Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 10:18 AM

13 posts, read 18,079 times

Advertisements

Oh-and to add- the best writers READ. Read the best. Research niches that need to be filled on the market. Consumer trends statistics is a good place to start
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 10:10 AM

963 posts, read 3,042,275 times
The other unfortunate truth is that the business of writing is in a downward death spiral. Fewer and fewer people are reading print media as the Internet and other multimedia forms of presenting information predominate. Newspapers and magazines are folding. Book publishers are struggling to keep their doors open. College-educated journalists are looking for work. Much of the work that was previously paid is now done by volunteer writers. Many of those who do get published are not professional writers per se, but professionals in other lines of work whose knowledge is being sought. It's expertise of content that gives writing proposals market value; editors are always able to polish up the prose.

Last edited by Brenda-by-the-sea; 05-15-2010 at 10:22 AM..

Old 05-30-2010, 07:43 PM

74 posts, read 210,805 times
Brenda:

Your observation was extremely interesting to me.... I guess I wouldn't necessarily call it a death spiral--more like a HUGE transition. In a lot of ways, I think things like Kindle, iPhones, iPads etc are bringing back a huge number of people back into reading. I do think though--to your point--that the forums are changing.

My sense is that there is less mass appeal to things such a lengthy and complex novels---that's going to become more and more of a niche, unfortunately. However--people are diving into written communication more than ever--from blogs, to forums like this one, to articles on online versions of magazines etc.

There are opportunities for writers now that were not open before--ways to take your words directly to the readers without a middle man. What is going to be harder, however, is to do it in a profitable way......

That's what I am trying to figure out!

MB2C

Old 08-15-2010, 11:17 AM

I agree with Momma here-we as a human race have always evolved-from writing on caves, stone, papyrus, paper, ect. We will adapt and evolve, but we can't close ourselves to the art of human expression....without it, we will be lost. We must keep moving forward!

Old 08-15-2010, 11:32 AM

To add to my last comment, let us think a minute. Here we are, connected strangers in this vast cyber network, claiming our place within it, as it belongs to all of us. The future is pregnant with endless possibilities. Cool to think about

Old 08-15-2010, 11:37 AM

773 posts, read 2,639,595 times
Default Re: I like to write, people compliment me on it-how to run with it?

— remain a business major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing