Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:30 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,580,663 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 12:59 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,371,153 times
writing or reading?

Old 07-28-2009, 12:10 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,580,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
writing or reading?
Ah, sorry, writing.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:51 PM

165 posts, read 396,578 times
I decided not to make my books available as e-book downloads. I based that on the fact that people seem to think they can download and distribute music with no regard for the author. I realize that I'd get wider "word of mouth" advertising if I allowed e-book downloads - but free advertising with no royalties is pointless.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:13 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,350,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
I decided not to make my books available as e-book downloads. I based that on the fact that people seem to think they can download and distribute music with no regard for the author. I realize that I'd get wider "word of mouth" advertising if I allowed e-book downloads - but free advertising with no royalties is pointless.
Amen! There are far too many people on the Internet that totally ignore copyright - and this includes forums that use bots to regularly scrape thousands of posts for information they compile. What they do not know if their conclusions based on a few facts is wrong when compared to the entire picture. Large genealogy sites do it too. They scrape their message boards nightly for names, places, dates and stories. They sad news is the information is sold under their Big NAME copyright. All traces of the name of the original author who did all the work 3-9 years ago is removed.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:39 PM

69 posts, read 132,314 times
I would not mind selling something like a novella or short story to an epub, but not a novel. The payback is too small to give away something that takes as much work as a novel does.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:33 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,344,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
There are some of us who simply cannot read print books. We have to wait for them to be recorded for the talkng book libraries, or buy them as new audio books - which is prohibitive in cost - or get them used on ebay or some similar site. I nearly got one of the new kindles with the text to voice option, but then I found that I was just as unlikely to get what I wanted that way, that many publishers/writers were not allowing titles to be read in that format, or even available for kindle. In some cases, the kindle versions are considerably more expensive than the text version. It's very frustrating for someone who was once a voracious reader, going through 3 to 5 books every night. It was difficult enough shifting from being a natural speed reader to having to listen to someone else reading, which turns what I used to finish in an hour into 12 hours. Having one's options of what's available cut back is even more frustrating. Every once in awhile I think about joining one of those book download sites, but again, most likely, what I'd want wouldn't be available.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:59 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,597,034 times
E publishing is a reality, but right now the trick is to find the right e publisher. Finally the bigger houses are starting to add that element to their options. But this causes a problem for smaller e-presses. They may find they are absorbed by the top guns. Print will always exist for the sheer pleasure of reading in bed, in the tub or by the beach. But e is not going away. I do know of some authors who published e first and then went print. A few e houses have added print as an option. They will probably survive. But the other e publishers don't pay well and there is a very small advance. If you can hold out for a print publisher, be patient cause it isn't easy to get published even if you're a fabulous writer, then keep querying agents and/or find editors that promote print.

And karibear, I'm sorry you've lost something you loved to do. I hope you find a solution. My daughter has a transfer to voice application on her mac that she uses and it's fun, but very mechanical. I would miss reading tremendously.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:51 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,377,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordWarrior View Post
I would not mind selling something like a novella or short story to an epub, but not a novel. The payback is too small to give away something that takes as much work as a novel does.
ditto. there are a lot of specialty magazines that really only exist in online format that would work fine for short stories. someone told me about Baen's Universe and they regularly publish their mag online and make them and some older books available for download. can't think of any other online publishers at the moment, though the subject fascinates me

Old 08-05-2009, 03:08 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,344,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
ditto. there are a lot of specialty magazines that really only exist in online format that would work fine for short stories. someone told me about Baen's Universe and they regularly publish their mag online and make them and some older books available for download. can't think of any other online publishers at the moment, though the subject fascinates me
Baen has a free library on line. Some of the books are no longer available in print, some are the first volume of a series. If you like that first volume, you have a new author to buy books by. I love that site. I'd join even if they charged a monthly fee. There are quite a few other somewhat similar sites, but they are all single genre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing