilities. But in review, we are not given the grand consummation of a spent and labored life. We are alone, dying. We die alone, alone with our thoughts.

This is the heart of the novelty: We cannot fill this death as we filled life by doing more, extending our lading list to one more business deal, one more purchase, one more conversation (notice that a lading list alludes to cargo, freight, something to be discarded, abandoned.

Read more: [url]https://www.city-data.com/forum/writing/504748-who-has-read-poem-continuing-live.html#ixzz3SlNHESYW[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing