Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 03:23 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,701,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaya View Post
Writing about anything for some extra cash sounded a good idea and the task seemed easy to fulfill. So I've created an account and submitted my first article which I am very proud of. Today I have got the page view estimated report: 2 views per day! How come? This is the article if you are curious about it College Life: How to Handle Nasty Roommates - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

How about you? What do you think about Ac? Is it a waste of time or I have no talent at all?
Honestly, your article is really poorly written. In fact, most Associate Content articles are. I can't recall ever seeing a decent one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,295,836 times
Never write for a content mill. They are exploitative, pay in peanuts, and in all honesty, I don't know any publisher who looks upon them favorably. The material is not vetted, and traditional publishers know this.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddles View Post
I'm just learning this business and am shocked at the payment offered for web content -$1 - $5 per article? Doesn't it take time to do research before writing it and how does that make it worth the time and effort involved?
Yes, if you are a professional and you abide by journalistic standards and ethics, do background research, conduct interviews, and work with an editor. My rates are a $1 a word.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:16 PM

522 posts, read 1,407,877 times
I've been writing with them for many years now, and it's doable. I wouldn't say you could make a good living writing with them, and you'd really have to write a lot and build up an audience, as well as learn SEO. If I had a "real" writing job, I probably wouldn't be doing it on a regular basis, but it's something if you're unemployed and having trouble finding work. I've tried the other places and didn't quite liked it as much as AC. With AC you get upfront payments and royalties. A lot of the other sites don't do that.

I've written/published over 200 pieces with them.

Back in Dec. they made me one of their featured writers so I get first dibs on higher paid assignments in my category. On top of that, I get featured on the front page, which means more page views.

FYI: I have written for a real publication before. A few of these writing sites have been discussed in my journalism classes, and my professors don't see anything wrong with it if you're just looking for exposure and experience, as long as you remember to write well and not churn up garbage.

Last edited by LibertysFate; 03-12-2010 at 04:26 PM..

Old 03-13-2010, 01:30 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,701,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertysFate View Post
I've been writing with them for many years now, and it's doable. I wouldn't say you could make a good living writing with them, and you'd really have to write a lot and build up an audience, as well as learn SEO. If I had a "real" writing job, I probably wouldn't be doing it on a regular basis, but it's something if you're unemployed and having trouble finding work. I've tried the other places and didn't quite liked it as much as AC. With AC you get upfront payments and royalties. A lot of the other sites don't do that.

I've written/published over 200 pieces with them.

Back in Dec. they made me one of their featured writers so I get first dibs on higher paid assignments in my category. On top of that, I get featured on the front page, which means more page views.

FYI: I have written for a real publication before. A few of these writing sites have been discussed in my journalism classes, and my professors don't see anything wrong with it if you're just looking for exposure and experience, as long as you remember to write well and not churn up garbage.
Honestly, I can't imagine your 200 articles are up to the same standards of quality as what any of us read in "real" publications. If they were, you would have sold them elsewhere for decent pay.

Unrelated to your post:
I do wish AC articles and the like would disappear -- too many of their "writers" work hard to make sure they get page views. That is understandable from the point of view of the "writers" wanting to get paid, but it does a disservice to readers who are looking for a real article on a subject of interest. We have to wade through 5 pages of utter garbage when we google search.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:08 PM

I have a very specific problem with content mills, beyond the exploitation of writers. I'm a health writer, and the complete and absolute garbage I've seen spewed out on those sites is badly written at best, downright dangerous at worst.

When I write an article, it goes through all kinds of review by medical professionals. Even the "best" of content mills are merely copy-edited. There is no vetting. There is no fact-checking. There are no standards.

To paraphrase Mark Twain, be careful of what you read in health articles from a content mill. You may die of a misprint.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:46 AM

310 posts, read 1,702,512 times
Default Anyone here had experience writing for website Associated Content? Pros, Cons? Advice, Tips?

Just found out about this website, AssociatedContent.com (Frequently Asked Questions - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com), which pays contributors for writing articles, reviews, essays.

Anyone here use this for publishing online? Good/Bad experiences? Any advice/tips for getting paid for online writing here?

Old 11-03-2010, 12:59 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,489,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
Just found out about this website, AssociatedContent.com (Frequently Asked Questions - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com), which pays contributors for writing articles, reviews, essays.

Anyone here use this for publishing online? Good/Bad experiences? Any advice/tips for getting paid for online writing here?
See post #14 above.
The WPLH forum requires free membership but they have an Associated Content thread there that could help you.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:48 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,104,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddles View Post
I'm just learning this business and am shocked at the payment offered for web content -$1 - $5 per article? Doesn't it take time to do research before writing it and how does that make it worth the time and effort involved?
Of course it does. I either write about subjects I know or want to learn about anyway. Yes, the payments are small. But it can be a stepping stone to bigger and better things. And you are being paid to develop your own catalog of published articles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing