Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:14 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,333,578 times

Advertisements

My hope is that this will NOT be a hater thread nor will it be someplace to simply make fun of others. It occurs to me more and more everyday that not all of us are from this country nor are we far along in our respective educational careers. So I encourage all of you to post examples of COMMON mistakes that may help others out. I do not claim to be any special resource on the english language but there are things I have observed to be wrong and I would like to create this forum for identifying those errors. I always consult dictionary.com when unsure of spellings.

*There is a difference between their, they're and there. Jaydub's thread illustrates this point very effectively.

*Not everything is pronounced/said correctly in day to day conversation thusly leading people to “spell as it sounds” and inevitably spell wrong.
- Supposedly not supposively or supposably
- I couldn't care less as in there is no way you could care any less. Therefore "I could care less" is incorrect.
- "For all intents and purposes" is a phrase you use when you are referring to something that is accepted/assumed for a certain situation as true/fact. The purposes are therefore not intensive and there is no such phrase as "for all intensive purposes"

* For all intents and purposes :eyebrows:, semicolons are used to interject an incomplete sentence into a complete one without using and or but. There really is no other use despite how I love to use them. Here's an example:
I went to that restaurant yesterday and had the big ass Angus burger with bacon; it was delicious.

*Apostrophes seem to always be misused
- when a letter is left out of a word to form a "slang" version an apostrophe is used in its place (Hey y’all, I had a tough time gettin' 'em to fit 'n there)
- it's = it is ... not belonging to it (see good example in sentence above)
- when it comes to a series of things, an apostrophe is NOT used no matter what people say. I screwed this up for years until I got blasted on an initial draft of my masters thesis (1990s, EPs, 50s........1990’s, EP’s, and 50’s is incorrect)
- Someone told me yesterday that the plural of Chipotle is Chipotle's and that any word that ended in a vowel will use an 'S when you pluralize it. After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I punched him in the face. Don't make me punch you in the face too.

*when you refer to a single item, the general rule is an “an” is placed in front of words beginning with a vowel sound (A,E,I,O,U) and an “a” is placed in front of words beginning with a consonant sound
- I bought AN egg off at A store and then drank A coke as I drove home in AN ephatch pimp-ass ride.

* Just because 3/4 of people use the term "Daylight Saving[SIZE=5]S[/SIZE] time," does not mean it is correct.
- Daylight Saving Time....you heard me, saving, not savings....go ahead, look it up.

* Have you ever sold anything on Ebay? Ever gone to the store Big Lots? Ever parked in a parking lot? If the answer is yes to any of those, then you hopefully know what "a lot" is. There is no such word as "alot".

This is all I feel to type at work. I will update this as crimes against grammar occur
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 08:49 AM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,745,753 times
Good Morning Mr. Cat.........

I guess, I need to sign up for lessons.~~ I am one of those persons that I am sure make a million mistakes in my spelling...and forget about those little critters called Apostrophes....I think my computer ate them all up LOL

When I write in the forum...sometimes my fingers go to fast..and opps..the mistakes come in LOL

Plus I think~~ in 3 languages so sometimes I get all 3 of them missed up and I get to invent a new word.

Do you think Mr.Cat..That I might be able to write a New dictionary of unsual words?

Have a fun day with this thread!!!

Signed, Yours truly!!

Meowwwwww!!!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:04 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,275 times
Some people are just naturals at spelling/grammar and some just aren't. I am very good at it, but I don't always spellcheck, so may have some typos. My husband spells things wrong constantly, and when I inform him he usually gets out the dictionary to try and prove me wrong! You'd think he'd just agree with me by now. He's very intelligent, but spelling and grammar just aren't his strong points. Kinda like how math isn't mine.

^I also save time by using incorrectly spelled words. Letcha, kinda, nite are a few I use. I know I'm spelling them wrong. I don't text, but it's so popular now I'm not surprised to see u r, etc instead of the whole word. Doesn't mean I'm dumb or anything, I just can't type as quickly as I think!

I did have a friend that used to always say Victoria's Secrets...drove me crazy, and still does today! Oh well! I get what you're saying.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:23 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,740 times
axs me know questions I tells ewes na lies.

Ok I had to got there.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:11 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Ah yes, what the internet be without the grammar nazis.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:50 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,900,886 times
Why this is absolutely REDiculous... Are you loosing your mind, telling people how to spell better in their posts's? You should hop on over to Wal*Mart's and buy yourself a clue!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:58 AM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
What would life be without any 'mistakes'. Everybody would be perfect, how dull.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:59 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Default The Thread To End All Grammar Mistakes (hopefully)

I guess I need to go back to school sad to say that one good knock to the head and it was gone, I even took writing classes but now I don't remember any of it.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:28 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,495,325 times
Whatcha gonna do, 'bout this mess?

Old 03-16-2009, 02:50 PM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
There is rampant confusion regarding, to, too and two. I think most people realize that two is the numeral 2; but "to" and "too" are often used interchangeably.

"To" is a preposition that indicates: movement (he went to her house); purpose (he went there to speak with her); belonging (that belongs to me); extent (to some degree or another).

"Too" is an adverb and it can mean "so" (You did too say that!); excess (That was too much!) or as well as (you broke my heart, and took my pride too?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing