Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 11:38 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,359,663 times

Advertisements

National Novel Writing Month starts today. I'm actually going to do it this year!

National Novel Writing Month

National Novel Writing Month - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 12:40 PM

313 posts, read 1,054,079 times
Me! Whether or not I'll come close to finishing remains to be seen...

But several of my students (about half the students in each of my two classes, sixth graders) are doing it, so maybe that will motivate me. I have the idea, but it's finding the time. I have to work it into my class so that they write during independent writing and reading time, but I'll still have the rest of my kids to work with.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:17 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,564,587 times
Me, with a dying keyboard.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:40 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,934,307 times
I'd like to--but I'm in the middle of my own competition: desperately trying to finish a novel over my six-week break. Which, seeing that I didn't commit to the idea till half-way through, I don't think I'll win this year! However, I'm really hoping to be done with it by mid-november at the latest and by then, I'll probably be too exhausted to start another (not to mention busy transferring all that I've written to the keyboard, since its written all on notebook so far. Which is new for me, but I'm frightened to switch mid-way).

Old 11-09-2009, 08:17 AM

4 posts, read 9,693 times
I've finished NaNoWriMo every year since 2005. I'm retired and have time to write every day. I also publish and enter contests, as well as "lead" a creative writing class at a local Methodist Church Shepherd Center.

Mitch

Old 11-09-2009, 12:31 PM

88,676 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisle S. Mitchell View Post
I've finished NaNoWriMo every year since 2005. I'm retired and have time to write every day. I also publish and enter contests, as well as "lead" a creative writing class at a local Methodist Church Shepherd Center.

Mitch
That is great! That's my goal.

I signed up but I am in the middle of moving so haven't had time to do what I wanted to do.

I'm still going to use the opportunity to write during the days I have off after the move.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:15 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,564,587 times
I'm out. Life got in the way. I'll finish up in January.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:03 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,934,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisle S. Mitchell View Post
I've finished NaNoWriMo every year since 2005. I'm retired and have time to write every day.
That is my goal as well--or at least to just work part time so I could have more time to spend on writing. Well, I didn't finish my novel at the end of my break, however--I did get about 60,000 words done (as a rough estimate, which I probably actually underestimated; as soon as I get it to a computer I'll have a better idea). So--at least according to the nanowrimo rules, I would have won!!! (had they started in mid-october!).

Old 12-11-2009, 11:31 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,105,921 times
Yes! It's an early New Year's resolution of mine. I've been working on a novel for about a year and am now only about 80 pages into it. It's about a young struggling musician in California who has a day job at a factory where they make lawn & garden products & tools, kinda like Scotts or something. Among their products are outdoor thermometers. One day while he's outside on break smoking a J by a dumpster he comes across some thrown away documents from their R & D department which devulge that they are deliberately altering the mercury solution in their thermometers--and the electronics in their digital thermometers--so as to alter the visible temperature, making it a few degrees cooler than it really is, as part of a government-ordered conspiracy to hide the fact that global warming is underway. The kid figures this is a great opoprtunity for a blackmail scheme and begins his scheme.
Then he's all of a sudden beset by a visit from the men in black who take none-too-kindly to his plan.
Mayhem ensues..but the kid is more wiley and formidable than these spooks realize.
Tentative book title: "Stay out of the Kitchen"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing