Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:12 PM

339 posts, read 1,169,180 times

Advertisements

Often my writing erodes into a pattern of ten key strokes forward followed by back spacing my words into oblivion. I rewrite the same sentence over and over obsessing over every keystroke. I have to force myself to stop editing on the fly and move forward.

To get past my block - I close my eyes and type everything that enters my mind. Call it stream of consciousness, mental vomiting, or therapy – just let the words out. When I open my eyes, I run spell check, move things around and play with ideas.

I like to keep a scratch pad (just a word document) that I informally throw ideas onto. Editing spelling errors is ok but I limit grammar editing to the ideas that I copy from the scratch file to another document.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 09:56 PM

694 posts, read 1,044,144 times
Thanks to all those who offered constructive feedback. I have enjoyed writing for most of my life and have just begun attempting my first novel. I certainly agree that the first step is getting in that chair. I've found that once I start writing the words do come a little easier.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:04 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,350,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
The only time I ever get writer's block, is when I have to write about something I am unfamiliar with, that my research hasn't helped me uncover or reveal. I've heard it a million times...write about what you know....
Great advice and oh so true.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:59 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,583,439 times
Virginia Woolfe overcame this by editing her work the day after. Her routine was to edit yesterday's work, then write the day's. Of course, most know how things ended for her, so maybe that isn't the best plan! 8|

Old 07-17-2009, 08:54 AM

13,255 posts, read 33,612,696 times
Ah, if only I had seen this thread a couple of days ago. Not that this will help you get over writers block, but shopping on-line helps me get my mind off my problems....Shirt.Woot: The Community: The Community: Woot Shirts: Writer̢۪s Block I bought this one for my English major son. Click on the picture to see it better.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:59 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,281,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Virginia Woolfe overcame this by editing her work the day after. Her routine was to edit yesterday's work, then write the day's. Of course, most know how things ended for her, so maybe that isn't the best plan! 8|
Very good example.

Sailor, what you might also consider is that writing and editing are opposing acts. The whole point of writing is to let your thoughts flow uninterrupted onto the paper (Or computer screen). So if you're editing yourself while writing, you are, in effect, stepping on the gas pedal and the brakes at the same time.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:02 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,745,256 times
Being an artist means, not reckoning and counting, but ripening like the tree which does not force its sap and stands confident in the storms of spring without the fear that after them may come no summer. It does come. But it comes only to the patient, who are there as though eternity lay before them, so unconcernedly still and wide ... Patience is everything.

Letters to a Young Poet
Rainer Maria Rilke

Old 08-02-2009, 05:11 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,597,034 times
I just write. BICHOK--Butt in Chair, Hands on Keys. I give myself breaks in between projects. But then it's back in the chair again. And the goals are different depending on where the project is. I use word count for first draft. I use time count for revisions. I use end dates for revisions and submissions and break down what needs to be done to accomplish the goal into manageable chunks.

Right now I am in break mode. Hence being here on the city data forum.

Starting Monday, it's back to the chair again for me.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:39 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,304,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgirl2007 View Post
I would be interested to hear how others get over writer's block (or lack of motivation). Please share.
I stop writing. I go hiking, I read a good book, spend some time with friends and family, relax. I think when a writer gets a block it is because they need to take a break from the story and let it develop more while they focus on something else. I get the best inspirations when I am going about my life not looking for them. If you force it, it will feel forced when you write it and when others read it.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:54 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,038,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Nah. They just take their time and approach it from another angle. I might offer that, at the beginning of a project, not knowing what to write about might be a problem. But once the idea emerges, it's a matter of preparation.
It's unrealistic to think it doesn't. I've read several different perspectives on it by various authors and there are as many causes and ways to handle it as there are authors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing