Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:24 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times

Advertisements

"Let’s get right to the point. Misusing words makes you look less intelligent than you really are. If you misuse words in your writing, it can damage your credibility and diminish the point you’re trying to make. Even worse, it could completely change the meaning of the sentence".

What follows is a list of the 32 most commonly misused words and phrases.

1. Accept/Except- Although these two words sound alike (they’re homophones), they have two completely different meanings. “Accept” means to willingly receive something (accept a present.) “Except” means to exclude something (I’ll take all of the books except the one with the red cover.)

2. Affect/Effect- The way you “affect” someone can have an “effect” on them. “Affect” is usually a verb and “Effect” is a noun.

3. Alright- If you use “alright,” go to the chalkboard and write “Alright is not a word” 100 times.

4. Capital/Capitol- “Capitol” generally refers to an official building. “Capital” can mean the city which serves as a seat of government or money or property owned by a company. “Capital” can also mean “punishable by death.”

5. Complement/Compliment- I often must compliment my wife on how her love for cooking perfectly complements my love for grocery shopping.

6. Comprise/Compose- The article I’m composing comprises 32 parts.

7. Could Of- Of the 32 mistakes on this list, this is the one that bothers me most. It’s “could have” not “could of.” When you hear people talking, they’re saying “could’ve.” Got it?

8. Desert/Dessert- A desert is a hot, dry patch of sand. Dessert, on the other hand, is the sweet, fatty substance you eat at the end of your meal.

9. Discreet/Discrete- We can break people into two discrete (separate) groups, the discreet (secretive) and indiscreet.

10. Emigrate/Immigrate- If I leave this country to move to Europe, the leaving is emigrating and the arriving is immigrating.

11. Elicit/Illicit- Some people post illicit things on message boards to elicit outrageous reactions from others.

12. Farther/Further- Farther is used for physical distance, whereas further means to a greater degree.

13. Fewer/Less- Use fewer when referring to something that can be counted one-by-one. Use less when it’s something that doesn’t lend itself to a simple numeric amount.

14. Flair/Flare- A flair is a talent, while a flare is a burst (of anger, fire, etc.)

15. i.e/e.g- I.e. is used to say “in other words.” E.g. is used in place of “for example.”

16. Inflammable- Don’t let the prefix confuse you, if something is inflammable it can catch on fire.

17. It’s/Its- It’s= it is. Its=a possessive pronoun meaning of it or belonging to. Whatever you do, please don’t use its’.

18. Imply/Infer- A reader infers what an author implies. In other words, when you imply something, you hint at it. When you infer something, you draw a conclusion based on clues.

19. Literally- If you say “His head literally exploded because he was so mad!” then we should see brains splattered on the ceiling.

20. Lose/Loose- If your pants are too loose you may lose them. That would be almost as embarrassing as misusing these two words.

21. Moral/Morale- Morals are something you want to teach your kids. If your team’s morale is low, you need to do something to boost their confidence.

22. Percent/Percentage- The word “percent” should only be used when a specific number is given. “Percentage” is more of a general term.

23. Stationary/Stationery- You are stationary when you aren’t moving. Stationery is something you write on.

24. Then/Than- “Then” is another word for “after.” Incidentally, the word “then” makes for boring writing. “Than” is a comparative word (e.g. I am smarter than you).

25. There/Their/They’re- There are few things as frustrating as when I look at my students’ writing and they’re misusing these words in their writing.

26. Unique- Something can’t be “kind of unique” or even “very unique.” It’s either one-of-a-kind or it isn’t. There is no in between when it comes to unique.

27. Your/You’re- If I had a nickel for every time I saw this one… yeah, you know the rest. “Your” shows ownership and you’re is a contraction meaning “you are.” Get it right.

28. To/Too/Two- Two is a number. “To” is used in instances such as, “I am going to the store.” If you are supposed to use the word “too,” try inserting the word “extra” or “also.” If one of those fits, you need to also add the extra “o” to make “too.”

29. Lie/Lay- After you lay the books on the table, go lie down on the couch.

30. Sit/Set- Set your drink on the table and sit in your chair. Got it?

31. Whose/Who’s- Whose is the possessive form of who. Who’s is a contraction meaning “who is.”

32. Allude/Elude- When someone alludes to something in conversation (indirectly references), if you aren’t paying attention the meaning may elude you (escape you).

Which misused words drive you crazy?

Last edited by 2goldens; 08-08-2009 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: Moved from Other Topics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 01:58 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,671,343 times
Redouble- We're going to redouble our effort. Double means to multiply by 2. Redouble would mean to multiply by 4.

We'll be on the air again at 7 AM tomorrow morning. As opposed to 7 AM tomorrow night?

I got a letter today that asked me to "Call and make an appointment-before March 29." Does just the call need to be before 3/29 or does the appointment need to be before 3/29 also.

In regards to #28 which form would you use to tell someone there three ways of spelling 2?

Old 03-17-2009, 02:02 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,051 times
My pet peeve is people pronouncing the word "moot" as "mute". For instance, "What you are telling me is a mute point."

Old 03-17-2009, 02:22 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,269 times
ya know its thoughts like this that drove me crazy when I was younger... Being Dyslexic and Being told you ain't doing it right is a slap in my face. When I was in college I had a great grammer porgram on my computer, Gramatics that helped me write essays that got A's with flying colors.
Since these forums are public, open to all... let it go please. Not eveyone has the time to correct errors and republish quick replies. This isn't a essay board on who can write more better.
I think we all understand the need for correct grammer and writing in the professional office world, this is not that world.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:55 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
ya know its thoughts like this that drove me crazy when I was younger... Being Dyslexic and Being told you ain't doing it right is a slap in my face. When I was in college I had a great grammer porgram on my computer, Gramatics that helped me write essays that got A's with flying colors.
Since these forums are public, open to all... let it go please. Not eveyone has the time to correct errors and republish quick replies. This isn't a essay board on who can write more better.
I think we all understand the need for correct grammer and writing in the professional office world, this is not that world.
I meant no offense to you. My writing is a disaster most of the time but most don't care. I love "spell check", lol. This was just a little FYI that I found and passed it on. I think you are remarkable to overcome your Dyslexia. I can't imagine what you have gone through with learning.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:06 PM

52,684 posts, read 47,937,079 times
Here's one for you: Irregardless. How many times have you heard that word? The correct word is regardless, meaning "heedless" or "in spite of everything".

i.e. He gives kudos to his musicians regardless of how they perform.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:21 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,671,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post

I did not mean to offend anyone. My comments are directed at newscasters, company spokes persons and others who make a living communicating. I think they should know better. Personally my grammar and granpa died before I was born and my tongue gets in the way of my eye teeth and I can't see what I'm saying.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:04 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,858,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7
3. Alright- If you use “alright,” go to the chalkboard and write “Alright is not a word” 100 times.
... and all my life I thought it was awright..

Old 03-17-2009, 04:10 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I meant no offense to you. My writing is a disaster most of the time but most don't care. I love "spell check", lol. This was just a little FYI that I found and passed it on. I think you are remarkable to overcome your Dyslexia. I can't imagine what you have gone through with learning.
No hard feeling here really, Just a bit sore over the years at my own mistakes. Kind like having someone point out you have a mole on you face all the time, it gets a bit tiring.

I need more then spell ckeck I need meaning check. Was it two I meant or to? would or wood? I can spell correctly if I slow down and think about the keys, but don't always get the correct word in there.

didn't mean to get on my soap box about it. sorry all.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:12 PM

973 posts, read 3,304,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
... and all my life I thought it was awright..
It's not "awright" to be out of your room, Mike!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing