Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2009, 08:54 PM

256 posts, read 890,945 times

Advertisements

Since this is a writing board and I know you will hate my run on sentences, and my poor grammar...But anyways, I am taking a grammar course and I am lost..I really need help, I have never been taught grammar----and I am 27 bad I know.
This is the stuff I have no clue about. If you can help me in any way that would be great...You can just explain to me what these are and how I use them...
thanks alot...

Here is what I have to post on the discussion board.
Write three original sentences using Pattern #4: Subject + Linking Verb + Predicate Noun.
Use additional modifiers to show you know where they should go.
Write three original sentences using Pattern #3: Subject + Linking Verb + Predicate Adjective. Use additional modifiers for variety.
Write three original sentences using Pattern #2: Subject + Intransitive Verb. Throw in a few prepositional phrases or adverbs for good measure.
Write three original sentences using Pattern # 1: Subject + Transitive Verb + Direct Object. Throw in a few extra prepositional phrases and adverbs or adverb phrases.

Verb phrase
Write three original sentences, each one containing at lest one verb phrase. Underline or capitalize the verb phrases.
Noun
Write three original sentences, each one containing at least one noun phrase. Underline or capitalize the noun phrases.
Prepositional
Write three original sentences, each on containing at least two prepositional phrases. Capitalize or underline the prepositional phrases.
Noun clause
Write an original sentence which contains a noun clause. Identify the noun clause and the subject and the verb of that clause.
Adverb clause
Write three original sentences containing at least one adverb clause in each. Identify the adverb clauses by capitalizing or underlining them
Adjective clause
Write three original sentences with at least one adjective clause in each sentence. Mark the adjective clauses

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-13-2009 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: Corrected coding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 07:58 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,870,561 times
Well, we're not going to do your homework for you. Since you're taking a grammar class, it seems that the best thing for you is to get clarification from your instructor.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:15 AM

5,541 posts, read 7,149,109 times
Along with your course, the great little book "The Elements of Style" is a must-have.

It's available online now at:

Strunk, William, Jr. 1918. The Elements of Style

Old 09-13-2009, 10:03 AM

165 posts, read 396,765 times
EVERY writer needs that little Strunk and White book; no exceptions.

I have about a dozen more on the shelf right above my 'pooter. Besides a really GOOD unabridged dictionary and three or four books on synonyms and thesauruses (thesaurii?). the grammar books I use most are Modern English Usage by Fowler, Usage and Abusage by Partridge (LOVE the title!), The Handbook of Good English by Johnson, and the two-volume set of Webster's English Usage and Webster's Style Manual. If I cannot find an answer to even the knottiest grammar problem in that stack, it is hopeless. I just counted, and there are 16 reference books on that shelf, ALL devoted to grammar and writing - and a few more stashed elsewhere!

Old 09-13-2009, 09:28 PM

11,531 posts, read 30,373,979 times
The toughest grammar book I ever bought is the Chicago Manual of Style, and only because it was considerably cheaper than the NY manual. My friend, a former NY development editor, said the NY houses change style manuals every year.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:37 PM

11,531 posts, read 30,373,979 times
Seriously, Brian, I suspect you are way over your head, and perhaps you should switch you course class to basic English 101. You must understand sentence structure first before you undertake advanced classes. English is one of the few courses where you cannot put the cart before the horse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing