Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 11:21 PM

366 posts, read 597,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
You might read/post on eHow's message board/forum for honest talk about how much money can be made on these types of websites. Generally, they are not huge money makers.
eHow is owned by Demand Media, a competitor to places like Associated Content, so naturally they are going to bash them. And before you get the idea, don't bother signing up for Demand Media if you have no paid writing experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 03:20 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,508,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfan View Post
eHow is owned by Demand Media, a competitor to places like Associated Content, so naturally they are going to bash them. And before you get the idea, don't bother signing up for Demand Media if you have no paid writing experience.
They talk about all paid writing sites on the eHow forum.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:29 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,339,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
You won't make a living writing for AC. I occasionally write for them and in five years, I've made about $2500 or $500 or so a year. I do very little for them these days but I do get about $35 a month "royalties" from the articles that are still up.

Unfortunately, you probably will not making a living writing for any of the content sites online.
I agree. I've written 35 to 40 articles for AC in the past and page views just don't add up fast enough to make it worth the time it takes. Making a live with any online writing site would very hard to do.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:00 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,489,575 times
Default Need several eggs in your basket

Combining residual payment companies with upfront payment companies is how some writers are making a living. Not quit-your-day-job money, but it's something.

There's a "writing jobs" forum at workplacelikehome. Lots of good information there. No, I don't own the site/not trying to spam - I just REALLY like wplh and think it's worth a look.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:08 AM

859 posts, read 3,326,199 times
AC really doesn't pay enough to make a living.

You can make pocket money or extra money...but they really don't give you a lot.

There are some ways to write online and make a good income, but AC is not one of the best.

But AC is good for people with little experience who maybe want to put some articles together.

Over time if you become a better writer or have more clips it can be easier to get accepted to some of the better paying internet gigs that don't take just anyone.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:20 PM

105 posts, read 354,275 times
You have to really crank out the articles. AC is a good way to get a little extra money in your paypal account for small purchases. I make about $50/month in royalties on just over 150 articles. If you cranked out 8 to 10 keyword dense articles a day, you might be able to do it. For me, it's just a little hobby income since I can find the time to write little 400-500 word snippets here and there.

Here's an unofficial pep talk: Write Your Way Out! - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Old 01-24-2010, 10:37 PM

23 posts, read 38,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
Good for you!

Very doubtful that you could make a living with AC. Try Demand Studios, though, if you're interested in a higher upfront payment (no residual payments). I've also had a few articles at Ehow.com earn quite a bit, but that, like Associated Content, can be hit or miss. Good luck!
I write for Demand and do quite well. With my full-time work being hit or miss with hours right now, I use it to supplement my income. After this week, it will be my full-time income and there are quite a few writers there who do it for their living. Some do quite well with over $1000 a week. The problem is that I believe the OP is from Romania, and Demand Studios is currently limited to US writers I think. You could always check.

If you have time, writing for AC isn't a terrible idea. While you won't get rich quick by any means, picking and choosing subjects that are in high demand and then punching out a few quick articles about them can pay quite a nice fee over time. Try checking Yahoo for popular searches. It's right on their homepage and writing about the ones that interest you. You can write about whatever you want at AC and their guidelines are simple to meet.

I've posted articles there that were rejected by Demand and been paid upfront for my work and retained the residual income as well. If you love writing, you can't lose when you make anything at all doing it. Work with what you have and it could turn into something great. In the meantime, throw up a free website and promote yourself with links to you work. Feel free to contact me for more information. Best of luck.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:13 PM

162 posts, read 306,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxingpoetic75 View Post
I write for Demand and do quite well. With my full-time work being hit or miss with hours right now, I use it to supplement my income. After this week, it will be my full-time income and there are quite a few writers there who do it for their living. Some do quite well with over $1000 a week. The problem is that I believe the OP is from Romania, and Demand Studios is currently limited to US writers I think. You could always check.

If you have time, writing for AC isn't a terrible idea. While you won't get rich quick by any means, picking and choosing subjects that are in high demand and then punching out a few quick articles about them can pay quite a nice fee over time. Try checking Yahoo for popular searches. It's right on their homepage and writing about the ones that interest you. You can write about whatever you want at AC and their guidelines are simple to meet.

I've posted articles there that were rejected by Demand and been paid upfront for my work and retained the residual income as well. If you love writing, you can't lose when you make anything at all doing it. Work with what you have and it could turn into something great. In the meantime, throw up a free website and promote yourself with links to you work. Feel free to contact me for more information. Best of luck.
I'm just learning this business and am shocked at the payment offered for web content -$1 - $5 per article? Doesn't it take time to do research before writing it and how does that make it worth the time and effort involved?

Old 02-22-2010, 02:28 PM

273 posts, read 702,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddles View Post
I'm just learning this business and am shocked at the payment offered for web content -$1 - $5 per article? Doesn't it take time to do research before writing it and how does that make it worth the time and effort involved?

I think what happens is there are a lot of people out there who simply read articles on sites then simply do a rewrite and submit them as their own, thus there are so many articles out there that there isn’t good money at it.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:17 PM

162 posts, read 306,651 times
Hmm. S'pose it doesn't hurt to do it for the practice at least, until you can build up a good enough portfolio for more lucrative work. I recently quit my job as a nurse and hope never to have to go back to it.I've always had a desire to write and now I am determined to get serious about it. I'm even entertaining the idea of going back to school for a degree in English. I just feel that I've spent half my working life in a job that I loathe, I would love to spend the next half doing something I actually enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing