Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:50 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,523,795 times

Advertisements

At last a forum that has really caught my eye..

Since it is a brand new forum and some of us may be here often, I think it may be a good idea to know something about what our particular interests or talent for writing is..

As for myself, I have always been most able to share my thoughts, my dreams and my plans by writing them down and since I have been gradually losing my hearing over my lifetime I find it more and more as my main form of communication..Many people get the wrong impression of my intelligence when I do not hear or understand what they are saying..As a result, I find myself withdrawing more and more from conversation in the rw..

I am what I call a ''moody-writer", meaning I have to be in a particular mood to write.. Most of what I write now is about my life and is written for my children, grand children and friends..not to read now, but for after I have passed into the next life.. None of my family except one daughter even knows that I am a member of CD and have posted a few blogs about my life..I have saved many of my posts that express my beliefs, and opinions on other matters..

Cd has allowed me to overcome some of my reluctance in sharing what I write and I have been encouraged by a few friends that I have come to know very well.

What do you write about and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 07:59 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,748,758 times
Good thread Miss Blue

I love to write. My best feelings simply come out that way. If I have periods of my life that I have troubling dealing with I use a journal.
For a couple of years after the death of my brother I wrote about three journals my true feelings. People do not want to hear that you are having a bad day so I learned to write down my innermost thoughts at the time..................I have since shredded it as they were my private thoughts.
Another time was when we were going through the teenage years and they were horrible here in the Crazy household as we did not know how to deal with the challenges of teenagers. The journals gave me my out for a while and they too have been shredded as I never want my children to see my struggles and feel bad. We made it through the teenage years and now my children are 29 and 27 and have turned out to be fantastic adults.

I do keep journals that will eventually go to my children which is very special and I am sure someday will appreciate them.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:26 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,696,719 times
I'm not sure i have one set thing that i write. I use to write poetry. I use to journal. I started writing verses. Mostly, i find when i have paper and a writing utensil, i just write...no set intentions. I dont think about it, i dont concentrate on it.
I feel its important to write..anything and everything.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:34 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,923,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
What do you write about and why?
I overanalyze a lot and so I used to put a lot of my introspecting down on paper (or journal/blog in the PC-days). I haven't been doing it lately but like Miss Blue said, when the mood strikes, I go with it. It almost feels exhilarating when I finish something, even if it's not significant in others eyes. When I had a Myspace a while back, I used to blog frequently and there was actually a friend subscribing to it that was inspired, or at least, appreciated my thoughts. It's mostly about life and human nature.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:05 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,637,812 times
I'm a songwriter and currently working on my first book. Non-fiction.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:32 AM

13 posts, read 29,136 times
I write mainly when Im feeling in an intense mood, good or bad...poetry, non fiction, free writing. I take my free writing and use it for what will be my first book.
eventually i'd like to get into songwriting as I play a bit of acoustic guitar. When I say a bit I really mean a bit:-)

Old 07-08-2009, 10:58 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,672,122 times
Thank you Miss Blue for this topic....and yes, you my dear have such a gift that all who have the opportunity to read your work are truly blessed.

As to what I write....hmmmmm LOL that is a good one. At the moment, nothing. My life is full of busy things like kids, work, work, work, um, I actually do write, but it is all business related right now.

For me, my writing styles have changed with the cycle of my life.

While young, I dreamed of being a romance writer. Oh, how I envisioned myself sitting in front of my typewriter (yes typewriter) hammering out the most beautiful prose imaginable and just knowing everyone would rave over it and I would become a Grand Dame of Romance.

funny how life changes a person....As I grew and matured, I gained experience in life and about many different things. I worked in areas that gave me a birds eye view of life from a different perspective and from that, I grew aware of people in a more intimate way, meaning I could relate to what they were going thru and sometimes even why.

I wrote a newspaper column for just over a year and loved doing it. I had been given free reign on what to write about and took the liberty to write about daily life, dangerous mold and other things, to DIY projects for around the house.

I found I loved doing that, and got great feedback from my small but growing audience.

I miss my column, but another life cycle has found me yet again. In the work I currently do, I have a lot of technical information that needs to be in written format, as well as documents that must be written up and completed. So for the moment, technical and business writing is my forte.

Many of you speak of journaling, and I guess I have done some of that, but not on a large scale. I, too, find that putting my words down helps me get the stresses of life in perspective. I used to do this late at night when everyone had gone to bed, but have not had the desire lately to do so....I can most certainly guarantee that sometime in my future the need will arise once again to journal.

I am so very thankful for this new forum. Thank you all who pushed and wanted to see it happen, and thank you Administration for creating it.

Let's really enjoy learning about and from one another.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:41 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,278,614 times
Well, Miss Blue, I don't know.... It seemed like growing up that I had at least some ability to write, and consequently, I always kinda felt like I SHOULD write something. Problem was, I wasn't very good at writing fiction. So....I just really didn't feel like I had anything to say of much value. I wrote some pieces over the years but not terribly much after high school/college.

As some of you know, after my son died, I wrote a small grief recovery book (and we self-published) based on our own experience with losing a child. I have read better grief recovery books, but I did feel, just based on personal experience, that I had something to add to the subject. There are not a ton of books solely based on losing a child and that is the audience I was specifically trying to address~~bereaved parents.

After that, my husband keeps after me to write something else. I just tell him I don't have anything else to say!

Miss Blue, I wish I could write descriptively and "paint a picture" with my words like you and ai-angel and others can, but that's just not the type of writing I can do. As Buckeye shared above, I found also that I do tend to write when I'm in an "Intense" mood. For example, I never wrote poetry until after Aaron died. But some nights when my soul would be in excruciating pain, it seemed like a release to put it down in words.

In short, I guess I write when I feel like I have something to say!

Last edited by kaykay; 07-08-2009 at 02:52 PM..

Old 07-08-2009, 03:03 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,006,765 times
I write fiction. Some inspired by a simple dream, almost as if someone else is telling me their story and I am just putting it down on paper for them. Hard to describe really. I don't really find myself trying to create the plot as much as being led around by the characters, while trying to describe what they are doing and saying. My biggest problem is deciding exactly how much detail I should go into.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:54 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,621,835 times
I write a zine. For those of you who may be unfamiliar with the term, zines are homemade magazines. There's actually an international community of zine writers, flying well below the radar of mainstream media.

For myself, I do this because 1) I enjoy writing. 2) It's fun to put my zine together from scratch. And 3) there are no rules for producing zines--and therefore, no editors standing over my shoulders to second-guess and criticize everything I write!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing