Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:31 PM

6 posts, read 10,220 times

Advertisements

hey all i will be doing an essay for a class and need some opinion on what you guys/gals think about this.

Should society's interest in knowing the identities and locations of released sex offenders outweigh the privacy and personal safety concerns of the offenders?

any and all help is really appreciated and please explain why. thanks so much for all the help.

Last edited by CJ202; 09-20-2009 at 09:14 PM..

Old 09-20-2009, 09:04 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,870,561 times
What is it that you want to know? (And I'll tell you what we tell everyone -- we're not going to do your homework for you ..... )

Old 09-20-2009, 09:14 PM

yea in not expecting you to do the essay. im just want to get differnt peopls opinions on the questions so i can have different perspectives in my essay.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:12 PM

any one have any opinion on this.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:54 PM

89 posts, read 202,464 times
You might get more bites if you post this in the politics or parenting section. Since you aren't asking advice on HOW to write, right? You just want opinions and arguments on the subject matter? If that's correct, think about the different demographics you would like to survey and then think about which threads they would most likely frequent, then post there.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:01 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,505,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ202 View Post
yea in not expecting you to do the essay. im just want to get differnt peopls opinions on the questions so i can have different perspectives in my essay.
I think you meant to say:

"I just want to get different people's opinions on the questions, so I can have different perspectives in my essay."

Just a tip for future reference: When you are asking for help with English or Writing homework in a "Writing" forum, you might want to at least write out the entire request without abbreviations.

Abbreviating your requests just suggests you are so lazy and can't be bothered to do your homework that you won't even take the time to make the request in the best English you can muster up.

If you can't even explain the assignment in complete English, how can someone who might be willing to do your homework for you (or help you with it) even be sure you are capable of copying it correctly?????

Old 09-22-2009, 08:50 AM

2,183 posts, read 5,566,047 times
Quote:
hey all i will be doing an essay for a class and need some opinion on what you guys/gals think about this.

Should society's interest in knowing the identities and locations of released sex offenders outweigh the privacy and personal safety concerns of the offenders?

any and all help is really appreciated and please explain why. thanks so much for all the help.
good question... i say the locations shouldn't be exact on the very dot - i could be wrong of course but it seems a vigilante could take an illegal opportunity ... the faces should be known... and the names. why: because we want to protect the innocent & helpless.

i heard that in Springfield Oregon, if a guy opens his big mouth & verbally harrasses a hooker in the downtown hooker district, he can be arrested as a sex offender... it's deemed he's soliciting but i think it's a stretch if he's just being a jerk... not that it should be considered 'nice' but not a felony! ... just hearsay... i'm not sure a person doing that would really be convicted but that's what i heard...

kate

Old 09-22-2009, 12:06 PM

88,932 posts, read 85,461,719 times
Quote:

I have an opinion that the sex offenders gave up their right to privacy regarding their identity and location when they chose to disregard the personal safety of their victims. I'd like to see them branded, actually, right smack in the middle of their foreheads for all to see. Especially if their victims were children.

Not because of who they are, but because of whom we as a society should be, they should not be subjected to physical attacks. However, I wouldn't feel too bad about it should this happen.

Kind of like I am against capital punishment but didn't shed any tears when they fried Ted Bundy.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:08 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,469,013 times
If this is a position paper it still must be expository, so you have to include unintended consequences of the law. For example, by creating hostile environments the offenders then are concentrated in certain cities, areas or neighborhoods. This is a ramification, not an argument pro or con, but is it fair to those areas? Offenders also are more prone to go underground. Again, not an statement against registration but a measurable effect of it. If this is a position paper you need to prepare an argument.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:37 AM

27,200 posts, read 46,771,397 times
Considering rates of recidivism, names and addresses should be provided upon release, so that people can be on guard against that person. I am of the opinion that people don't really change, and that jail/prison does not effectively rehabilitate an offender.

This would be the same for ANY sort of prisoner released, not just specific ones, like they do now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing