Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:52 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,415,579 times

Advertisements

I wanna quote this, because you mentioned some VERY good points here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
A very good post. Now, UB, let me offer my two cents.

Books on writing are good and important. At the same time, one can devote so much time to reading books on writing that one puts off the writing itself. ...
Well said here.. The thing with books is this: They can only provide advice - most of the time it's good advice from seasoned writers, but either way, it's still advice. The way I write, I just sit down and get it all out, or as much as I can. Once I've reached a point where, either I get stuck, or I finish the first draft, I'll stop for a few days and grab a couple good books. (I write fiction, historical and fantasy, and for my bread and butter I write business plans, etc) I'll read through them at night and then by the next day or two I'm ready to get back to the tedious process of editing...and editing.. and editing.. still, I find that combining everything keeps me grounded.

For writers who are just starting out, I think it's essential to get a firm understanding of the techniques of writing, as well as a good understanding of the writing process and what authors have to go through. Best way to do that, if you don't have any to ask, is to grab a good book. Even well read writers can get a little insight from what other writers have to say about the craft. Still, as with any trade, these are just tools.. You MUST write to be a writer, there's no substitute.

Quote:
So, all that being said, I think after one has read 2-3 books on writing, it's time to sit down with pad and pen or lay your fingers on the keyboard and start. There's just no better way to learn than by doing.

Your advice on critique groups is really good. At the same time, I would add a caution to that: Critique groups are only as helpful as the maturity of its participants. That means they can shed their own prejudices when reading your work, rather than try to change your book to fit their own ideas of what it should be.
I know, I should have mentioned that.. "My bad.." I was involved in a critique group that, I hate to say it, not a single person there knew anything about writing. I went to two of their meetings, hoping that maybe they were just having a bad session, but quickly realized that I wasn't getting anywhere. When looking for a critique group, either online or off, make sure that there are at least a couple people that can really help: Have they been published? If so, where and how? How long have they been writing? Are they really there to help, or do they just want to "pretend" like they know what they are doing? A good critique group will be tough, but at the same time, they'll fully explain their advice to you.

Quote:
What's more, I would offer that a working writer's conference would be a good idea. Not those podium-based conferences where would-be writers listen to published writers yap about how great it is to be a writer. Instead, I mean conferences where people read your stuff, get under the hood, and really give you reflective criticism in order to help you improve in your craft.

To be honest, in all my years of writing, I've never once been to a writers conference. Still, the value of such is indispensable. Any thing that helps a writer improve his craft is well worth it, especially when you're face to face with a seasoned and knowledgeable writer.

The bottom line is this: Everyone learns in different ways, use whatever works for you. Keep writing. The more you write, the more you learn, the better you'll get. One can't build a house without knowing how to do it, and one can't learn how to do it without lots and lots of practice.

Keep writing...

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-20-2009 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: Just fixed some coding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 01:01 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,415,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Everyone is overlooking the most traditional resource to which writers and authors turn in time of need (journalists and novelists in particular):

Jack Daniels
Ok, man, I thought you were joking... until I read the next line. If I have been drinking, I literally cannot write a single line. (Then again, when I've been drinking, I can't really see the keys on the keyboard to even get started, something about mixing rum with several other things, but I digress...) I wouldn't say that JD is a good resource.. I personally like to take my laptop outside and find somewhere nice and breezy to write - and have a good glass of sweet tea. Still, to each their own, if you have to have a good buzz going when writing, you're allowed, I just don't highly recommend it. I'd hate to have to clean up that mess of the keyboard if my glass spilled...

Still, it made me chuckle... a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing