Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 06:30 AM

50,357 posts, read 63,939,201 times

Advertisements

I thought Pat Conroy books were a feast of words. They didn’t so much inspire me, but made me feel more inadequate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 01:38 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,705,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I thought Pat Conroy books were a feast of words. They didn’t so much inspire me, but made me feel more inadequate.
Heh.

I often think that I can aspire to write as well as authors I read. But not Cormac McCarthy. I read his prose and just tuck my literary tail between my legs and admit my limitations!

Old 01-25-2019, 12:47 PM

88,550 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I still remember sections from The Prince of Tides that I thought were beautiful.

My favorite book, The Heaven Tree, has the most beautifully written (and unexpected) death scene ever.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:12 PM

192 posts, read 186,317 times
No person or author has ever directly inspired me to write. Good and bad stories in the genres I enjoy have.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:30 PM

1,921 posts, read 2,017,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E. Ryter View Post
...Good and bad stories in the genres I enjoy have.
In a way, I too have been inspired by some of the bad work. The Science Fiction field has always had a lively market for short stories. I read the pro SF magazines, hoping for the next big thing, but often found myself reading subpar work and thinking to myself, "I could probably do better than that." So, years ago, I gave it a try and sold several dozen stories to the mags.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:10 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Yes: Mordecai Richler, J.P. Donleavy, J.R.R. Tolkien, Phillip K. Dick, Samuel R. Delaney, Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, Rex Stout, Ursula K. Le Guin, Paul Rimstead, Trent Frayne and a host of others.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:42 PM

29,215 posts, read 22,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Yes: Mordecai Richler, J.P. Donleavy, J.R.R. Tolkien, Phillip K. Dick, Samuel R. Delaney, Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, Rex Stout, Ursula K. Le Guin, Paul Rimstead, Trent Frayne and a host of others.
Yes, indeed! That's a fine list of inspirers!

I've always loved the way good fiction can transport me into a place or a time I know nothing about, but the work allows me to believe I know. I find myself at home inside a good novel, sharing the experiences of the people who only exist in words and in my mind.

Telling a good story is transportive. A reader gets to be taken on a very good trip every time. The best trips are always those that live on in one's memory, and the best trips of all are taken with a person's imagination.

To me, the best fiction writers all say "Welcome aboard, friend. Let's go for a ride and see something you haven't seen before."

Old 01-27-2019, 01:03 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,705,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
While J.R.R. Tolkien more or less founded the modern sword-and-sorcerer genre, I think that Ursula K. Le Guin reached its pinnacle with A Wizard of Earthsea, a book of both remarkable impact as well as economy. It is one I often go back to read, and it is always rewarding.

I am sad to say that I have never read any Philip K. Dick that I enjoyed much at all, much to my chagrin. So it usually is with me and science fiction.

Old 01-27-2019, 03:34 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
All of them.

But, if I had to narrow it down: Hunter S. Thompson, P.G. Wodehouse, T.C. Boyle, Evelyn Waugh, Wallace Stegner, and Vladimir Nabokov.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:41 PM

4,242 posts, read 947,097 times
Flannery O'Connor, Alice Munro, Eudora Welty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing