Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:03 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,111 times

Advertisements

Yay! A writing forum! What the heck took them so long, anyway?!

Like a lot of people, I journal, (didn't we used to call it, "keeping a diary"?). My husband passed away nine months ago, and I have found it to be a release, to write things that I can't, or don't want to share with other people, and that they wouldn't want to hear anyway. There's only so much of the grieving journey that folks are willing to walk with you...

I also write a little poetry, and I've written some articles, and stories that I want to polish a little more, for possible publication. I took a writer's course a few years ago, (writing for children), and enjoyed it immensely. Because of my interest in researching so many different subjects, I think I tend to write better non-fiction. It gives me a jump-off point to work from.

I enjoy spouting off my opinions on the Religion Forum, here on CD, (and, occasionally, some of the other forums, as well). Although, it takes me a long time to post something, because I spend a lot of time rethinking, and rewriting, before I post. Even then, I find errors after the fact, which frustrates and annoys me to no end.

I always start off writing in a notebook, (well, except for my CD opinions, of course), though I do eventually make my way to my pc. Guess it sounds old-fashioned, what with computers and all, but, I think there's something to be said for hearing that scratching of pen, or pencil on paper as one's thoughts and ideas tumble around in one's brain. And, laptops aside, (which I don't have, anyway), it's still much easier to tote around a paper notebook, which I do frequently, when I'm out and about. You never know when an idea might strike you, and I think it's easier to "put pen to paper", than to find a "hot-spot" for your computer, or worry about whether it's charged, or whether it's going to crash, or, "dang, I just accidently deleted three pages", etc. Can you tell that computers and I are not the best of friends? After all these years that I have had one, we still have an uneasy relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 11:10 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
I actually give blogging a lot of credit. A lot of people who had an urge to write, and always felt they should be writing for magazines or published in books, ended up blogging. For many, it's been enough; for some, it's become a punditry career. Either way, it's done some very useful winnowing of the field, since there's really no way for anyone to pressure you to buy or read their blog.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:07 PM

69 posts, read 132,138 times
I write urban fantasy and paranormal romance.

Cheers.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:39 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times
I'm so excited to discover a Writing forum! Between this and the Photography forum, I may never leave the house! LOL

Let's see . . .

I've kept a journal on and off since I was a teenager. At various times, I've tossed them all, only to start up again. I currently have the last 4-5 and just started a new one.

I find I express myself better in writing than in conversation, so I Email a lot and even write snail mail letters on occasion.

I took the same creative writing class four times just because it was easier for me to write with an assignment than to stare at a blank page or computer screen. Often I would go off on a tangent and write something totally unrelated to the week's theme, but the whole point was to get us writing, and that it did. I wrote mostly short stories, autobiographical stuff and poems, the latter mostly rhyming ones.

My very favorite writing that I've done (and through which I met a lot of people and gathered a following) were my daily travelogs that I used to post on a certain website while vacationing in Mexico. People told me that the style of my writing (conversational and very descriptive) made them feel like they were there with me and seeing, tasting, smelling everything as I described.

I just recently started a blog on CD. I can't seem to just pick a theme as I have too many thoughts and too many different interests. But it will be a combination of writing and photos. Eventually I may start one elsewhere, once I get the hang of doing it regularly.

Except for journaling and my live reports during my last trip to Mexico, I haven't tapped into my creative writing mode lately. I've been focusing (no pun intended) on improving my photography skills. But, hey, maybe now I can find time for both! Look forward to participating in this new forum and hope to make some more CD friends here.

Last edited by PhotogGal; 07-09-2009 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: To correct spelling

Old 07-09-2009, 12:58 PM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,746,104 times
Poetry...I am a Romantic at heart..so I have been writting poetry since I was a child, and depending on the mood I am in that is what I write about.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:00 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I write non-profit grant proposals for a paycheck.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:23 PM

33 posts, read 110,131 times
Hello,
I have a journal that I began in 2006 and write in when the mood or moment presents itself.

I too thought, maybe one day my kids will read this and know their mom a bit more....

But then I thought that I didn't want them to read certain experiences I jotted down in fueled emotion regarding their father etc...

So, I'm contemplating just writing a series of 'advice for life' for them to read when they're teens into adulthood.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:05 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
Cool, you wouldn't by chance know a lady named Little Sheba? She's out of Charlotte, NC and had/has her own zine that became wildly popular. Pretty crazy stuff but very interesting.
No, sorry. Can't claim to know all the zinesters out there!

Old 07-09-2009, 02:16 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,005,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
No, sorry. Can't claim to know all the zinesters out there!
Curious why the "forehead smack"? I did say "wouldn't by chance". Just thought it was interesting that I actually know about zines because I use to help Little Sheba print hers out every month. This was back in 2001-2002. She put a lot of effort into it and turned out a really high quality product. Sorry I dared to try a strike up a conversation. I know better now. Little Sheba was super friendly; I guess not all zinesters can claim to be...

Old 07-09-2009, 02:43 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Short stories, mostly humorous snippets of my past or fiction. Along the lines of story telling and such. If I'm in a more somber mood, it comes out in the writing and it's somewhat therapeutic at times. I've entered and won a few writing contests but have never submitted anything for publishing. I don't take myself or my writing too seriously. I've been told by several friends I should pursue writing but I don't know if I could enjoy it if I had to meet strict deadlines. I attempted to write a novel, got about 100 pages into it, and pushed it aside. Sometimes life's day to day grind smothers your creative flow. I've got random short stories on my computer that range from comical, sad, erotic, tragic and just plain old character study type stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing