Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 09:11 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times

Advertisements

C-D WRITING is a new forum. There are some very good writers here. There are some very strong writers here. There is also a wide range of personalities in this new forum. There is much sorting to do between the folks who want to learn the craft, the folks who get paid to do what they love, and the folks who are either curious, or maybe they are afraid to voice an opinion for fear of making a mistake.

This forum can go one of two ways. It can grow into a great forum where senior writers not only want to help struggling writers, they take the time to do it. Or the forum can wither and die from lack of interest.

New writers start with the first word and make mistakes. Writers who earn big bucks make mistakes, too, and so do the editors who clean up after 'em. It takes time and work to hone the skill required to produce the 100,000 word novel New York publishers want to see. This forum is a terrific place to begin.

If you want to write, put some words on a piece of paper and let us see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 09:31 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
"Oh, Sven, Sven, you're the best stable boy I've ever had," the Contessa moaned as he engulfed her with his arms. From her balcony, she had admired his dexterity with a pitchfork and his easy heft of heavy objects. She wondered many times in the past, usually as she slipped into her warm bath or lay awake on lonely nights when her husband was gone to war, what it would be like to be lifted up and taken, despite her protests. Now she knew.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:43 AM

It's great writing. I reminds me a bit of an old once banned novel called Lady Chatterly's Lover. Can you take your opener for a 1000 word spin?

Old 07-17-2009, 09:56 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
It's great writing. I reminds me a bit of an old once banned novel called Lady Chatterly's Lover. Can you take your opener for a 1000 word spin?
If I weren't on deadline, I might do so right now. It's very tongue-in-cheek, as you can guess.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:18 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
"Moderator cut: language, she thought. Just like that Hemingway bit, starting with one true thing. Nothing is truer than a flat tire on a rainy night in the middle of nowhere. She opened the back of the car and started shoving stuff around, trying to get into the compartment with the spare tire and jack without actually having to set anything out in the rain."

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-18-2009 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 07-18-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
"Moderator cut: language, she thought. Just like that Hemingway bit, starting with one true thing. Nothing is truer than a flat tire on a rainy night in the middle of nowhere. She opened the back of the car and started shoving stuff around, trying to get into the compartment with the spare tire and jack without actually having to set anything out in the rain."
I know that feeling and always think of Murphy's Law.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-18-2009 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 07-18-2009, 06:08 PM

69 posts, read 132,138 times
Here's the last thing I wrote today. First draft. Unedited.

Julian slipped through the shadows and entered the rough-paved, waste container lined passage. He didn’t bother trying to be quiet.

Tommy visibly stiffened. He spun and shock flashed across his face. On its heels came fear.

Julian smiled, showing his fangs.

Tommy looked as if he was either constipated or choking on his tongue.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I know that feeling and always think of Murphy's Law.
it's the beginning of one of my novels. A friend who's been critiquing as it grows [and keeps bugging me for more] says it's the only book - or will be - she's ever seen start with that particular word.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:20 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
Default Excerpt

Nothing was left to the imagination, and the music was horrendous. Majdy appeared in his white caftan, and asked each of us what we thought. I said that it was definitely geared toward people who stored their brains below their waists. My comment got a lot of laughs, but I wasn't intending to be funny at all. I just wanted to get out of there. I had never felt so alone in my life, and I wondered why Bud Cliff wasn't at this "important investors meeting".

(excerpt from naughty story)

Old 07-19-2009, 05:57 PM

An excerpt from a different manuscript:

Gerry said gently, "We don’t talk, we don’t write. We have a shared biological heritage. All things considered, I think out of the whole mess, Karlie and I are the only two real human beings. There may be more, I’d like to think so, I’d like to think that some of the others who vanished escaped like we did, but I just don’t know."

At the look on Lynnie’s face, Karlie sighed. "Lynnie, not all families are loving and good to each other. Yours was everything ours was not. Believe me, they would not welcome any contact with us, either." Lynnie shook her lead, looking totally unconvinced. Karlie went on, "Sweetie, my legal first name is Tribulation of the Lord. I always meant to change it legally, but now I have to wait for all the legal bs over the accident to be over and done. Do you think anyone who would give that kind of name to a baby would be kind and loving? And I’d appreciate it if you kept that to yourself."

"But -" Lynnie stopped. "I have to believe you, I guess. It just is so incredible." She looked at Gerry. "You have that kind of name, too?"

"Not anymore, I don’t - my name from them was Trials of Job. Now I’m Gerry Mann, all right and tight and legal. Came across ‘gerrymandering’ in a book once, and I just liked the sound of it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing